• New!

    Try our new Social Feeds, look out for the navigation icon: . You can now set default social feed view in your account preferences.

Beginner Saxes Some basic questions from a noob

BigT

Member
Messages
144
Location
England
I have been gifted a mint, really is mint, YAS 25 with case, stand and accessories including a new in box Yamaha 4c mouthpiece a box of Rico #2 reeds. I always loved the sound of the alto so decided to give it ago even though I have not played any instrument since leaving a Silver Band aged 17 50 years ago. In the last 2 days and with the help of videos from Better Sax, I have managed to: clean the whole sax inside and out (but it was clean anyway) fit a Reed and assemble the crook into the body and sort of hang it round my neck. I can now play a C major scale, which most of the time anyway seems to be approximately in tune, but I am running into a few issues that I need help with. 1, I hate the standard neck strap, it cuts in and is horrid. I tried a Neotech and that was like a tight dog collar that strangled the air flow, so I plan to try a shoulder harness type, recommendations please. 2) Should the screws on the Yamaha Ligature be on the top or bottom? The handbook shows both but which is correct? 3) Due to many years working with my hands I have stiff finger joints so I guess using all those little pads and buttons will be very hard for me so am I better to stop now rather than prolong the agony? Thanks in advance.
 
Congratulations. You are off to a great start with some good equipment. For alto and tenor I like "Just Joe's Gel Strap". I wear a shirt with a collar, and that strap is the most comfortable I have found. On a properly installed two screw ligature, the screws should be on the right. That tells you whether they go on top or the bottom. I am turning 73 and have a touch of arthritis and stiffness in my fingers too. I take 2 Advil each morning on the advice of my doctor and it helps quite a bit.
 
+1 just Joe's.
Only you'll know how well your fingers will work. But there's nothing like moving joints to keep them going and a nice, slow Ballard is as fulfilling as 200bpm Bebop

Sounds like you're off to a good start. Enjoy.
 
Best strap I have owned: Feather IV | Marmaduke Strap

I think screws should be on bottom. To be honest, as good as the internet is, you will get more from a lesson with a teacher than 100 videos. They will be able to identify issues that will really set you back if unaddressed (embouchure, technique etc).
 
Neck straps (or slings) are very personal - what suits someone else may not suit you. Personally I prefer the Cebulla straps, but prior to that I was very happy with a BG. I never recommend a Neotech - the last thing you want from a sling is that it stretches.

Ligature screws...any way up/down you like. Makes sod all difference. Try each way and see what suits you (and sod what anyone else says).

Stiff fingers. Keep your hands warm (nitrile gloves are excellent in this respect) - and if you don't already, take a daily dose of glucosamine and chondroiton. I suffer with a bit of arthritis in my thumbs, and this stuff has really made a difference. Mind you, so has a shot of whisky...

And...don't give up.

Finally...when you remove the crook (neck) don't tighten up the clamp screw. It'll stretch the socket over time. Very common problem on Yamahas.
 
+1 just Joe's.
Only you'll know how well your fingers will work. But there's nothing like moving joints to keep them going and a nice, slow Ballard is as fulfilling as 200bpm Bebop

Sounds like you're off to a good start. Enjoy.
Hi and thanks for the reply. I guess it’s down to trial and error plus ibuprofen. Lol
 
Neck straps (or slings) are very personal - what suits someone else may not suit you. Personally I prefer the Cebulla straps, but prior to that I was very happy with a BG. I never recommend a Neotech - the last thing you want from a sling is that it stretches.

Ligature screws...any way up/down you like. Makes sod all difference. Try each way and see what suits you (and sod what anyone else says).

Stiff fingers. Keep your hands warm (nitrile gloves are excellent in this respect) - and if you don't already, take a daily dose of glucosamine and chondroiton. I suffer with a bit of arthritis in my thumbs, and this stuff has really made a difference. Mind you, so has a shot of whisky...

And...don't give up.

Finally...when you remove the crook (neck) don't tighten up the clamp screw. It'll stretch the socket over time. Very common problem on Yamahas.
Thanks for the reply. Can you explain the last paragraph please?
 
Neck straps (or slings) are very personal - what suits someone else may not suit you. Personally I prefer the Cebulla straps, but prior to that I was very happy with a BG. I never recommend a Neotech - the last thing you want from a sling is that it stretches.

Ligature screws...any way up/down you like. Makes sod all difference. Try each way and see what suits you (and sod what anyone else says).

Stiff fingers. Keep your hands warm (nitrile gloves are excellent in this respect) - and if you don't already, take a daily dose of glucosamine and chondroiton. I suffer with a bit of arthritis in my thumbs, and this stuff has really made a difference. Mind you, so has a shot of whisky...

And...don't give up.

Finally...when you remove the crook (neck) don't tighten up the clamp screw. It'll stretch the socket over time. Very common problem on Yamahas.
 
Hi and thanks for the reply. Can you explain the last paragraph re the clamp please? Should have mentioned I had a serious C4 C5 injury in 85. I underestimated the weight of the Alto on my neck. Going to try the Jaz Labs shoulder harmess To get the weight onto my shoulders.
 
Joes strap is really comfortable. Just search just joes music. He is in Oregon. Good guy too so your not just supporting some monsters corporate shop killer.
 
I use a Cebulla with alto, but a Jazzlab with tenor. I can't take the weight of the tenor on my neck as it causes pain. The Jazzlab works well for me.

I'm also a cellist and the advice I've been given is to keep hands moving, use them, do some basic stretching exercises (don't go mad). If something causes pain, stop.
 
Jazzlabs Saxholder is excellent for taking pressure off the neck.
But make sure you get the Pro version - it’s the newer model, and it’s better than the original.
I have chosen the pro version, should be here today, what would I do without Amazon when in lockdown. Lol
 
Joes strap is really comfortable. Just search just joes music. He is in Oregon. Good guy too so your not just supporting some monsters corporate shop killer.
unfortunately by the time it landed in the U.K. the shipping $20, 23% import duty plus vat, and HMRC collection charges would bring it in at over £140 so be too expensive to take a punt on. If there was a U.K. supplier I might be tempted.
 
Thomann have Just Joes straps. It's the version from Kölbl, but I assume they are the same.
But I would recommend the Jazzlab Saxholder.

 
unfortunately by the time it landed in the U.K. the shipping $20, 23% import duty plus vat, and HMRC collection charges would bring it in at over £140 so be too expensive to take a punt on. If there was a U.K. supplier I might be tempted.
UK folks should always give Dawks and sax.co.uk a look.

But, just Joe's is just a better neck strap. Jazzlab is probably better if you've actually had neck injury.
 
Thanks for the reply. Can you explain the last paragraph please?

Yeah.
When you put the crook/neck on the sax there's a little thumb screw you have to tighten up to lock the crook in place (otherwise it might swing around while you're playing). When you finish playing you slacken off the screw and remove the crook.
At this point some people snug the screw up again - probably because it has a habit of falling out due to vibrations when you're carrying the horn around in a car.
However, without the crook fitted the screw has nothing to butt up against - which means you can tighten it past the point where it would normally stop. When this happens it pinches the top of the crook socket up...and over a period of time this can stretch the socket.
What this means is that you end up having to tighten up the screw ever-tighter in order to lock the crook in place.
This then typical creates a bulge below the little slot between the screw lugs...and in some cases the metal will start to crack here.

So - remove the crook and leave the locking screw loose. Only tighten it up when the crook is fitted.
 

Trending

Latest Song of the Month

Forum statistics

Topics
32,260
Messages
575,954
Members
8,083
Latest member
Reedswinds
Back
Top Bottom