All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Beginner Sax Some basic questions from a noob

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Café Supporter
My yas280 came with a plastic bung to go in the socket to protect the register key mechanism... If going in the case, shouldn't the bung go in, and the skrew be lightly tightend?
With my cases, there is no way the plug could come out once the saxophone is in the case, so no reason to tighten the screw.

Stephen Howard

My yas280 came with a plastic bung to go in the socket to protect the register key mechanism... If going in the case, shouldn't the bung go in, and the skrew be lightly tightend?

The bung goes in (it protects the sticky-up pin key from being damaged) but the screw should not be tightened.

DavidUK

Café Supporter
Congrats of owning a great alto, and many happy hours learning.

As an aside, I happened to have both YAS-25 and YAS-275 here recently and tried them side by side. Whereas the 275 is the more modern sax, to me the 25 sounded better.

I put the 25 up for sale, with the 275 to follow later, and a 12 year turned up with his mum to have a look, and a blow. He was fairly proficient having been learning on a TJ alto which he'd dropped and damaged badly. I suggested he try the 275 too. He preferred the 25 and it sounded better to me also in his hands. Both horns were in excellent playing condition.

So, to the OP, if you ever think about upgrading to a more modern horn don't think newer necessarily means better. I still have an even older 23 (Vito) which is also a step up from a 275.

TimboSax

Deputy junior apprentice 2nd class
Café Supporter
Jazzlabs Saxholder is excellent for taking pressure off the neck.
But make sure you get the Pro version - it’s the newer model, and it’s better than the original.

Interesting. I have both, and I have to say that I prefer the original over the new one.

BigT

This 250 came with a long fluffy thing like Ken Dodds tickling stick, with a bung on the end that sticks proud so I guess thats the same idea.

BigT

Another question regarding the mouthpiece. After playing should the reed be left in or taken out?

Halfers

Finger Flapper
I think the idea with the 'tickle stick' is to put it in after playing, then remove it. I don't think it's recommended to store it in the sax due to moisture build up and potential bugs/molds or whatever..

Reed on Mouthpiece after use. I think the general advice is to remove and store. I have to admit, I do not always follow general advice.. especially with synthetic reeds

mizmar

This 250 came with a long fluffy thing like Ken Dodds tickling stick, with a bung on the end that sticks proud so I guess thats the same idea.
Cool! A three-in-one; protection, dry the inside and embarras the grandkids!
But, yeah, don't leave it in after cleaning (after every session!) It should be dry inside to preserve the pads

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Café Supporter
Hi and thanks for the reply. Can you explain the last paragraph re the clamp please? Should have mentioned I had a serious C4 C5 injury in 85. I underestimated the weight of the Alto on my neck. Going to try the Jaz Labs shoulder harmess To get the weight onto my shoulders.

I use a FreeNeck harness for Bari and Tenor.
But if you have a neck issue then you could also use it for Alto (I use it for alto when I'm doubling Bari & Alto, because there isn't time to swap neck straps)
There is no weight on your neck, shoulders, back ... actually I'm not sure where the weight goes. It has 2 carbon-fibre rods that run the length of your spine and attach to a hip-belt.
It can be worn sitting or standing with no adjustment, and from the front looks just like a normal neck-strap.
When practicing I wear it over my shirt, or cardigan, but for performance, I wear it under my clothing, so just the neck-strap part is visible.
It's expensive (but then so is neck or spine damage) I paid £120 for mine in 2012. It's the only harness I've used for Bari since.

I also have a Cebulla for my alto & soprano (as recommended by Stephen Howard) I had mine made-to-measure because a normal neck strap didn't raise my sax high enough for me to reach it! The metal adjuster was fully at the top of the chords, and I was being choked by the padded neck part, yet the sax was still too low.

BigT

So some feedback: the jazzlabs saxholder arrived via Amazon 8 hours after placing the order. What a revelation, after 30 mins no headache or neck ache or pins and needles in the fingers. Progress at a price. Getting the impression that anything to do with saxophones commands a premium price.

jazzdoh

So some feedback: the jazzlabs saxholder arrived via Amazon 8 hours after placing the order. What a revelation, after 30 mins no headache or neck ache or pins and needles in the fingers. Progress at a price. Getting the impression that anything to do with saxophones commands a premium price.
Glad you are sorted, i wasn't able to play tenor again before the Saxholder arrived probably for me the best saxophone related accessory thats been invented.
BTW I don't think the Saxholder is particularly expensive when you consider some of the other straps and harnesses for example the Vandoren harness is £176.
Enjoy

Tenor Viol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Café Supporter
You want to try photography, and anything labelled 'astrophotography' automatically gets a further hike... My mirrorless Nikon doesn't take standard SD memory cards, so instead of being about £25 for a 64gb card, I have to pay £140 for an XQD card...

As such things go the Jazzlab is reasonable. I have a Freeneck like Mandy mentioned for baritone and that was about £120 - I spent that after wasting £80 on one that just didn't work.

BigT

You want to try photography, and anything labelled 'astrophotography' automatically gets a further hike... My mirrorless Nikon doesn't take standard SD memory cards, so instead of being about £25 for a 64gb card, I have to pay £140 for an XQD card...

As such things go the Jazzlab is reasonable. I have a Freeneck like Mandy mentioned for baritone and that was about £120 - I spent that after wasting £80 on one that just didn't work.
Yes I get it, I also have other expensive hobbies which attract a premium £££. For example Take a £5 pair of waterproof over trousers, stick a label on that says *****GOLF and put a 4 in front of the 5. Or get a label that says ******SAILING and put an 8 in front of the 5. I also think the Jazzlab is reasonable, it’s certainly well made.

Tenor Viol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Café Supporter
Yes I get it, I also have other expensive hobbies which attract a premium £££. For example Take a £5 pair of waterproof over trousers, stick a label on that says *****GOLF and put a 4 in front of the 5. Or get a label that says ******SAILING and put an 8 in front of the 5. I also think the Jazzlab is reasonable, it’s certainly well made.
I know, I also do hill-walking, a bit of sailing, hi-fi, play cello...

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom