support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Sax quartet

Jazzaferri

Locality
Victoria BC Canada
I have just been asked to join a sax quartet. I said yes and rehearsal times have been set up. Then I realized, I didnt ask what sort of music we are going to play. I am assuming from who the the leader is, it will be jazzy oriented as she is primarily a jazz soprano player but....

Is there a typical style of music that sax quartets play. Never been in one, never even heard one?

Is there a typical style of music that sax quartets play. Never been in one, never even heard one?

Primarily for square dances - one member stands at each corner of the square and gives the dancers a nudge when they need it.

<Raises one eyebrow at Kev>

We play a bit of everything - some Jazz / Swing, some Classical; We've also done Tangos, Fun, Traditional, Popular.
We have friends who play in a different quartet who do only classical.

My quartet takes the view we'll try any proposal by a member of the quartet, if it works then we keep it in the repertoire, if it won't work for us after a few rehearsals, it gets consigned to the "may come back to this later" bin.

I don't think you can assume anything. It may be best to check.

I love playing sax quartets and I'm sure you will enjoy playing whatever music they have. My own quartet is like Mandy's and we play a bit of everything. Great fun. Let us know how it goes.

Jim.

Thanks for the input. I will prepare myself mentally for a trip to the musical unknown...and I will let ypu know. Our first rehearsal is the 22nd of sept.

Back
Top Bottom