Tutorials

Squeaky mouthpiece

saxyjt

I have saxophone withdrawal symptoms
Subscriber
Locality
France
upload_2015-10-31_21-15-20.png

He must have a great embouchure, he's always doing the straw exercise... ;)

PS: It used to be a cigarette but that's no longer PC. Soon he'll have to drop the hat! :(

jeremyjuicewah

Locality
Costa Blanca Spain
Soon he'll have to drop the hat!
No way Never!! Not the hat. I have just bought a pork pie hat from Christys. Most people think I am trying to be funny but I have always been hat wearer, never before as posh as this one though. Great advantage of this one is that I can get a plastic bowl, paint it up like a comic book xmas pudding and pop it on top. With my new Amazon father xmas tee shirt I will either raise a smile or enrage the plebs at our 19th December gig.

Yes, I understand your reaction, but I simply do not care any more. It is a fab thing about getting older.

The straw. Well, we chucked the straws out some time ago as they were getting hairy, so I used a pencil. The first 15 minutes were nothing, the next 10 minutes brought feelings of strain in my lips and cheeks. I put it down then did it for 5 or 10 minutes every half an hour over the course of last night. I will do it again tonight as its an exercise you can do without any inconvenience to yourself or anyone else and you can indeed feel things working up a bit in your face. I dont know how long you are supposed to do it but if its the same as any other muscle exercise I reckon a bit beyond discomfort is enough in one go.

It's a very old photo.
Ok, I get it. Doh!

Cheers
Mike

saxyjt

Subscriber
Locality
France
What's wrong with hats
Nothing, yet! Unless you wear it while driving in a sunnyless country, except in a convertible with the top down... :eek:

No, in fact it was just the PC trend that lead me to predict that anything that makes you 'remarkable' might become prohibited as it could be perceived as offensive in one way or another. :p

I love hats, but I'm not sure they love me. :(

saxyjt

Subscriber
Locality
France
Wow, that's an old thread. Brings back memories... Found it as I was searching for Claude Lakey tenor.

I have had this 7*3 mouthpiece for a long time but never really managed to enjoy it. I'm not sure why I tried it again today, perhaps because I never tried it with synthetic reeds before and I have a few now, but it still wasn't a success.

I'm curious to understand what it is with this mouthpiece that disagree with me. It's the only one I have that is so insubordinate!

I guess it's time to reduce my inventory and get rid of the pieces I never use. :confused2:

Ballymenaboy

Subscriber
Locality
Ballymena.Co.Antrim
There's a good chance the mouthpiece might need refacing,it might be the rails or the table,but if you have tried various reeds then its probably the mpc.
One other thing is,whats the tip opening?,if its close then this could have a factor in the squeaks due to you it closing off the piece on the high notes,but the mouthpiece will be old and my guess would be refacing.
I had this issue with an Otto Link tenor mouthpiece however wise advice on this site advocated the method of storing reeds in waterproof in listerene and this helped a lot as reeds were well wet when playing however I now use Legere synthetic reeds..no squeaks

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom
test6