• New!

    Try our new Social Feeds, look out for the navigation icon: . You can now set default social feed view in your account preferences.

Saxophones Saxophones, rarely discussed

Messages
679
Location
USA
Everybody knows the nice horns that get talked about all the time (Selmer, Martin, Yamaha, etc). Then there are the good instruments less talked about but I would say still fairly well known (a Yamaha Vito stencil for example).

How about a topic for those worthy saxophones (I'll leave the definition of worthy alone for now) that are rarely discussed?

Yesterday I 'discovered' the F.E. Olds Super:


Obviously beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I have to say that is a very cool looking alto! With an interesting story as well, that you can find if you dig a bit here or at the other forum.

So, what other models might fit the topic?
 
I think perhaps 25% of forum posts discuss the non-grail models of sax actually...you may not be perusing the appropriate subforums.

Olds Super is an enigmatic model which over the past twenty years has gotten, as you discovered, a fair number of threads on SOTW, pre-regime.

I have only refurbed one, and that was back when they had not yet achieved their mythic reputation. Interesting horn, good horn. Its somewhat nebulous, Martinesque pedigree and the accompanying lore attempting to assign it a concrete history has elevated it to an unusual status among vintage sax ner-- um...aficionados
 
but gosh, you are asking about GOOD MODELS which rarely get (or have gotten) much attention ...that list can get really long...
Holton
Desidera
Boiste
some Beaugniers
some Pierrets

jump to mind....

Then familiar companies who made some good models which didn't 'catch'....

Conn 5m, 7m, and 9m
Buffet S-1
Grassi Prestige
The last Beaugnier/Noblet/Vito tenor, was it the 38 or 39 ? The one with the modern keywork better than their Duke...
The first non-THC version of the Buescher 400, which retained around 90% of the THC specs but
has been dismissed because it is thought to be post Selmer buyout...
Some B&S's
Hohner President
Selmer USA 162 and 164

In contemporary horns, Allora makes the Vienna and Paris 'intermediate' models which are quite good, I mean you can peg a used one for a few hundred less than a Yama 23 and the latter cannot go toe-to-toe with either of those...

A lotta good Jupes get no love...

A few of the more obscure Yamaha models, the Allegros, which turned out to be 62's with a few less bits of bling....
 
I didn't have a tenor (I didn't need one, really...) and a late 20s 'York' turned up pretty cheap recently, and I bought it. I am meaning to do a thread some time if someone is interested? I probably bought it because it had a Selmer scroll shank HR mouthpiece with it, and I like my one of those on alto - this one is a lot more closed but I might have a go at it. And the sax - blows very well, right down to the bottom. It's a bit wierd with an extra octave hole just for middle D.
 
That would be a a 'real' York then, one actually made at their factory before the company got bought out and the subsequent owners started sourcing their saxes from other companies...thus making York saxes essentially stencils from the 40's forward.....yeah the York-made Yorks have some interesting details...
 
That would be a a 'real' York then, one actually made at their factory before the company got bought out and the subsequent owners started sourcing their saxes from other companies...thus making York saxes essentially stencils from the 40's forward.....yeah the York-made Yorks have some interesting details...
That would be the York made saxes in Grand Rapids Michigan to the ownership transfer to Carl Fischer. Then builds sourced from around the globe.
 
I didn't have a tenor (I didn't need one, really...) and a late 20s 'York' turned up pretty cheap recently, and I bought it. I am meaning to do a thread some time if someone is interested? I probably bought it because it had a Selmer scroll shank HR mouthpiece with it, and I like my one of those on alto - this one is a lot more closed but I might have a go at it. And the sax - blows very well, right down to the bottom. It's a bit wierd with an extra octave hole just for middle D.
I’ve purchased more than one alto listed on the mouthpiece alone. The actual sax as a value added extra.
 
I'm selling a seldom talked about sax, an Inderbinen tenor. It's certainly not a "Vintage" horn. Supposedly it's sound is somewhere between a modern horn and a vintage American horn. I don't know... I just play it and change mouthpieces to fit whatever style I'm playing... and play it does! Who knew the Swiss could make a sax? Pete Thomas and Stephen Howard, who generally do not share similar views about good horns both played the Inderbinen at a NAAM Show (so the story goes) and both gave it a thumbs up. Very versatile.
 
Yesterday I 'discovered' the F.E. Olds Super:


Obviously beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I have to say that is a very cool looking alto! With an interesting story as well, that you can find if you dig a bit here or at the other forum.
Full disclosure. I’m the tech that serviced this alto. Posts made on my blog.
I’m affiliated with Brass Rescue.
That said….
This is a very rare sax. Designed and developed in Los Angeles pre war by a former Martin employee.
The dimple in key cups… Mr Olds wanted a sax that was easily identified as “That’s an “Olds”.
To this day that stands true.
Most of the production is sitting at the bottom of the Atlantic thanks to U Boats.
I’m guessing less than 200 survive. A or T in total. My research beyond the stated listing information.
None. Nothing fully documented or proven. Just observing. I/ we reasonably research all and every horn to the very best of our abilities. Ask questions.
Amount of units in brass lacquered or silver plating unknown. Gold plated, none we have viewed.
My honest impression of overall performance ( from the 14 Martin models I own) ….
This unique Olds is worthy. It has the tone, feel and sound of a true Martin and hint of Olds. This was playing on what I assume were orginal pads.
@helen at Basic sax has knowledge and pictures of this model. The search links from the site haven’t worked for me in years…. “Site in maintenance mode”.

For those wondering why I haven’t acquired this horn personally. I would love to as an addition to my Martin collection as a unique extension.
Honestly my collection currently exceeds 200 units. SACTB, other.
I would rather see this Olds Supra alto out being used and enjoyed.
 
Years ago I found an Olds Super for $600 on eBay. I don't recall if it was an alto or tenor, but it was silver-plated and I've been kicking myself ever since for not buying it.
I do that to get cases and necks....oftentimes cheaper than buying just those pieces sold on their own....
I've consistently found that the vast majority of empty used clarinet cases cost more than a complete clarinet in a case. But I have yet to be able to bring myself to just throw an instrument in the trash. I bought a Conn 50N (hard rubber with the infamous cast zinc keys) mostly for the mouthpiece and to see what the keywork was actually like, knowing that the deluxe case alone would make the mouthpiece free or nearly so. I couldn't resist replacing the few pads it took to get it playable though.
 

Trending

Latest Song of the Month

Forum statistics

Topics
32,262
Messages
576,028
Members
8,083
Latest member
Reedswinds
Back
Top Bottom