All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

Miscellaneous What project are you working/thinking about working on

Clivey

Locality
Edinburgh/Hot Rock off African Coast
Thought that a post like this may get us to reveal our recording goals for the near future.
Just thinking and discussing them can be the kickstart required.
I originally intended to spend a few weeks sharpening my live set but have instead succumbed to the easier and lazier route of a new triptych /EP that I will unimaginatively be calling "3". With a release date third of March and comprising 3 new numbers all in 3/4.
One traditional,One "out there" One either latin or maybe even jazz.
Well that's me set my agenda. No pressure. Tee hee.

Clivey

Locality
aah.
200.gif

LOL.

Clivey

Locality
The key word being working...
Yeah. "Play" is the word Most associated with music.
I presume this stems from medieval monastic roots Perhaps from prehistory.
Work= Maslow heirarchy of needs blah.

A

Acc closed 6441

I consider this work to be play, and playing is a big part of it. However, the work leaves little time to publicly reveal the secrets of my future success. >:) >:)

mizmar

Locality
Trondheim, Norway
Like the old joke (which I repurpose from its original, offensive form)

An aristocrat was asked whether sex was work or play. After some pause for thought he replied:
By my troth sex be play for, should it be work, we'd get the servants to do it.

Wasn't motzart treated, basically as a servant?

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
Locality
brighton by the sea
Ok- I’ll throw my 10ps worth in. Current projects-

Plenty of practice on low whistle and my fender jazzmaster

Continue to noodle along with Stanley Turrentine etc

I’m also getting somewhat obsessed with producing ‘ambient’ semi-abstract music on my laptop by using found sounds (or gone out and looked for sounds). I’ve been learning a huge amount about production and manipulating sound over the last few months and am deep in a BBC radiophonic workshop via Brian Eno rabbit hole

I’m also seriously considering making a fake silent era, expressionist short film just as a vehicle to then put an atmospheric soundtrack over the top of. Got to give my musical saw a chance to be centre stage!

Clivey

Locality
Ok- I’ll throw my 10ps worth in. Current projects-

Plenty of practice on low whistle and my fender jazzmaster

Continue to noodle along with Stanley Turrentine etc

I’m also getting somewhat obsessed with producing ‘ambient’ semi-abstract music on my laptop by using found sounds (or gone out and looked for sounds). I’ve been learning a huge amount about production and manipulating sound over the last few months and am deep in a BBC radiophonic workshop via Brian Eno rabbit hole

I’m also seriously considering making a fake silent era, expressionist short film just as a vehicle to then put an atmospheric soundtrack over the top of. Got to give my musical saw a chance to be centre stage!
Great.This is exactly the kind of stuff I was hoping to read. But any project is a piece of work/ art in my book so even if it's a humble first attempt and you want to tell the forum here's your chance

h4yn0nnym0u5e

Locality
Cambridgeshire
Our amateur sax ensemble managed about 5 meetings last term before we had to lock down again, so I've been trying to put together an online collaboration for a couple of tunes. I've had a reasonable take-up (about 60%, but not everyone's on FB), and I'm trying to keep it simple, so accepting audio via DropBox which has been recorded on phones. It's an interesting process, the technology of uploading to DropBox is novel for some, and few of us have any experience recording to a click or backing track. The results can be ... variable! I'm tidying up the worst of the rough bits in Reaper, which is a learning curve for me.

I'll pull at least one together before Christmas, and post a link on the Cafe when it's done.

Ivan

Undecided
Café Supporter
Locality
Peeblesshire
Testing new mouthpieces (lockdown GAS), practicing scales, arpeggios and all that

In between times uploading tracks to Wikiloops

Just had an online cover-band video uploaded. My contribution was recorded in the summer, but I'm told it took a while to compile the rest of the band. It was interesting to mix the horn section... I quickly learned that timing and intonation have to be precise for it to sound any good

Keeping in touch via WhatsApp with real time band members, some of whom are promoting a new album

Nothing specific in the pipeline for the near future, though playing live is a much discussed (distant) goal

Clivey

Locality
Very cool Ivan.
It would appear that one of the very few positives to come out of this unfunny farce is that many former mercenary weekend warriors are getting the opportunity to return back to the creative realm . In Scotland it's been crazy the amount of new material coming out. Here's a typical week in jockrock.

