supportTutorialsCDsPPT mouthpieces

Shellac or Hot Glue for pads?

Stephen Howard

The metal reflector rivets have a splayed tail (a sort of bifurcated rivet). All you need do is bend the tails up and then you can push the rivet out. No need to drill them.
You order them in a specific size rather than the size of the pad.

saxyjt

I have saxophone withdrawal symptoms
Subscriber
Found the brand of pads...Zhenghao
That's funny, I just placed an order there to proceed with repading a couple of sopranos I have that can't sing reliably. After reading the article about the Alder C soprano I rushed downstairs to check if the pads required where normal thickness or thinner and checked a few of the pads I have in stock from Zhenghao, especially the small ones. There's not much room to play with on sopranos for these small pads and there are many...

Since its custom pad sizes, I first created a spreadsheet and double checked it against the order I placed. I did well as for some reason their site is not as reliable as you would expect and if you make changes to the number of pads you order, you may have surprises. My total didn't balance and some pads were still there that I removed on the order page (tab), others were missing. But the way the site works is a bit odd and if you make changes, don't return to the order tab. I had to delete the items that I didn't need, use the "continue shopping", add the missing pads to the newly open products ordering tab then "go cart" to check and proceed to the deliver stage. Mileage may vary depending on the browser you use, but that's how it went on Chrome.

Now, 25$ including shipping for 2 sets of pads for soprano and a few extras, that's about 25% of the price of MusicMedic roopads. In better days, I would go for the quality of roopads but nowadays I am happy I can get that price and complete a job on a horn that I will sell on with probably no gain. Only a bit more tech experience!

Stephen Howard

I hope they'll be OK.
I keep meaning to order some more, but haven't quite got around to it. With a bit of luck they won't be following in the footsteps of so many Chinese manufacturers...which is to produce very acceptable goods (for the price) initially, and then reduce the quality over a period of time.
I believe Zhenghao is a small company, and the chap I spoke to a few years ago seemed very keen and on-the-ball...and if the products have got even better they ought to be really rather good by now.

OP
DavidUK

DavidUK

Talking of thickness... not me, the pads... I noticed today the various Windplus Pisoni and Prestini pads are all different thicknesses from one another?

Now, for a Vito 23 alto, what should the thicknesses be for 9mm; 18mm; 40mm?
Or do I pop the pads out now and measure? If so, at what point across the pad?
I have one out of the F key, an 18mm pad, but the thickness varies depending where I measure across?

OK with the plastic reflectors, they measure 8mm for an 18mm pad; 27.5mm (28mm I guess, for ordering) for the 40mm pad.

Thanks for bearing with me! o_O

jbtsax

Subscriber
Talking of thickness... not me, the pads... I noticed today the various Windplus Pisoni and Prestini pads are all different thicknesses from one another?

Now, for a Vito 23 alto, what should the thicknesses be for 9mm; 18mm; 40mm?
Or do I pop the pads out now and measure? If so, at what point across the pad?
I have one out of the F key, an 18mm pad, but the thickness varies depending where I measure across?

OK with the plastic reflectors, they measure 8mm for an 18mm pad; 27.5mm (28mm I guess, for ordering) for the 40mm pad.

Thanks for bearing with me! o_O
I learn something new every day on this forum. I checked out Windcraft and the LP Pro by Pisoni, along with ES by Prestini and they do have pads in 3 different thicknesses depending upon the diameter. Pisoni 3.2, 4.0, 4.3mm and Prestini 3.2 3.8 4.2mm

Music Medic tan or roo pads that I stock measure .160 - .165 thickness [thanks Nigeld for catching my mistake] in all sizes. That corresponds to 4.1 mm - 4.2 mm. The technique I use is to "dry fit" the pads in the keycups to estimate the amount of shellac required to match the requirements of the key orientation. In cases where the minimum amount of shellac makes the pad heavy at the back, I tilt the front of the key down. I have read about other techs who fuss about matching the pad thickness to the diameter of the keycup, but I have not found that to be necessary in my work.

I would be interested to hear @Stephen Howard's view on this topic.

Last edited:

Stephen Howard

I do much the same as you.. The thickness of the pads is never going to be an exact science, especially on older horns that will probably have been bashed about and worked on in the past - so I tend to stick with a single size for the most part and only order in a particular thickness if the job specifically requires it.
Otherwise I have a number of techniques I can use to raise or lower the working height of the pad - such as key manipulation, glue thickness and even the odd shim on rare occasions. If push comes to shove I'll dismantle the pad and remake it with a thinner/thicker core and/or backing.
And if it really comes to it I can just make pads up from scratch.

As a general rule I tend to prefer the least amount of pad manipulation possible - I'd much rather rely on metal to hold its place than something as lively as a piece of felt.

I'd maybe change my approach if I had access to more 'just in time' pad stockists, but we're sadly limited over here.

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Subscriber
Music Medic tan or roo pads that I stock measure 1.60" - 1.65" diameter in all sizes.
I'm guessing that you mean "thickness" rather than "diameter".
But I would have thought that pads which are 1.6" thick might feel a bit squidgy. :eek:

griff136

Yes, was looking earlier. Two questions... plastic resonator sizes.. order the diameter of the reso not the pad?
Windplus' MyPads come with metal riveted reso, so do I have to drill this out to clip in the plastic one? Ta.
@DavidUK order the size of the resonator not he pad size.
instead of drilling out the rivet, I prefer to lift up the splayed edges on the back of the pad where the rivet has been split.

OP
DavidUK

DavidUK

jbtsax

Subscriber
I'm guessing that you mean "thickness" rather than "diameter".
But I would have thought that pads which are 1.6" thick might feel a bit squidgy. :eek:
I just wanted to see if anyone was paying attention. :) Thanks for the catch. I not only wrote diameter instead of thickness. I put the decimal in the wrong place. Having a senior moment, I guess.

OP
DavidUK

DavidUK

Thanks Dave. I wouldn't mind measuring the old pads, but the one I have out measures differently all over so I need to know where the new pad measurement is taken for the manufacturers/retailers to arrive at their figures.

jbtsax

Subscriber
If by Vito 23 you mean the Vito made in Japan that is identical to the YAS-23 I have used the .160" pads from Music Medic with good success. I wouldn't fuss about different thicknesses for different diameter pads as described in my previous post.

OP
DavidUK

DavidUK

From Dawkes today, following a phone call with the bad news on my pads:

"As mentioned, the ETA for the GSL0900 and GSP1800 is end of November 2018 and the ETA for GSP4000 is end of January 2019 - of course, all popular sizes so we constantly have them on order given they can take 4-8 months to arrive as they are hand made."

Hey, what!? FOUR months for pads to arrive?
So, on Friday I phoned Windplus. They advised which pads to buy (Premium Deluxe) for my Yamaha Vito, and I ordered them (all in stock) online.
The phoned Dawkes to cancel my order with them, as they had suggested a week earlier due to back order delay (see above) to be told they'd been sent out on Thursday. Advised me to return them for a refund.

Would have been nice if they'd told me before I ordered elsewhere?! Anyway, their order hasn't arrived, whereas the Windplus one arrived Saturday morning. Great service from WIndplus. Poor from Dawkes.

saxyjt

I have saxophone withdrawal symptoms
Subscriber
Just so you know, I mentioned ordering from ZhengHao alias ZHmelody.com here in this thread, but since then my order has been more or less on halt! As I just described here.

So wait before you order from them! I will let you know if things get back to normal, but for now it doesn't look good as I do not get answers to my emails. The last one I sent, I used Google translate into Chinese to make sure they understand at least the general idea. Here is what I wrote:

Anybody here?

I’m reading stories about your company not supplying the orders anymore!

Is that true?

The saxophone community starts to talk badly of your service.

Please REACT before your reputation goes bad.

We'll see if they are still in business and care about their customers.

Top Bottom