support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

The CaféSaxophone saxophone

If you are looking for people with experience in combining carbon-fibre with other materials. You could look at manufacturing of road racing bikes. Their frames are mostly carbon-fibre, and just about every other part is in aluminium or other alloys.

Not only the frames:

48D2668D-9235-448F-AFF9-6C00F2AB71FD.jpeg

I think all will be revealed when you see the actual thing, and i think you will be one of the first to have a proper butchers.

My biggest concern with 'pegged' key arms is that the stresses involved are focussed around a very small area, and this can lead to the hole for the pin becoming enlarged.
I see it on flutes from time-to-time - which traditionally use small pins to secure parts of the keywork to a single rod. The forces involved are quite low on a flute - but the fact that it still occurs leads me to wonder what will happen when you scale it up.

But...there is a precedent on a sax - the Boosey & Co soprano had pins fitted to the low B/B key. There wasn't much (if any) wear present on the example I serviced, but the stresses involved wouldn't have been that great. However, once you start dealing with keys that are more strongly sprung it may well become an issue over a relatively short space of time.
This is why I'd favour a hex-shaped key barrel, so that the profile of the barrel takes most of the strain and leaves the pin to serve merely as a locking device.

Back
Top Bottom