All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Sheet Music sheet music

allansto

Ok so we all know sax is not the top instrument of choice in a band.
I would like to play some music that I like, but how do I get the music of an arangement
for an instrument like tenor sax.
Eg; I would like to play Hallelujah by lenard cohen but all the sheet music I can find is for every other instrument but.
Does it need to be transposed?
Help?

jeremyjuicewah

Hi. Someone not long ago posted info about wikiphonia where you can get sheet music. I have found that transposing is not such a chore and is quite a good way of learning, at least for me. Sorry cant be much help. Wish you luck even though Hallelujah is for me the most awful stuff.
Best wishes
Mike

Sunray

Here you go mate ...

Ok so we all know sax is not the top instrument of choice in a band.
I would like to play some music that I like, but how do I get the music of an arangement
for an instrument like tenor sax.
Eg; I would like to play Hallelujah by lenard cohen but all the sheet music I can find is for every other instrument but.
Does it need to be transposed?
Help?
I would like to play Hallelujah by Lenard Cohen

Download MuseScore its free ...

You can transpose to a key of your choice with a couple of clicks ... ;}

Experiment with the Transpose link [Just below the Download Button] ...

The Download Button will give you the lead sheet in PDF format ...

or/also

Save a copy in MusicXML - [see link] to save a copy in a format so you can load it into MuseScore where you can also transpose it easily ... :mrcool

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris

Well Known
Subscriber
If you use "Wikiphonia" then that site will transpose for you, top right hand side of your screen.

Chris

allansto

thanks
The link you gave took me right to it
The music was in c and pressing the bflat tab didnt make it sound right at all
So I played with the transpose button pressing +5/1flat gave me something that sounds about right.
cheers

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Allan, tenor sax is in Bb, i.e. it plays a tone (and an octave) below what's written. So any music in concert pitch needs to be transposed UP to compensate - by 2 semitones. Thus music in C needs to be transposed to D (2 sharps) for tenor. Bb tab on wikifonia does just that. Sometimes it sounds too low, so you'll transpose up another octave (or just play an octave higher). After transposing, make sure the transposition is within the range of the instrument.

allansto

Thanks Kev
This is all new to me, but if I do as you suggest then the bflat key transposition puts in
an f sharp.
I dont think i can play an f sharp on my tenor sax ( according to my key chart)
If so, please tell me how ?
I could ask my teacher but Ive broken my leg and cant get to lessons at the moment.

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom