support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

The CaféSaxophone saxophone

Also correct Pete, but there is a big difference between Taiwan and China made too

Apologies if I've missed it in this thread, but is this being manufactured in the UK? Or designed by you and built in Aisa?
I'm sure the expertise exists to make all the parts in the UK, but how could a UK horn compete price-wise with the far east?
Less transport costs and a lower carbon footprint perhaps? And as there's less push for profit in this model it may be feasible?

I wonder when the last wholly UK made sax manufacturer closed their doors? It would be a great selling point if it could be made here.
For carbon fibre parts and other hi-tech bits I'm guessing the UK is the go to place, as with F1.

Hey Pete, I fear you’re trying to re-invent the wheel.
SYOS, have re-invented the wheel because their strength is a scientific background in acoustic research which they have engineered in to mouthpiece design. 3d printing is the enabler of that scientific knowledge being engineered at a price most can afford.
What you bring is years of experience as a player and an outstanding talent at making things happen. I feel it would be sensible to play within your strengths by building a pro saxophone with excellent intonation, a consistent sound scape, and make it fly ergonomics, and leave the leading edge materials research to the big pockets of the Yamaha’s etc.

Hey Pete, I fear you’re trying to re-invent the wheel.
As a competitor, I must support Pete's idea.
The small things that have been re-invented in the horns play make a difference, but mostly they are unique.
There are at least two brands out there that are virtually perfect but that I wouldn't play, so I welcome the Peterphone: I am sure it will have something new to inspire my playing

The thing becomes interesting when a small scale solution cannot be implemented on industrial production, making it special (SML was somehow like this)

. I feel it would be sensible to play within your strengths by building a pro saxophone with excellent intonation, a consistent sound scape, and make it fly ergonomics,
Exactly my intention.

I would not be considering any kind of of materials experimentation if it wasn’t going to be advantageous.

If it isn’t it won’t be on the instrument. In fact the initial café saxophones will be quite traditional

leave the leading edge materials research to the big pockets of the Yamaha’s etc.
Don't worry, I'm not in this on my own. (And definitely NOT sitting in my utility room with some carbon fibre off of Amazon and a tube of superglue!

... and leave the leading edge materials research to the big pockets of the Yamaha’s etc.

Which would be fine...if they were doing any.

Want to know what the biggest 'innovation' in keywork design has been for the last few decades? Those poxy sprung point screws on Selmer saxes,

Ceramic inserts? Nah. Titanium barrel ends? Nah Micro-bearings? Nah...just shove a bit of brass tube on a spring down the ol' barrel.
You can always tell when real innovation is at a standstill on a horn...it's when cosmetic changes are touted as bringing tonal improvements.
I daresay that most of the cutting edge innovation has been in production techniques...i.e. making the same thing, but cheaper.

Any innovation has to have a reason and a result IMO, otherwise it is is just reinvention of a wheel. I am not yet convinced the action will feel any better, however what we are looking at is reducing considerable the wight of the instrument. Some people may scoff at the usefulness of that, others may see advantages. It is also useful if it cuts down on repair bills. Anyone speculating about that should be aware that all has not yet been revealed.

Want to know what the biggest 'innovation' in keywork design has been for the last few decades? Those poxy sprung point screws on Selmer saxes,
I guess the last one still in use is the Selmer LH pinky spatula (SBA?)
Fork D# (Conn, but I suspect could have been a Saporetti&Cappelli invention) was discontinued long ago
Leblanc Rationale never took off

The only innovations that I see around are by Eppelsheim, but limited to those giant horns

what we are looking at is reducing considerable the wight of the instrument. Some people may scoff at the usefulness of that, others may see advantages
If you can significantly reduce the weight of a baritone, it will make me very happy. I'm not getting any younger.

The only innovations that I see around are by Eppelsheim, but limited to those giant horns

And even they're not all innovations. I corresponded with Benedikt, and mentioned the amazing flexible shafts that are used on his horns...and he replied "But they're not new...they've been using them on French horns for years!"

reducing considerable the wight of the instrument. Some people may scoff at the usefulness of that, others may see advantages. It is also useful if it cuts down on repair bills.

I would find both of these extremely helpful.

If this is an all UK affair, of course we can beat the Chinese, Japanese, and Taiwanese at innovation.

Back
Top Bottom