SYOS

Squeaky mouthpiece

saxyjt

I have saxophone withdrawal symptoms
Subscriber
Locality
France
When in difficulty, we activate the reptilian area in our brain! :eek:

Since we are only using words, it can be difficult to evaluate the language, especially for a non English speaker who usually speak using his hands as much as everything else... :oops:

But I accept the criticism and I'll turn my reed seven times in my mouthpiece before blowing in response the next time I feel offended... OK, that's probably not the right word, but you get the idea.

I may not keep up with the rythm doing so, but if I get better at listening... ;)

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Locality
Just north of Munich
I can assure you there are some on this form who seem to thrive on putting down
An interesting perspective. I like this forum precisely because there is so little of that stuff going on. And why I generally avoid SOTW.
I agree with Nick. We certainly have disagreements. Which is good. I can understand why Alphorn's post didn't go down well, but this is more of a language/culture thing than a put down. So I'm with Gladsaxisme there.

As mods we do our best to stop the put downs. And most of the putters-down don't post any more. Something that pleases me greatly.

Don't mix humour with putting people down. There's been many humorous posts that could be taken wrongly. Also some strongly worded disagreements.

Veggie Dave

Sax Worker
Locality
Citizen of Nowhere
L’anglais est une langue bizarre. On peut apprendre tous les règles de grammaire, parler et/ou écrire presque couramment, pourtant ça reste presque impossible à comprendre l’humour et sarcasme anglais ou les nuances de la langue si on n’est pas anglais(e). Même pour les gens qui vivre en L’Angleterre, qui inclut souvent les anglais eux-mêmes.;)

And if the rest of you don't know what I've said ... we're talking about you, not to you. :D

Last edited:

ProfJames

Elementary member
Locality
Berkshire, UK
يمكننا أن نفهم جميعا، نحن لسنا اغبياء. أنها مجرد أننا كثيرا ما لا تحصل على اللغات المختلفة المستخدمة في المنتدى

Veggie Dave

Sax Worker
Locality
Citizen of Nowhere
يمكننا أن نفهم جميعا، نحن لسنا اغبياء. أنها مجرد أننا كثيرا ما لا تحصل على اللغات المختلفة المستخدمة في المنتدى
Speak for yourself, some of us are, but the rest is bob on. ;)

saxyjt

Subscriber
Locality
France
@Veggie Dave I do my best but I guess I don't have a perfect hear for the language and I can make fausses notes... I have spent quite some time in the UK and the USA over the last 20 years, but that doesn't make me a native, never will.

Your french is excellent BTW. :thumb:

saxyjt

Subscriber
Locality
France
حسنا، انها ليست منتدى اللغة، أليس كذلك؟

saxyjt

Subscriber
Locality
France
The bari PPT is easy to play. Just relax with it and don't overblow.
Back to business. Thanks Kev, for the encouragement. :thumb: I will persevere. Unless someone convince me that I'm a lost cause... >:)

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Locality
Cheshire UK
Back to business. Thanks Kev, for the encouragement. :thumb: I will persevere. Unless someone convince me that I'm a lost cause... >:)
Never a lost cause just keep going, enjoy the journey.

What people say about changing gear distracting you and not making you a better player is all true but I have succumbed to it and for me it is all part of the fun and learning. It all adds to the experience and if you are not in a hurry but enjoying it do it your way :)

Jx

jeremyjuicewah

Locality
Costa Blanca Spain
A mouthpiece with a wider tip opening or narrower side rails requires more embouchure control than a mouthpiece with a narrower tip opening and wider side rails. If one looks at a standard student mouthpiece it is designed for players with less embouchure control
I have the squeaks. At present most obvious on bari which has come out of its wraps for the xmas rock and roll numbers and the outro to walk on the Wild Side which I screwed up last year. Of my bari mpc the only ones that dont squeak are the cheapies, the two Ricos, total about 30 quid for both. The worst is the PPT. I assume it is me not having played the thing much for months, but when you talk of embouchure control, what exactly do you mean? Its hard, sitting here typing, to figure out what I am doing when it squeaks, but I am doing or not doing something. I can play it ok but the wild side thing brings out the worst. High to low very quickly, sudden racing runs to the palm keys, its a b***er. Also I chomp through a mpc patch in an hour or so.

Cheers
Mike

richardr

I assume it is me not having played the thing much for months
On the two occasions that I put my tenor aside for alto for a few months I had dreadful squeaks when I resumed tenor. I like to play mouthpieces with wide lays and on the first occasion I found that I could abate the squeaks by using a 'piece with a closer lay, but that brought other problems. Eventually I simply carried on squeaking until the squeaks went away.

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom
test6