• New!

    Try our new Social Feeds, look out for the navigation icon: . You can now set default social feed view in your account preferences.

Beginner Saxes Yamaha YTS280 v Trevor James EVO (Tenor)

Thanks cappers, it sounds like you are on the same journey that I'm hoping for. Learning for the fun of it and the love of the Instrument. No drama, no pressure just have fun and hope that along the way it starts to sound less awful.
 
Ther are many good saxes and Yamaha rules. They use to be considered to be the best saxes to start on. But most aspiring saxplayers starts on other brands!!

I think your love for the tenor sax is a good start. And you also know how your tenor should sound.

Teacher? An openminded teacher/saxplayer who listen to you and your wishes is the thing. I'm more or less self-taught. As self-taught I'm glad I was soo open-minded and understanding when I wanted to sound and play like sax heroes.😉

Just one more thing. Yamaha student mouthpieces are terrible if you prefer the dark, fat and smokey tenor sound.

Have a pleasent and fun sax journey.
 
Interesting about the Yamaha student mouthpiece. Do you have any suggestions of an alternative or would it be best to start with that and move on once I've developed my breathing and embouchure
 
A new yam will come with a 4c. A new TJ, as far as I can remember, comes with a Bari. Both suitable to start with and may be all you'll ever need.

If you think which sax is a conundrum, mouthpieces can become a distracting rabbit hole and then there's reeds.
 
Totally agree on the reeds front, there's makes, cuts, thickness and then materials. Like the idea of synthetic for consistency and the ease of use but the traditionalist in me leans towards cane
 
Interesting about the Yamaha student mouthpiece. Do you have any suggestions of an alternative or would it be best to start with that and move on once I've developed my breathing and embouchure
I think a "Rico" (D'Addiario) used to be called "Gratonnite" as well, is a good mouthpice for beginners. Three differnt size of the chamber (A large, B medium, C small) and three differnt tip openings.
 
Reeds! Pha!
Like the idea of synthetic for consistency and the ease of use but the traditionalist in me leans towards cane
IMHO - and this may blow the thread up - get a Legere. I guess quite soft 2.25 or such. Ask in the shop or here (then run!). Just one less thing to worry about. I'm sure I've got 20% more practice time in having switched to synthetic.
Cane reeds will still be around in a year or so when you feel equipped to experiment with them.
 

Similar threads... or are they? Maybe not but they could be worth reading anyway 😀

Trending

Forum statistics

Topics
32,286
Messages
576,802
Members
8,092
Latest member
carlraven
Back
Top Bottom