support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Tenor Viol's musings

i'm going to try retuning my bass down to match my bari, bass is a 5 string so i may get it there. think it's a full tone down. or is it up?

Last edited:
i'm going to try retuning my bass down to match my bari, bass is a 5 string so i may get it there. think it's a full tone down. or is it up?
The Bari's low A is a concert C, so you'd be tuning the B string up a semi-tone. You don't need drop tuning. Unless you fancy scordatura tuning, I'd leave it at B

Um. Doesn't a low-A bari only go down to C2, like a cello? So a 5-string bass actually gets an octave and a semitone lower, to B0?

Last edited:
Um. Doesn't a low-A bari only go down to C2, like a cello? So a 5-string bass actually gets an octave and a semitone lower, to B0?
Yes it does, bass music is written an octave higher than it sounds, but I'm pretty sure @Vetinari is aware that. I can't imagine he was intending to tune up an octave - which is probably not possible without finding some very different strings.

That'd make it do its own repeats! Fair comment @tenorviol, just wanted to be sure we were all on the same page. It was ages before I realised a bass is technically a transposing instrument...
Yep, so's the piccolo - it sounds an octave higher than written

It's a tiny bass but has scale length same as a Fender Jazz.

20170224_120354.jpg

The CV19 epidemic is cruel in so many ways. Many people have suffered the loss of loved ones in traumatic circumstances. Many others, from medical professionals, to care workers, those that work in the food delivery chain etc are also under a great deal of pressure and many are the heroes of the current age.

The cruelty extends much wider. For example those who are elderly, infirm, housebound, are unable to have the visitors they need that keeps them going and still feeling that they are a part of society.

People like me are also struggling. I'm single, I live alone, and I don't have a partner. I've lived on my own since I left home in 1985. The way to deal with and manage that is to fill time with various activities and interests. That is why I am in various societies, organisations, orchestras. It's why I have a range of hobbies and interests, which include hill walking, photography, astronomy (don't do much these days), skiing...

Currently, as has been the case since I got back from NZ on March 25th, everything is on hold. So no music groups, no music lessons(that's no singing lessons, no cello lessons, no sax lessons). I live less than a mile form the Welsh border and the hills and mountains of Snowdonia are not too far away, but I cannot go there.

This year is a career break, which started in 1st March with a year of travelling planned. This week I was supposed to be in the middle of a trip to Orkney and today I would have been getting the ferry back from Orkney to the north coast of Scotland and starting a slow drift back south. That got cancelled on my return. Next month a trip to Cornwall was planned, that got cancelled this week. Two social weekends with the rugby guys have been cancelled. I am expecting my music summer school to be cancelled any moment now as I cannot see that proceeding. I booked a season of concerts at the Phil. in Liverpool - all cancelled.

I am sure many can tell similar tales and worse ( I have friends who are A&E nurses, doctors, and I know people who have had CV19 so they've had a brutal time).

Unfortunately, I think social distancing will be in force for quite a while yet and I am doubtful that orchestras, bands, or choirs will resume until next year. I don't see much changing for a long time.

I had my first online lesson this week, was really pleased.

I can let you have the details, he might teach bass guitar too :)

Jx

I had my first online lesson this week, was really pleased.

I can let you have the details, he might teach bass guitar too :)

Jx
I've had one online sax lesson, for various reasons there's been a gap. I should be having on online bass lesson on Wednesday.

One of the few full-time viol consorts in the UK is Chelys. I've been on workshops and summer schools in the past tutored by a couple of their members. They've created a 'music minus one' type video to play some Holborne - from the same set as the one we play in the Café Octet (@Jeanette @abisop @trimmy @chadders @nickh @Vetinari @Royston). This one has a 6 / 4 time signature, and yes I have the music and could set about setting it for saxes....

View: https://youtu.be/67vcczJyzhs

ok, found an online edition of the score for added entertainment. I noticed that Chelys put a click track and indicated time signature of 6 / 4 which is a compound time signature of 2 dotted minims to a bar. This edition is in 3 / 2 which is three minims to a bar. But, look at bar 7 after the first repeat and the bass, and in fact all parts are clearly in two in a bar.

UPDATE: I've just checked the edition that I have - it shows BOTH time signatures at the start which means in effect some section are 'in 3' and some are 'in 2'. Counting in minims or dotted minims (half notes) will be good for you :)

Attachments

• Holborne-muy_linda_score.pdf
    39.3 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
Just written bassus line out in treble clef and added 3 #. What happens all the B flats and accidentals?

Just written bassus line out in treble clef and added 3 #. What happens all the B flats and accidentals?
You're now in Bminor rather than Dminor. The notes are as per the key signature so the Bflats will be B naturals. With accidentals, you have to do what they say on the tin. So, if for example in the original there was an F#, because you've already got an F# you have to add a semi-tone to it and make it Fx i.e. F double sharp. Equally, more likely that there was a B natural marked as an accidental, that will need to become a B#...

Just found that Muy linda has low A and low G in a couple of parts.

Specially for @jbtsax...

I'm from Liverpool originally and I remember the Metropolitan Cathedral being built back in the 60s. It has become an iconic building. The acoustics are challenging with an 11 second reverb. I have sung in there a few times when visiting with choirs I have been in. I have also been to concerts in there. The one I regret missing was the Jan Garbarek tour performing Officium.

The pic is a phone pic I took a couple of winters ago - I had been to a concert at the Philharmonic Hall and my car was parked up by the cathedral, so this was as I was walking back to the car.

EDIT: I've updated the Google link - pic is too large to upload directly

Last edited:
The one I regret missing was the Jan Garbarek tour performing Officium.
We drove to Salisbury Cathedral to hear that - it was magical.

The pic is a phone pic I took a couple of winters ago - I had been to a concert at the Philharmonic Hall and my car was parked up by the cathedral, so this was as I was walking back to the car.

Meet Google Drive – One place for all your files

I can't access the picture - it says I don't have permission.

Back
Top Bottom