All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

A Few Questions for You!

Screamin Wind

Locality
Halesowen, West Midlands
Hi Guys,

1... I have a Martin "The Martin" tenor (1955) that deserves a complete A1 overhaul & repad. I live near Birmingham so a technician on my doorstep would be a great advantage.

So, who do you recommend to do this work for me?
---------------------------------------------------------------

2... I also have a Buescher Aristocrat Series 1 tenor (1939) It has Snap-in Pads, Norton Springs etc & is in pristine condition, 99% lacquer, no dents or dings. About 2 years ago it was completely overhauled & repadded by Roger Price.
I'm thinking of selling this horn as I'm still not comfortable using the LH cluster keys.

Where is the best place to sell it & what ballpark price can I expect this instrument to sell at?
3... Or do I sell both saxes & buy something more modern, if yes, what make & model tenor would you recommend?
I look forward to your replies.

Regards,
Mike

Last edited by a moderator:

Taz

Busking Oracle
Locality
Rugby UK
I can only help you with question 1 I'm afraid. Alex Preston He's in Coventry, so not a million miles away. I can't say how good he is as he's only replaced a spring for me. I have to say though it was a little tricky as the old stub didn't want to come out. However, he didn't charge me much. He's a member on this site although I've not seen him on here recently.

Pete Thomas

Commercial Supporter
Locality
St. Mary's
Keep the The Martin, sell the Buescher.

Just my opinion though.

Rogerb

Locality
Costa Blanca, Spain
My teacher has his MkVI serviced by a repairer somewhere in The Midlands and swears by their work...and prices.
(Something like 'Midlands Wind' ...but I can't recall exactly)
He's away, but I can ask him when I am next in contact if you wish.

Lupifaro

Locality
Wales
My teacher has his MkVI serviced by a repairer somewhere in The Midlands and swears by their work...and prices.

It may be what was MIR midland instrument repair,I think they are still trading under a different name ?? Charlie Connolly as the main man.i am sure someone will get the full details to you very soon:welldone
Good luck Birdman

Screamin Wind

Locality
Halesowen, West Midlands

Yes please if you would Roger...:welldone

thomsax

Locality
Sweden
I would also renovate The Martin. I think Martins are very good. I don't say they are best, they just fit my personality and I feel good playing on them. If you are going to repad make sure that the new pads are thin, 4 mm or thinner, and that the keyheigts are sat low. If you can play the sax (with your ordinary mouthpiece) during regulating of the keys, I think your Martin will be even better. A modern type of pad like Martin Chanu with plastic or metal resonators makes Martins a little more contemporary.

Thomas

AlanU

Locality
Enfield, North London
I like Martins too.
I re-built my Handcraft stencil alto with Roo-pads.
They feel so positive, and they are not much more expensive really.
I know they will outlast me.

Lupifaro

Locality
Wales
It may be what was MIR midland instrument repair,I think they are still trading under a different name ?? Charlie Connolly as the main man.i am sure someone will get the full details to you very soon:welldone
Good luck Birdman

Just found a link to Charlie Connolly:welldone he also trades on eBay as connollymir he is still in the west midlands:)
birdman

www.studiosaxophones.co.uk

Staff online

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom