PPT mouthpieces

Sheet Music sheet music

paul2610

Locality
Morayshire
I've started recently to download sheet music from one of the many online stores for alto sax but have had a look at sheets for other instruments as well, like for guitars.

My understanding of music theory is as rusty as my sax playing at the moment but after using some of these guitar sheets, I did wonder if transcribing is nessesary for these sheets as some I have used of the same song for sax and guitar did have differences such as the addition of flats, in an octave higher etc but regardless did sound similar.

cheers

Oh and while playing the godfather theme today, I played the low c# without any squecking or farting - it sounded like it should and my fingers went straight to where they had to. Nothing amazing to you pro's I know but its just great to play without an annoying sound on the low notes.

Low notes are the hardest... Until you get to altissimo.

A lot of the transcriptions will also have guitar chords - this implies that the alto sax part has already been transcribed, otherwise the guitar chords wouldn't fit.

Same if there's a piano accompaniment. However.... If you get a book with the piano part and a separate alto sax book/part, you'll see that the piano part has what the piano plays, plus the alto sax part in the original key. While the alto sax book will be in the transcribed key. This tells the accompanist what you should be playing, in case they have to demonstrate it for you.

So if you're going to play with other instruments, you part must be transcribed from concert pitch. And you need to check the score to see if that's been done. Generally it will have been, so no work for you.

.....but if you are just playing by yourself, and don't particularly mind what key the music comes out in, it doesn't matter what instrument name is written at the top of the page (assuming all the notes are within the range of youu/your instrument).

Sax cess

I've started recently to download sheet music from one of the many online stores for alto sax but have had a look at sheets for other instruments as well, like for guitars.

My understanding of music theory is as rusty as my sax playing at the moment but after using some of these guitar sheets, I did wonder if transcribing is nessesary for these sheets as some I have used of the same song for sax and guitar did have differences such as the addition of flats, in an octave higher etc but regardless did sound similar.

cheers

Oh and while playing the godfather theme today, I played the low c# without any squecking or farting - it sounded like it should and my fingers went straight to where they had to. Nothing amazing to you pro's I know but its just great to play without an annoying sound on the low notes.

Nice one mate - keep at it ... :welldone

Its nice to know that I could use music sheets meant for other instruments, certain G and R songs come to mind from my 20's but don't worry I really have'nt got the hair for it these days!

and cheers for comment on my practise - I usually warm up by going up and down the scale doinjg the flats and sharps - not only helps me memorise fingering etc for each note but also in the case of the low and high notes, has helped refined their sound. Not all perfect at the moment (still turn red doing the high F and due to bad regulation, can't quite get the low B).
After yesterdays little milestone it does seem to be improving atleast some music I am trying to play, although I would love to get rid of all the squeaks completely before making an audience endure them.

can't quite get the low B

Keep practicing. One of my exam pieces end low B, Low A#. At first, I couldn't play either notes, but now after 3 or so months, it seems fairly straightforward now.

Practice is the key for the low notes,after a while you will be playing them as easy as any other.it is also good to play tunes in different keys and get used to playing in different keys but just as stefank mentions make sure the tune is in your and your instruments range

I don't know what you're using now, but a softer reed may help you get started with those low notes.

cheers again for the replies - my low problem (especially with the low B - the only low one I can't get) is it needs a good service and adjusting, just not got the funds yet.

Recently been trying to find sheet music for 'Rodrigos concerto', would any one know where I could get it.

While looking for other such music I came across this site with free sheet music PDF's - has a few nice tunes:
http://makingmusicfun.net/htm/printit_free_printable_sheet_music_index.htm

This is a very useful site for "classical" music:

http://imslp.org/wiki/Main_Page

I doubt that you will find a free legal version of the Rodrigo on the web, as it will still be very much in copyright, as he only died in 1999.

I started my search at my usual sheet music shops and only found the free site listed when I searched for william tell.

After using the site you gave me stefank I found out a lot more about it and the copywright differculties you mentioned but did find this - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Concierto-A...inkCode=wsw&tag=stereoboard-21&creative=14810.

Miniature Score - what is a miniature score, is it the same as a normal score but smaller?

Shame about the copywright and that the many copies which brass bands might have could be seem as illegel, its music which should be heard and played to enjoy - when a book I wrote years ago went out of print, I could of just left it rot on a shelf somewhere but instead published it free online as its purpose was to be read and not make money.

And yes my search for it comes from watching 'brassed off' last night, but I started my career playing in an orchestra and the collective sound of all the instruments still moves me quite a bit.

On the copyright story, one of our local music schools was recently approached by the copyright holders association, and accused of copying scores without permission/evading licence fees - based on photos that they said showed people playing from photocopies which were posted on the school's web pages.

The association's job is to ensure that licence fees are paid for copies of music. depending on the arrangement with the composer/publisher, these fees may remain with the publisher or some revert to the composer.

Although many composers are dead, many of them would have left their future incomes to their heirs, and the role of the association is in this case to continue to collect licencing fees where appropriate. It's not to prevent the music from being performed. We decide that, based on whether we want to hear it or not (and in the case of a music school, whether the teachers want to use it).

I was under the impression that transcriptions were legit, but I'm not sure any more. Funny, cos a lot of people are encouaged to tanscribe a piece to help them lean it and to help them develop. Where does the copyright madness end?

Miniature Score - what is a miniature score, is it the same as a normal score but smaller?

A lot smaller. Usually a miniature is shows all parts, but it is very much reduced in size (to a "pocket" format).

Miniature scores are intended for study purposes. They are not very practical for performsnce, unless you hsve excellent eyesight and don't mind constantly having to turn pages.

the optisions is booked and the advert in the local rag reads "full time page turner needed by old squeaky horn player" - that should do it!

Got another question - some of the music I am trying to play have b# and e# in them - the daft question is: whats the fingering for these as they are not listed within the music books I am using?

After reading other threads, I gather that there is a few people who have or are studying misic theory, something thats about as clear to me as distant mountains in a sand storm, so have collected a few books and certains things are starting to clear such as the question "why have flats and sharps". I found its pretty easy reading about it and found this website - http://www.musictheory.net/ - which allows me to put some of the theory into practise. Just thought it might help others learning this stuff.

Got another question - some of the music I am trying to play have b# and e# in them - the daft question is: whats the fingering for these as they are not listed within the music books I am using?

Your music theory reading will probably clear this up better than I can, but the short(ish) answer is:

There's only a semitone between B and C and between E and F. Unlike, say F and G which are a tone (2 semitones) apart.
So B# = C, E# = F, Cb = B, Fb = E.

As to why you'd sometimes want to write them that way, that's a much longer story!

Cheers

Martin

All BigMartin had to add, was to prevent # and b appearing in the same scale.
Back to bed.

And so that each scale had all the letters without duplication.

And... (next please)

That's also why (well, one of the reasons) we have double sharps and double flats. Joy of joys!

You get used to them after a while.

cheers for that bigmartin and to the others - I got everything except the double sharps/flats - but I'll leave that til later once my brains had some refreshment!

The other day I was looking for a metronome and found this free software - http://www.metronomeonline.com/ - works great from the computer but it's only free because they have other software they try to get you to buy - just refuse it or not include it during the download.