• New!

    Try our new Social Feeds, look out for the navigation icon: . You can now set default social feed view in your account preferences.

Cafe Announcements 📣 Rules update

Pete Thomas

Well-Known Member
Cafe Moderator
Commercial
Messages
23,389
Location
London
Level
Retired professional
You may have noticed a tickbox to accept our updated rules.

Please feel free to make comments here on the changes (or existing rules). A lot of time and thought went into these rules whose enytire aim is to make the Cafe a more pleasant place for all.

AI thank you.
 
I read the rules first, before clicking agree (my grandfather told me this was a good idea many years ago, assuming that “clicking” and “signing” mean the same thing…). But I was disappointed to see that the “after reading, please comment here” thing disappeared after I agreed. So I’m commenting here.

I like the rules just fine. I strongly dislike the fact that they are necessary. I personally would be just fine with people hurling insults at each other and swearing like sailors online, but I understand why this behavior is frowned upon. (Seems to me that the need for explicit rules correlates inversely with the amount of instruction on correct behavior received from one’s parents…)

The legal climate is even more disturbing to me. But that’s another story and perhaps not suitable for this forum.

I think the whole thing could be handled by a single simple rule - a golden one, actually. Though I prefer the street version - “Don’t be a …” - well, you know what I mean.
 
I personally would be just fine with people hurling insults at each other and swearing like sailors online...
Ahh... alt.music.sax... I remember it so fondly.

Still, there was a moment, ever so brief, where the Internet was the playground for the more studious, artful and creative types. Then the kids ruined it. Then the less studious, the less artful and the less creative got onboard... which paved the way for the more unscrupulous to log on and take their money accordingly. Given all that, this is sanctuary. Thanks Pete. I mean that.
 
But I was disappointed to see that the “after reading, please comment here” thing disappeared after I agreed. So I’m commenting here.
It’s fine, this is the thread it was linking to.

I like the rules just fine. I strongly dislike the fact that they are necessary. I personally would be just fine with people hurling insults at each other and swearing like sailors online,
Me too. The only reason we don’t is that there would be very few members left and probably would not be viable for me to continue paying to have the forum.
I think the whole thing could be handled by a single simple rule - a golden one, actually. Though I prefer the street version - “Don’t be a …” - well, you know what I mean.
Again me too, but we’d be having too many complaints from people about subjective moderator actions. As it stands the tediously long wrong rules allow people to know why moderation actions took place.
 
Which post?
This one. I wanted to go back and read the last about identifying AI.
IMG_3818.webp
 
This one. I wanted to go back and read the last about identifying AI.
But that was just a link to the ai part of the rules anyway:


There isn't any way to keep the notice nagging you to read and accept the rules, once it has been ticked. It's an automatic process, tick that youve read the rules and the nag goes away.


On the Cafe Saxophone discussion forum (cafesaxophone.com), AI-generated posts and content are not automatically labeled by built-in system badges or AI detection algorithms. Instead, the community relies on clear disclosure policies, moderation, and technical bot controls to manage AI content:

  • Mandatory User Disclosure: According to the forum's terms and posting rules, users are required to explicitly disclose when a post, reply, or musical resource was created or assisted by AI (e.g., adding a clear header like "Post generated using ChatGPT" or "AI-generated backing track").
  • Bot and Spam Filtering: The forum uses automated anti-spam and scraper blocklists at the server level to prevent unauthorized AI bots, web scrapers, and automated spammers from posting generated content directly onto the boards.
  • Community Reporting & Moderation: If an unlabelled AI-generated post or spam reply is made, members use the forum's Report function (found at the bottom of the post) to alert moderators, who review and edit, tag, or remove the content.
If you suspect content on the forum is AI-generated, look for explicit text disclosures written by the original poster or moderator notes added to the thread.
 

Similar threads... or are they? Maybe not but they could be worth reading anyway 😀

Trending

Forum statistics

Topics
32,287
Messages
576,870
Members
8,093
Latest member
catct
Back
Top Bottom