support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

What are you listening to (plus reviews)

here's one ... suggestions please for Chrustmas albums for the shop playlist? we've got A Soul christmas (Stax... lots of King Curtis etc), a good zydeco one, Sharon Jones (ain't no chimneys in the projects!),Bela Fleck & Jeff Coffin (some great sax on that one), and the heroically daft Oy to the world- a klezmer christmas album....

Klezmer! Cool. Love Klezmer!

Maybe need a little edge after that.

On the first day of christmas my homeboy gave to me...

here's one ... suggestions please for Chrustmas albums for the shop playlist? we've got A Soul christmas (Stax... lots of King Curtis etc), a good zydeco one, Sharon Jones (ain't no chimneys in the projects!),Bela Fleck & Jeff Coffin (some great sax on that one), and the heroically daft Oy to the world- a klezmer christmas album....

Christmas Cards - Johnny Hodges

Mmmmm that video is rather ugly. It’s supposed to be Miles Davis.

Here’s a version without dubious animation.

Starts at 1.14

I really like this whole album:

And then there's the Roland Kirk version:

Rhys

May not be new to some - but
Spike's discovery of the week.
Karl Denson's Tiny Universe - New Ammo

@Wade Cornell's The Other Sax #3 thread (and especially @Nick Wyver 's recording) reminded me of Norwegian (sop/tenor) sax player Jan Garbarek's 'ethereal/haunting' sax style, and sound as I remembered it from the 1970's- 1990's. So I dug out a couple of old Garbarek CD's and enjoyed gettting reacquainted while deciding which of my far too many books to keep and which to get rid of.

I always think of Garbarek as primarily a sop. player. But I like his tenor sax on this clip:

I love Garbarek, I think it was Tommapfumo who first introduced to me to him, I saw him live in Bath Abby with the Hilliard Ensemble it was beautiful and so moving listening in that setting...

Jx

@Wade Cornell's The Other Sax #3 thread (and especially @Nick Wyver 's recording) reminded me of Norwegian (sop/tenor) sax player Jan Garbarek's 'ethereal/haunting' sax style, and sound as I remembered it from the 1970's- 1990's. So I dug out a couple of old Garbarek CD's and enjoyed gettting reacquainted while deciding which of my far too many books to keep and which to get rid of.

I always think of Garbarek as primarily a sop. player. But I like his tenor sax on this clip:

Yes! one of my favorite groups. Have seen them live a number of times. Very sad about Eberhard Weber's current condition. This must have been recorded not long before his stroke. The lyricism and strong "Classical" influences work so well. Here's a great example of where jazz went beyond Mainstream and has communicated so well with audiences. No empty seats, there or in the Albert Hall when they played there.

I can't imagine a more beautiful concert location, Jeanette!
I love Garbarek, I think it was Tommapfumo who first introduced to me to him, I saw him live in Bath Abby with the Hilliard Ensemble it was beautiful and so moving listening in that setting...

Jx

I'm a big fan oh is too, although I may be a bit biased as he is a customer!

Well I have to know which pieces?

Jx

He bought two PPT tenor 7* mouthpieces. The first was a standrd one, then he decided he would prefer in a darker color, so we did one in dark blue as a special order.

I was quite surprised with the first one, I often just copy and paste the address from the order onto the labels, it wasn't until I was at the post office I realised I was sending a mouthpiece to Jan Garbarek. The address being Norway I assumed then it was probebaly THE Jan Garbarek.