Sheet Music Beginner wondering how to find sheet music

Theresa

I'm wondering if you folks have recommendations for sites/apps to find and or transcribe sheet music for alto sax.
E.g. I love handbags and gladrags by Stereophonics and am looking for a resource to help me play it?

Thanks
T

eb424

soo how would you get the whole song for tenor sax... funny i heard this song on the radio yesterday and thought that would be great on the tenor..

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Subscriber
If you are going to play with a backing in concert Bb, then transpose the melody to C for tenor sax.

eb424

Hi Nigeld thanks... any of it t.b.f lol. I can read notes ( slowly) but don't understand it from there. Lots of music books have just the sax solo but I like to play the whole song with a backing track. Is it possible to do this with this sheet music. I really should have learnt music before an instrument as prob to old now..

Greg Strange

Lost me there.. darn this music stuff lol
Saxophones are transposing Instruments (unless you own a C-Melody sax) which means soprano, tenor and bass saxophones are in the key of B-flat, and sopranino, alto, baritone and contra-bass saxophones are pitched in the key of E-flat. If you went to the piano and played A above middle C, you would have to play 3rd octave B on the tenor sax to sound like the same note and 2nd octave F# on the alto sax to sound like the A on the piano. You're probably glad you don't play the alto flute because that is pitched in the key of G...

The easiest method for me for transposing is if somebody is playing a certain key or note on a "C" instrument e.g. piano, guitar, etc count two semi tones above to get to the key for the Bb instrument and three semi tones down for a Eb instrument...e.g. if the piano player is playing in the key of C the tenor sax plays D and the alto sax plays A...

Greg S.

nigeld

Subscriber
Hi Nigeld thanks... any of it t.b.f lol. I can read notes ( slowly) but don't understand it from there. Lots of music books have just the sax solo but I like to play the whole song with a backing track. Is it possible to do this with this sheet music. I really should have learnt music before an instrument as prob to old now..
In order to play with a backing track, you need 2 things:
1. The backing track
2. The sheet music; i.e. the notes to play from (unless you are playing from memory).

Your original query just asked about the sheet music, so I assumed that you have a backing track.

If you do have a backing track then:
1. Find out what key it is in (e.g. Bb)
2. Then go to the site referenced in @Pete Thomas 's post and get a copy of the notes in a key which is 3 semitones lower than the backing track (i.e. G in this case.) See the post above this one for an explanation.
EDIT: I originally wrote instructions for tenor instead of alto. Now corrected.

If you don't have a backing track, then I'm afraid I don't know where you will find one.

Does anyone else have any suggestions?

Last edited:

nigeld

Subscriber
Sorry @eb424 - For some reason I thought the you had a tenor sax, but it's an alto.
So point 2 in my posting above was wrong - now corrected.

Oilpainter

If you are not adverse to spending some money, you might want to look at scribd.com. For $8.99 US per month, you can download unlimited sheet music, not to mention books, magazines,etc. i am not shilling for them, but I use it and find it much cheaper than traditionally buying sheet music.

rcosta

In order to play with a backing track (...)

If you don't have a backing track, then I'm afraid I don't know where you will find one.

Does anyone else have any suggestions?
As "backing band" I usually use youtube (you can find there some good backing tracks) or the iReal Pro app in my android phone (maybe also available for ios) where you can find an huge music library or you can easily add your customized musics, you just need to know the chords.

eb424

Thanks all, sorry been away from the thread for a while.. i do have a tenor so ill have a look through the comments and try to make sence of them...

QWales

I started with a beginners book, Abracadabra, which came with a CD, you can rip this to MP3 if required. For backing tracks with and without the sax player and a book with the notes go for the Hal Leonard or Jamie Abersold books. There's over a hundred of each to choose from and lots of well know tunes, unless you're under 40.

SYOS
Top Bottom