Perhaps some of these numbers will become cover songs of choice in the future.
It's an interesting topic in itself the lack of a source of suitable new material for your average cover band.
Radio 1 used to be a useful indicator but it's mainly mobo these days. Some great stuff coming through but not too good at your nieces wedding function lol.

Clivey

Locality
Thought that a post like this may get us to reveal our recording goals for the near future.
Just thinking and discussing them can be the kickstart required.
I originally intended to spend a few weeks sharpening my live set but have instead succumbed to the easier and lazier route of a new triptych /EP that I will unimaginatively be calling "3". With a release date third of March and comprising 3 new numbers all in 3/4.
One traditional,One "out there" One either latin or maybe even jazz.
Well that's me set my agenda. No pressure. Tee hee.

Well. I have managed to get my "3" thing kinda done. It`s now a CP ie it`s a continous play single or you can listen to the segz separately. I will be adding more bumf to the actual release. perhaps more images or even a video and defo remixes replacements etc.
Spring is however about to arrive and I start to think about prepping for busking, also have new toys arriving so I don`t know." I am very addicted to this songbashing."
I have started to circulate the release to maximize listens so heres whats up at the moment. I will post the press coverage if any on my main song thread.

studio time.jpg

Jules

Locality
brighton by the sea
Right, here we go- this weekend I will mostly be….. composing & recording a soundtrack to a 1928 silent version of the Fall of the House of Usher on Soprano and tenor sax, musical saw, jews harp, repurposed spring reverb unit, electric kalimba and probably a bits and bobs from my kitchen. If anyone needs me- I’ll be somewhere off down the road less travelled, turn left at the art house and right by the junkyard.
Life was simpler when I was an R&B honker!

Last edited:

Clivey

Locality
That's a lot of work for a weekend . lol.
Good luck with your project.

Jules

Locality
brighton by the sea
That's a lot of work for a weekend . lol.
Good luck with your project.
Why thank you. A lot work but it is only 13 minutes long so not totally intimidating. I've also got a large array of bits ambient, junkyard orchestra stuff so I think a fair bit will be collaging and adjusting preexisting chunks

A

Acc closed 6441

Counting back two months (from the initial post) I see that I have posted about 40 recordings including the SOTM/BOTM Jan/Feb in multiple versions and probably at least 25 originals. According to Sturgeon's Law, about 2 might not be total rubbish!

Clivey

Locality
Counting back two months (from the initial post) I see that I have posted about 40 recordings including the SOTM/BOTM Jan/Feb in multiple versions and probably at least 25 originals. According to Sturgeon's Law, about 2 might not be total rubbish!
The "numbers game" dictates that you are probably heading for a posthumous no 1 hit.LOL
That's quite remarkable output in such short time.
My main influence re output would be Wm McGonagall.

Jules

Locality
brighton by the sea
Why thank you. A lot work but it is only 13 minutes long so not totally intimidating. I've also got a large array of bits ambient, junkyard orchestra stuff so I think a fair bit will be collaging and adjusting preexisting chunks
Note to self - never say "I'm going to do this- on this day" when you've got a house full of small kids!

Dave E

Locality
Leicester
Trying to achieve a more stable vibrato; learning Audacity and recording techniques so I can edit and post mixed tracks (now started to do this). Next project - learning how to video edit so I can start putting some stuff onto Youtube which might sound vaguely reasonable. Thinking of getting Wondershare Filmora for this - anybody else have experience of this software?

Members online

Popular Discussions

London
Paris
New York
Los Angeles
Sydney
Moscow
New Delhi
Top Bottom