support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Tone Tell me about Earl Bostic, how did he get that constant growl?

EDIT: Pete actually answered by sending me here.
I admit I'd heard of Bostic but was not at all familiar with his work. There's plenty of evidence of his skill and tone on YouTube. I got interested and explored these.

Wide vibrato, no growl.

Wide vibrato AND growl.

My question is, is he constantly humming to get that sound on the alto?

I found a bunch of links on the Earl Bostic web site, and some interesting comments by a lot of famous artists. Lou Donaldson was quoted:
"I’m telling you, Earl Bostic was the greatest saxophone player I ever knew. I didn’t like him ‘cause sometimes he’d play stuff that I’d consider corny, [with] that wide vibrato and the sound of growling in the mouthpiece. But the man could play three octaves. I mean play ‘em, I don’t mean just hit the notes. He was bad. He was a technician you wouldn’t believe."

In this version of Misty, you can hear why people compared his facility to Bird, some even thought he was a better saxophonist.

Last edited by a moderator:

I'd probably be one of those. I'd certainly rather listen to him than CP.
Why? I'm just curious, not arguing about taste. I admire both, but don't listen to the bop stuff. Bostic could obviously play it amazingly well, but I like his "commercial" hits better, I find them more entertaining. That may even be your answer ;-)

Nick Wyver

noisy
Café Supporter
Locality
Minster On Sea
Why? I'm just curious, not arguing about taste. I admire both, but don't listen to the bop stuff. Bostic could obviously play it amazingly well, but I like his "commercial" hits better, I find them more entertaining. That may even be your answer ;-)
Yes, that's probably it.

Pete Thomas

Commercial Supporter
Locality
St. Mary's
I'd also prefer to listen to Earl Bostic than Charlie Parker. I'd probably also prefer to listen to Ornette Colman.

jbtsax

Café Supporter
Locality
Beautiful Springville, Utah USA
Bostics altissimo playing was amazing. I also admire his technical skill on the instrument although I feel that in some of his playing "showmanship" takes over and leaves "musicianship" in second place. The growl on alto sound reminds me a bit of Ace Cannon who I listened to growing up. Ace, who achieved a level of popularity during that period by playing "country western" saxophone (not that there is anything wrong with that :)) is certainly not in the same league as Earl Bostic---even Boots Randolph.

Keep Blowing

Locality
Bottesford England
I admit I'd heard of Bostic but was not at all familiar with his work. There's plenty of evidence of his skill and tone on YouTube. I got interested and explored these.

Wide vibrato, no growl.

Wide vibrato AND growl.

My question is, is he constantly humming to get that sound on the alto?

I found a bunch of links on the Earl Bostic web site, and some interesting comments by a lot of famous artists. Lou Donaldson was quoted:

In this version of Misty, you can hear why people compared his facility to Bird, some even thought he was a better saxophonist.

It Charlie Parker for me, in my opinion the most important Saxophonist in the history of Jazz,. He hits all the right spots for me,. I feel things when I listen to him that I don't feel with many musicians.

Thanks for all the opinions. If you read the web site, Donaldson says Bostic claimed he didn't ever record his best stuff because it would be copied. He may or may not have been better than Bird, but what does any of that mean, anyway.

Did anyone answer my question? I know how to do crazy wide vibrato, but I asked

How is he getting that tone, is he constantly humming or singing into the mouthpiece?

Bostics altissimo playing was amazing. I also admire his technical skill on the instrument although I feel that in some of his playing "showmanship" takes over and leaves "musicianship" in second place.
I think Bostic was indeed shooting for accessibility and entertainment. Maybe he liked the attention or the money but it's admirable regardless. First off, he has a recognizable style, and that is a good thing. to have.

Top Bottom