All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Squeaky mouthpiece

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Locality
Just north of Munich
The worst is the PPT. I assume it is me not having played the thing much for months, but when you talk of embouchure control, what exactly do you mean?
Assuming the reed is properly held at both end of the table.
With PPTs, especially the tenor, concentrate on pulling your lips in from the side. It performs really well, but is less forgiving of poor embouchure. Other mouthpieces just require top/bottom pressure, but the PPT needs a good pull in from the side - more of a pout, than a smile.

saxyjt

I have saxophone withdrawal symptoms
Subscriber
Locality
France
My wrong! There shows my lack of command of the English language... Perhaps reprimand would have been more appropriate, but I felt diminished, so the downward movement seemed like going in the right direction! :oops:

jbtsax

Subscriber
Locality
Beautiful Springville, Utah USA
I have the squeaks. At present most obvious on bari which has come out of its wraps for the xmas rock and roll numbers and the outro to walk on the Wild Side which I screwed up last year. Of my bari mpc the only ones that dont squeak are the cheapies, the two Ricos, total about 30 quid for both. The worst is the PPT. I assume it is me not having played the thing much for months, but when you talk of embouchure control, what exactly do you mean? Its hard, sitting here typing, to figure out what I am doing when it squeaks, but I am doing or not doing something. I can play it ok but the wild side thing brings out the worst. High to low very quickly, sudden racing runs to the palm keys, its a b***er. Also I chomp through a mpc patch in an hour or so.

Cheers
Mike
There is a ring of muscles around the mouth that form the embouchure which is similar to a big rubber band around the mouthpiece. It is those muscles pushing in from the corners as well as the lower lip pushing up against the reed that controls the vibrations of the reed. When those corner muscles are weak from not playing regularly, the player automatically compensates by "biting". The "biting" increases the possibility of putting more pressure on one side of the reed than the other and causing a squeak.

To strengthen the embouchure muscles: 1) play long tones, 2) do the "smile whistle exercise", 3) hold a drinking straw in the mouth for long periods of time.

jeremyjuicewah

Locality
Costa Blanca Spain
Away now for a bout with the bari. I will try to pull my mouth in at the corners. I recall Kev saying this about PPT alto. I dont do this, or I dont know that I do, so maybe I need to get at it. I have been at the long notes, I thought that would help. Let you know how this goes tonight.

Mike

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Locality
London
3) hold a drinking straw in the mouth for long periods of time.
On the beach, while listening to good jazz, while the warm breeze from the sea caresses your face and you hold the hand of your loved one.

It works wonders...

jeremyjuicewah

Locality
Costa Blanca Spain
Away now for a bout with the bari. I will try to pull my mouth in at the corners. I recall Kev saying this about PPT alto. I dont do this, or I dont know that I do, so maybe I need to get at it. I have been at the long notes, I thought that would help. Let you know how this goes tonight.
Well, the ache in my chops tells me I dont work hard enough at this. When it got too much tonight I changed to the Dukoff, not a problem with this one but its a bit bright for Wild Side. Will persevere because obviously its not right that I squeak, shouldnt have to run away to a safe mpc.

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Locality
Cheshire UK
On the beach, while listening to good jazz, while the warm breeze from the sea caresses your face and you hold the hand of your loved one.

It works wonders...
and later that evening as she reaches out over dinner to caress your face, that same jazz music playing in the background and the stars lighting the night sky her long brown hair falls delicately over her sun bronzed shoulder as she leans over to whisper in your ear ..............

"Wake up Al there's work to be done in the Café " :rolleyes:

Jx

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Locality
London
and later that evening as she reaches out over dinner to caress your face, that same jazz music playing in the background and the stars lighting the night sky her long brown hair falls delicately over her sun bronzed shoulder as she leans over to whisper in your ear ..............

"Wake up Al, I made coffee " :rolleyes:
Please note the due correction.

Back to topic, two weeks holiday can affect my embouchure a lot. I usually dig out my 7* mouthpieces because I cannot play the usual 9

jbtsax

Subscriber
Locality
Beautiful Springville, Utah USA
Now that we all have had our "off topic" fun, let me take us back to the exercise that Donald Sinta recommends for quickly strengthening the embouchure muscles. That is to hold a straw in the center of the lips for as long as possible while watching tv or reading a book. This is a great way to build or maintain your "chops" even when you aren't able to play your saxophone.* This works great for oboists as well.

*Imagining you are lying on a beach is optional.

jeremyjuicewah

Locality
Costa Blanca Spain
Quite a big improvement tonight. Used the PPT with a stronger reed, was able to go high to low fairly well, much less squeaking, less ache. I think its just the need to practice, keep up with the different requirements of making nice sounds with a bari. The straw excercise sounds quite good (no, no alcohol) and will give it a try now. Doc Martin is on and I would sooner suck a dry straw that watch that bilge anyday.

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom
test6