• New!

    Try our new Social Feeds, look out for the navigation icon: . You can now set default social feed view in your account preferences.

Tech/maintenance 1946 The Martin Tenor - an overhaul thread

This was bottle of BKF paste, applied to a cotton terry cloth, then either gentle or medium scrubbing. No brush. Then a simple wipe down with a clean part of the towel.

I'm very pleased with the results! I figured I couldn't make it any worse, so did a small spot, and it came up with minimal effort. Some dark spots took more effort, but still I'd consider minimal. Not perfect, but it's 80 years old!
Great results ! Non abrasive too. I don’t care for Brasso.
Finally a good use for rhubarb 🤣
I assume you either made a paste from powder or used the soft cleanser ?
Either the company recommends a water rinse afterwards. Removes residual oxalic acid.
1787103154738.webp
 
Great results ! Non abrasive too. I don’t care for Brasso.
Finally a good use for rhubarb 🤣
I assume you either made a paste from powder or used the soft cleanser ?
Either the company recommends a water rinse afterwards. Removes residual oxalic acid.
View attachment 36615
I used the Soft Cleanser. Worked great as seen in results above. I may wet a rag and wipe it down then dry with another rag. Then coat areas with lemon Pledge once done.
 
I have been very busy lately and havent worked on the Committee much.

Last week I went over the body with BKF and give it a good once over. Its already starting to re-tarnish and has a dark gold hue.
11798.webp



Today I did the keys with BKF to clean them up. They turned out pretty nice! Some still have patches of lacquer. Low B and Bb lacquer is pretty much fully intact.
11797.webp
 
Looks like we'll be moving back to CO for my work. Not heartbroken as I don't care for FL anyway.

My ability to work on the sax will be delayed. In case we moved faster, I put it back together as is (no pads or corks) to make transport safer (and to not lose anything).
11812.webp

11813.webp
 
Nice old original rollers. Pick all the crud out of the slots. Tighten-loosen-tighten-loosen-tighten-loosen-…wiggle, repeat. Go gently and be thrilled if the come out easily and actually separate/ freely as two bits. Sometimes the pin will turn and the roll is stuck on rust. Music Medic sells Alum to dissolve the steel for this issue. New pin is necessary. Personally I’ve never had any luck with this technique.
I've yet to try it, but if I were I'd get the Alum on amazon for about half the price.
 

Similar threads... or are they? Maybe not but they could be worth reading anyway 😀

Trending

Latest Song of the Month

Forum statistics

Topics
32,265
Messages
576,208
Members
8,084
Latest member
Richard Walker
Back
Top Bottom