All profit supporting   special needs music

Saxophones Cannonball Gerald Albright Alto

Saxdiva

Older, wiser, should know better....
Locality
Burgess Hill, West Sussex
they could always send him a big-bell tenor, I`m sure he`d appreciate it as an upgrade from his BW :thumb:

Anyway Saxdiva, how are you finding the Albright after a week of settling in, have you found your ideal match ?

It's my ideal match for a contemporary sound with a TW Gaia and Vandoren Java TENOR 3.5s. Got into altissimo for the first time. Great action. So well built. Gorgeous. The two necks allow a change too.

For the vintage French moments, nothing will come close to the MKVI. Awesome sub tone especially. It's fabulous going from one to the other.

Poor Yanagisawa - there's always a sop in future - but there's a Gerald Albright version of that too!

Ads

Locality
North West UK
It's my ideal match for a contemporary sound with a TW Gaia and Vandoren Java TENOR 3.5s. Got into altissimo for the first time. Great action. So well built. Gorgeous. The two necks allow a change too.

For the vintage French moments, nothing will come close to the MKVI. Awesome sub tone especially. It's fabulous going from one to the other.
Poor Yanagisawa - there's always a sop in future - but there's a Gerald Albright version of that too!

Sounds like an ideal setup, two totally different sounding Altos from different eras , you landed the right mouthpieces fast thankfully : . as for the Sop, I didn`t realise there was an Albright one, is it a straight or curved?, Yani do really know what they`re doing on that front and there`s supposedly an Andy Sheppard Autograph one being planned . all sounds out of my price bracket..... I find Altissimo is tough going on the Alto so far, I DO need to get a wider piece though .

Reagrding two totally different horns , I`m attempting this color difference in Alto to a lesser degree by adding a Purple Logo neck to my warmer YAS62 Mk3 but you can`t beat totally different designs and ages . I`ll get a Conn 10M hopefully at some stage to do this for me for Tenor (Tenor is my main horn of course )

Saxdiva

Older, wiser, should know better....
Locality
Burgess Hill, West Sussex
Sounds like an ideal setup, two totally different sounding Altos from different eras , you landed the right mouthpieces fast thankfully : . as for the Sop, I didn`t realise there was an Albright one, is it a straight or curved?, Yani do really know what they`re doing on that front and there`s supposedly an Andy Sheppard Autograph one being planned . all sounds out of my price bracket..... I find Altissimo is tough going on the Alto so far, I DO need to get a wider piece though .

The Albright soprano is curved and comes in the same colour combinations as the alto. They may also do a straight. Costs a few hundred less than the alto. I'm waiting or sax.co.uk to get one in then I'll try it up against the Yani SC992.

I can manage high front f on the Packer soprano you kindly sold me and it sounds fine pitch wise. I can make noises of a higher pitch too, and I frequently do when practising altissimo on it. However, these cannot be described as musical in any way, more like something dying. Not sure why I'd want to do sop altissimo anyway, but I take it into work and practice then it seems easier to translate to alto having practiced on the sop.

Ads

Locality
North West UK
LOL . I`ve actually managed Altissimo on Sop easier than Alto for some strange reason but as you say it sounds less than musical to put it mildly, it`s one of those "Do it because you can" things .. I`m not convinced it`d sound any more musical on a Yani or Albright Sop (well, not with me doing it anyway) , these things go high enough as it is - want higher, it`s Sopranino time :D which I`ve been thinking about too ..

Let us know what you think of the sound of the Albright Curved, the JP is a good comparison horn as it sounds more like a straight than my brassy Elky-300.... It`d be interesting to see if the Black curved has the same visual impact as the Alto..

photoman

Daydream Believer
Locality
County Limerick Ireland
I`m not convinced it`d sound any more musical on a Yani or Albright Sop (well, not with me doing it anyway) , these things go high enough as it is - want higher, it`s Sopranino time :D which I`ve been thinking about too ..

I listened to, photographed and met Courtney Pine recently at the Cork Jazz festival. The first time I heard him live was many years ago when he supported Elton John at the RAH. I knew he was fast, but had forgotten how high he goes.

Those altissimo notes were extremely high. At one point, I think the humans stopped hearing them but several canine ears pricked up outside.

Were they musical? Well, it's not my favourite sound (I like the tenor and the lower end of the alto better if I'm honest) but they definitely were more like high notes than screeches.

I even got his new album - on a (signed) USB "stick" - more of a small credit card that plugs into the computer. Ingeniuous. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Ads

Locality
North West UK
Sounds like I`ve got a bit to learn on Soprano Altissimo ....... I`ve just had my 62 Alto back from Steve Howard and it`s a changed horn , i`m sure Altissimo won`t be the struggle now that it was before , no wonder the Taiwan-rebuilders like Cannonball, TJ, Mauriat etc are getting the new sales and everyone is chasing Purple logos and vintage stuff (all of which either has been or will be through a full setup process) , the setup of this brand new Yamaha was abysmal and Steve`s transformed it into what it should have been and some !, the action is low, light and fast now..

Locality
Sandy, Utah, USA
The Albright soprano is curved and comes in the same colour combinations as the alto. They may also do a straight. Costs a few hundred less than the alto. I'm waiting or sax.co.uk to get one in then I'll try it up against the Yani SC992.

The GA Signature Series sopranos come in both curved and straight, because Gerald plays both: curved for recording, and straight for live performances. There's some little-know trivia for you :)

Ads

Locality
North West UK
The GA Signature Series sopranos come in both curved and straight, because Gerald plays both: curved for recording, and straight for live performances. There's some little-know trivia for you :)

I guess he doesnt gig with a curved because they look like Toys ..... when I turned up with mine, the band thought it was a £12 Bontempi plastic kids one until they got up close, none of them had seen a curved, it would seem that Credibility has yet to reach the Curved Soprano :( ... I bet the Black Curved looks real cool