support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

What project are you working/thinking about working on

I'm still learning how to use the DAW Waveform 11 efficiently, and playing around with a weird version of When the Saints, but I've started recording a song I wrote for my wife in around 1990, and thinking I'm better off giving cover versions a miss completely and recording my catalogue of original songs.
I'm using fake drums from the MT Power Drums plugin, but otherwise playing and singing everything myself.
It's a bit hard to cover 3 guitar parts with just me, my guitar has always just been the low hum that ties a thin, jagged, distorted guitar and a full, rich guitar sound together.
I'm nowhere near the level of the guitarist I've played with since the mid 80s, so I'm faking it with overdubs, adding the harmonics that should have been there the first time. It's working out well though.
I did some vocals, and some sax (call me the one note wonder!), but the room is giving me trouble even with an electric guitar plugged straight into the interface, so I've been working on building some acoustic treatment panels and implementing some other treatment ideas.
I won't record acoustic instruments or vocals seriously until that's completed.
Soon I'll be posting some "backing tracks" of my songs and asking for some saxophone submissions, the next two songs will be a fast 50s type rock'n'roll song in A (I've always introduced it as my unoriginal original), and a stomping type blues in E. They should be very easy to work with, I'm hoping that some of the fledgling saxophonists in the forum might be interested in contributing.
Stay tuned for more updates!

You’ve got a mellotron! Wow.. or is it a VST?

Over here my latest album of weird tales set to music is virtually finished & a couple of interesting projects are coming down the line. A very good friend of mine and his wife have just moved to Brittany. He’s a very experienced musician and studio guy and he’s making inroads into the local music scene over there. Following my experiments with the dulcimer (see Dulce Leche in the sound clips section), we’ve got a vague idea of Breton instrumentation, my horns, double bass and his electronica and production.

Elsewhere I’ve just discovered the husband of one of my old flatmates is a keen home studio guy with a great line in ‘post punk’ recordings. We’re beginning to work on a collection of tunes- a tribute to Henry Mancini in the style of PIL, Gang of Four and the like (classic old John Peel-ish stuff). Plenty of room for sleazy horns and jazz-punk freakouts.

I’ve also been chatting up the manager of my local art house cinema with a view to live sound tracking a silent movie or two somewhere down the line….

So- keeping busy!

Ha. My old studio had loads of room for all kinds of stuff but I now only use about 6 real instruments and loads of VSTI's.
So Redtron and Tapeotronic
Free and truly excellent ,both different too, so I often use both together.
Here's a review and download portal.

Many thanks- I'll add it to my VST stash. By the way- with your location and interest in busking I keep on wondering, do you know Rory McLeod?

Well that's summer almost done and dusted and I am already working on my next project though I have not defined anything at all . Most of my stuff since 2019 has been conceptual, it`s an easy way I think.

Heres a link to my newly released "Toys for Boys" mini album or EEP if you prefer . There's certainly a lot of saxophone on it. that`s all I am saying tee hee .

A combination of kids’ summer holidays, nice weather and mild burnout seems to have slowed my ongoing creative splurge down to a crawl.

I’ve got a couple more dulcimer/ harp, folky soprano sax & double bass pieces (my love of ECM and 1970s Island records material) coming along- in varying stages of finishedness but aside from that its been pretty unfocussed.

There’s still the ‘live to projection’ project at my local art house cinema but, to date, I’ve not had the energy to coax that one into reality. As a total film nerd I’m also torn as to which film to use, as well as issues with availability of a decent, high quality copy. Nosferatu and Dr Caligari seem to be the two ‘go to’ films for this kind of thing but its whether to go with the accepted canon of try and find something different….

Re the home recording side of things I really feel like I need something to focus down on- ‘goal orientated noodling’ or something. As the autumn draws in I’d been tempted to set myself a mission briefing of creating some sort of body of work- first thought- four three minute atmospheric pieces themed to fire, earth, air and water- maximum of four instruments on each but as much processing as I feel like. Once they’re finished- pick from any of my saxes, flute or guitar and add a top line. All a bit hippy and cosmic but I’m yet to think of a better set of mood concepts to work round….

A combination of kids’ summer holidays, nice weather and mild burnout seems to have slowed my ongoing creative splurge down to a crawl.

I’ve got a couple more dulcimer/ harp, folky soprano sax & double bass pieces (my love of ECM and 1970s Island records material) coming along- in varying stages of finishedness but aside from that its been pretty unfocussed.

There’s still the ‘live to projection’ project at my local art house cinema but, to date, I’ve not had the energy to coax that one into reality. As a total film nerd I’m also torn as to which film to use, as well as issues with availability of a decent, high quality copy. Nosferatu and Dr Caligari seem to be the two ‘go to’ films for this kind of thing but its whether to go with the accepted canon of try and find something different….

Re the home recording side of things I really feel like I need something to focus down on- ‘goal orientated noodling’ or something. As the autumn draws in I’d been tempted to set myself a mission briefing of creating some sort of body of work- first thought- four three minute atmospheric pieces themed to fire, earth, air and water- maximum of four instruments on each but as much processing as I feel like. Once they’re finished- pick from any of my saxes, flute or guitar and add a top line. All a bit hippy and cosmic but I’m yet to think of a better set of mood concepts to work round….
Make the music you want to hear and all will be well.
Having a concept is "for me anyway" a great way to go .You have a kind of storyboard.
I'm tempted to go full out prog with perhaps 2 really long pieces . virtual A and B side but it's a very large commitment and could lead to mental anguish . Easy enough to sketch chordal ideas but then putting them together maybe painful.
We will just have to see where the thing wants to take me next.

Barry Harris and his minor 6th diminished concept.

Melodic minor scale with added #5.
C D Eb F G G# A B C D Eb …
good to have two octave scale under your fingers

includes a C-6: C Eb G A
and a diminished 7th: D F G# B

Works well over a minor 2-5-1.
|C-6 |D-7b5 G7b9|

over a loop of these changes.
improvise around this pattern

C Eb G A
B D F G#/Ab

Barry Harris and his minor 6th diminished concept.

Melodic minor scale with added #5.
C D Eb F G G# A B C D Eb …
good to have two octave scale under your fingers

includes a C-6: C Eb G A
and a diminished 7th: D F G# B

Works well over a minor 2-5-1.
|C-6 |D-7b5 G7b9|

over a loop of these changes.
improvise around this pattern

C Eb G A
B D F G#/Ab

What do you think you're "struggling" with?- Sounds fine to me.
I struggle with my breathing right now, so could not do it all in one go. maybe sounds a bit disjointed? Also perhaps I can get a bit more character into it. Not so easy with the staccato,

However interstingly due to recording bits at different times, there are two different tenors and three different reeds. So that might explain what I perceive as a bit of inconsistency. Maybe not.

Indeed- though, as I get older, that is becoming so bizarrely rarified I'm not sure what manner of rabbit hole I may end up in. Anything between Erik Satie and the Dead Kennedys could be on the cards!

HG Fortune made some great " Scaping " machines most of them free to install but more importantly use how they Were not meant to be used. I would recommend them to anyone looking for something or somewhere to travel aurally even if you only have an hour or so to kill

HG Fortune made some great " Scaping " machines most of them free to install but more importantly use how they Were not meant to be used. I would recommend them to anyone looking for something or somewhere to travel aurally even if you only have an hour or so to kill
Just found the download page for this guy's VSTs. Much Hawkwindy goodness there.... thanks