support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Mouthpieces PPT Alto MP 6**

:)

I've been playing two years now, on a variety of alto saxophones and mouthpieces and just received the Onyxite PPT Alto MP in 6** (or 7M) tip opening for my birthday today.

ppt-alto-04.jpg
Typically, I started two years ago with the MP which came with my Jupiter 565-567, then a Yamaha 4C which was OK, then tried a Selmer C* which I didn't get on with, nor a Runyon 22 6, and latterly a Bari Esprit II which is very good for a beginner, keeping the notes in tune with its fairly narrow tip opening.
I also tried three D'Addario MPs in 5, 6, & 7 openings recently but none of them suited me.
The Bari was replaced a few months ago with a Yamaha 6CM with 1.9mm tip opening as this gave me a jazzier sound with my favourite Rico Jazz Select 2S filed reed. This combo sounded great on my newly acquired Yamaha YAS-62 MkI "Purple Logo" (which came with the 6CM) but not quite so good on my Buffet SDA which I'd played for around a year prior (I've been through a good few horns on my short sax journey!).

So today I put an RJS reed on the new PPT (her name is Poppet!) and tried this combo on the 62. A little worried by its wider 2.1mm tip, I took my first breath and played... WOW!!!!! Suddenly I'm a professional!!!!!!??
I switched back to the 6CM to check... had I really been happy with its sound? Yes, I guess... but now IT HAS TO GO IN THE BIN!!!

"Blown" away by my new sound, admittedly with a few "getting used to it" squeaks here and there, I thought I'd give it a go on the Buffet, having tried and tried with other mouthpiece/reed combinations to get a jazzy sound out of what is sometimes described as a more classical instrument.

Oh WOW even more!!! This MP has transformed my SDA into a 62 Purple Logo! In fact, it is absolutely perfectly controllable on this horn without a squeak or bum note. This IS the holy grail MP for my SDA!!

And LOUD! On both horns I could blow as hard as I can and the sound kept coming.

I tried some other reeds, around a dozen different ones, but the RJS 2S filed is the best so far for me. I think the squeaks on the Yamaha horn are down to the wider tip and should come good with a few more hours. Talking about hours... my mouth aches! I've been playing for three hours and didn't want to put this MP down! Don't panic though, it's an easy blow. I just spent too long testing it!

At £185 it's over ten times what I paid for the Bari but for me it represents excellent value, just for the fun I've had today, let alone the rest of my playing life!

Get one!!!!

:sax:

Last edited by a moderator:
You could also say I have been waiting for the last post!!!! Doh!

Sorry to open this thread again, but after reading DavidUK's review I'm tempted.
But like you, David, I would be leaving a Yamaha 6C which is comfortable and easy to control and would like to go for the 6** - but it is indeed a big jump from the Yamaha 6C.
I've read you had the same doubt and was pleasantly surprised.
But what should I expect? A fairly easy transformation from the the smaller tip opening of the Yamaha or some considerable harder embouchure work?

Last edited:
My 6CM is 1.9mm as is the 6C, but I'm not sure if there is any facing difference?

Anyhow, the PPT's 2.1mm gap isn't that much bigger and soon after writing my review all squeaking completely disappeared once I'd played it for a few more hours. I'm still using RJS 2S filed but find I get a little warbly on an off day so the Plasticover 2 comes to the rescue here being perhaps a little harder. You'll need to do your own experimenting with reeds starting with your current reed of choice. I'd say definitely go for one. Yes, yes YES!!

Has anyone tried a PPT with a vintage instrument. I'm tempted to try one of these but my York alto (Conn New Wonder) can be a bit pernickity about mouthpieces.

Have tried the PPT tenor mpc on a Martin tenor 1950's and it worked beautifully. However I tried several mpcs on my 1929 Martin Master but none of them were any good until I got a Rouseau......then the Martin came to life! Not had the chance to try a PPT for alto.

Yes Prof I use a tenor PPT on my Hanson and it works beautifully.
I'm using a Rousseau SJ6 and a Selmer S80 on the alto but would like to go PPT and support Pete, but if the little 'un doesn't like it......

It is a quandry! I will buy a PPT for alto later in the year because the PPT is my "go to" mpc for tenor. Although the Saxscape prototype that I have found is proving a heck of a piece of kit! I also use a metal Selmer on alto.

Give it a go Andrew as I would be keen to hear your review.

Yes my Saxscape is a winner too, but with the York, it's almost like your maiden aunt singing rugby songs.
I was hoping to find an upgrade for the Selmer which is good but not brilliant.

I may have to consider going the Lelandais route like @Colin the Bear but I've heard they can lead to disputes with the neighbours, or is that Leylandii?

Yes Prof I use a tenor PPT on my Hanson and it works beautifully.
I'm using a Rousseau SJ6 and a Selmer S80 on the alto but would like to go PPT and support Pete, but if the little 'un doesn't like it......
Pete did say if anyone bought an alto piece and didn't like it, as there was quite a demand they could be sold donation free in the yard sale :)

Jx

You've hit the nail on the head Jeanette. I can't bring myself to go through Lancashire.>:)
As a Yorkshire lass I do understand, but it isn't as bad as you fear, we have even persuaded Aldevis to brave the journey outside the M25, though admittedly he won't be going as far as Lancashire this time!

Jx

I'll bring my PPT6** to the Manchester workshop if anyone would like to try it out before buying one they are welcome, although it did take me a few days to adjust from my Ponzol. (No the Ponzol isn't for sale Targa)

I'll bring my PPT6** to the Manchester workshop if anyone would like to try it out before buying one they are welcome, although it did take me a few days to adjust from my Ponzol. (No the Ponzol isn't for sale Targa)
Which Ponzol is that and how would you say the PPT compared?

Which Ponzol is that and how would you say the PPT compared?
It's a Ponzol vintage 85 (faded no' so not 100% sure) I've been using it for the last +2yrs, it's a beauty. How would i compare to the PPT hmm, I'm not good at this kinda thing but the Ponzol has a warmer sound, the PPT seems a harder blow than the Ponzol (at the mo) but I've been using the same reeds as on the Ponzol (Vandoren jazz 2) I've just bought a couple of RicoJazz 2M to try with the PPT.
I have to admit i keep going back to the Ponzol, maybe I'm not ready for the PPT ! or i just love me on the Ponzol.

Thanks. I've got a Vintage 85 and have been wondering about the PPT.

Back
Top Bottom