• New!

    Try our new Social Feeds, look out for the navigation icon: . You can now set default social feed view in your account preferences.

Miscellaneous Tell me about Boxing Day

Originally it was the day after Christmas when the Lord/Lady or boss figure would give a Christmas Box or hamper to his /her staff. Now-a-days it's just an excuse to eat mashed potato and cold meats accompanied by pate, pickles, cheeses, crisps, salad veg and loads more booze. This meal can last most of the day (in my house anyway) It's a far more relaxed day than Christmas Day, and we get to repair all the toys that fell apart the day before!
 
Mostly involves people donning ridiculous red jackets, jumping onto a horse and then tearing round the countryside trying to kill a small brown furry creature.....which, as it is far more intelligent than its pursuers, usually escapes. Quaint.
 
Mostly involves people donning ridiculous red jackets, jumping onto a horse and then tearing round the countryside trying to kill a small brown furry creature.....which, as it is far more intelligent than its pursuers, usually escapes. Quaint.

Ahh, the Butlins Staff winter hamster hunt , though I believe they do it on Unicycles thesedays as the RSPCA thought it was unfair to disturb the shetland ponies after a night on the oats.
 
I read this term in someone's post and know very little about how those across the pond celebrate Christmas.
Boxing day is not about Christmas, but about the Big Chrismas Sale.
In the good old days, unsold items were put on sale after Christmas at a reduced price. In this gloomy financial climate, shops had to anticipate the sale. Few years ago it started on the 26th, now it starts on the 26th December of the previous year. In two days, Christmas sale 2015 will start.

In a glorious past in which I had a daily job in Oxford street (in three different shops, I am almost setting a record) I had a first hand experience of boxing days.

1- Some transport union traditionally strike on this very day, making life for shoppers and shop workers miserable.
2- A huge amount of human beings start roaming in shops buying expensive stuff that only one week before was simply overpriced.
3- Some companies release a profit warning and go into administration, putting their staff in a proper Dickensian Christmas mood.
4- Some other companies ban the use of the "Christmas" word to be politically correct.

5- In some shops, an item incorrectly priced, seems to be a real bargain, and two o more ladies start fighting for it.
... hence the term "boxing day"


P.S. I am currently in a Mediterranean town where sales start in January, so everyone is just busy putting on weight.
 
Mostly involves people donning ridiculous red jackets, jumping onto a horse and then tearing round the countryside trying to kill a small brown furry creature.....which, as it is far more intelligent than its pursuers, usually escapes. Quaint.
Which is illegal, although that doesn't stop the ***** who think they are above the law.
 
In a glorious past in which I had a daily job in Oxford street (in three different shops, I am almost setting a record) I had a first hand experience of boxing days.
Not far enough past. I'm old enough (and British enough) to remember when everything was closed on Boxing Day here, too. There'd be the odd sporting event and fox hunting for my betters (?) but otherwise it was about telly, cold meat and chocolate. The January sales actually started in January.
 
and I suppose it is nice and warm and dry and you have a lovely glass of red and are not thinking of us at all.

Have a lovely time 🙂

Jx

Thanks, but I am constantly thinking of you all, saxophones and British isles, since weather here is foggy, chilly, gloomy.
Food is better, though.

Saxophone updates to follow (yesterday we had bubbles and pandoro in the Sequoia workshop, after play-testing some a dozen horns).
 
Thanks, but I am constantly thinking of you all, saxophones and British isles, since weather here is foggy, chilly, gloomy.
Food is better, though.

Saxophone updates to follow (yesterday we had bubbles and pandoro in the Sequoia workshop, after play-testing some a dozen horns).


Italian food and play testing instruments.!!! You really do lead a charmed life
 
I can't imagine that we have helped jbtsax at all!
I think the "box" part relates to the giving of a "Christmas box" to the people who worked for you (servants, the coal man, milkman, window cleaner etc) Sometimes that is money, sometimes a small, useful gift.
When I used to deliver newspapers as a teenager, I was paid £7 a week, and would often receive £100- £150 in my Christmas boxes from my customers!
On Boxing Day, we head to my children's paternal granfather's house to have lunch and spend the afternoon with their aunts, uncles, cousins etc.
Since he became a priest, we see less of him than we used to.
 
I think Muttley's snigger may have been based on the reduced numbers who actually bother to go to church thesedays hence never seeing the Priest (Therefore never seeing Paternal Grandad).
 

Trending

Latest Song of the Month

Forum statistics

Topics
32,265
Messages
576,237
Members
8,083
Latest member
Richard Walker
Back
Top Bottom