All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Featured Reviews

M/Pieces - Ligs PPT Alto MP 6**

:)

I've been playing two years now, on a variety of alto saxophones and mouthpieces and just received the Onyxite PPT Alto MP in 6** (or 7M) tip opening for my birthday today.

ppt-alto-04.jpg
Typically, I started two years ago with the MP which came with my Jupiter 565-567, then a Yamaha 4C which was OK, then tried a Selmer C* which I didn't get on with, nor a Runyon 22 6, and latterly a Bari Esprit II which is very good for a beginner, keeping the notes in tune with its fairly narrow tip opening.
I also tried three D'Addario MPs in 5, 6, & 7 openings recently but none of them suited me.
The Bari was replaced a few months ago with a Yamaha 6CM with 1.9mm tip opening as this gave me a jazzier sound with my favourite Rico Jazz Select 2S filed reed. This combo sounded great on my newly acquired Yamaha YAS-62 MkI "Purple Logo" (which came with the 6CM) but not quite so good on my Buffet SDA which I'd played for around a year prior (I've been through a good few horns on my short sax journey!).

So today I put an RJS reed on the new PPT (her name is Poppet!) and tried this combo on the 62. A little worried by its wider 2.1mm tip, I took my first breath and played... WOW!!!!! Suddenly I'm a professional!!!!!!??
I switched back to the 6CM to check... had I really been happy with its sound? Yes, I guess... but now IT HAS TO GO IN THE BIN!!!

"Blown" away by my new sound, admittedly with a few "getting used to it" squeaks here and there, I thought I'd give it a go on the Buffet, having tried and tried with other mouthpiece/reed combinations to get a jazzy sound out of what is sometimes described as a more classical instrument.

Oh WOW even more!!! This MP has transformed my SDA into a 62 Purple Logo! In fact, it is absolutely perfectly controllable on this horn without a squeak or bum note. This IS the holy grail MP for my SDA!!

And LOUD! On both horns I could blow as hard as I can and the sound kept coming.

I tried some other reeds, around a dozen different ones, but the RJS 2S filed is the best so far for me. I think the squeaks on the Yamaha horn are down to the wider tip and should come good with a few more hours. Talking about hours... my mouth aches! I've been playing for three hours and didn't want to put this MP down! Don't panic though, it's an easy blow. I just spent too long testing it!

At £185 it's over ten times what I paid for the Bari but for me it represents excellent value, just for the fun I've had today, let alone the rest of my playing life!

Get one!!!!

:sax:

Last edited by a moderator:

trimmy

One day i will...
Waiting patiently for the New Year to arrive.....did i say patiently, i lied !!

Hope mine has the same effect David :)

DavidUK

More play time tonight. Another marathon!

Tried a couple more reeds on the PPT after Santa Baby was still sounding squeaky, unless I really concentrated, with the RJS 2S filed. This will no doubt come good in a few weeks. I can actually feel myself moulding my mouth to suit the PPT even after 6 hours so I know it will take a little while, but I'm not at all concerned.

Dug out a Plasticover 2 after a Fibracell Medium sounded naff. I'd tried the PC before on other MPs but always put it back. On the PPT however this is a great combination. Squeaks all but gone. A little shriller sound than the RJS but lovely all the same.

Also tried this on the Yam 6CM, and the RJS and both were dire. But I was playing this latter combo until yesterday! I CANNOT BELIEVE THE DIFFERENCE!!!! Like night and day! I'm gobsmacked with the transformation? The 6CM is, well, "yeuuukkkkkkk!"

After all these years of avoiding mouthpiece GAS, I guess I've struck lucky. Is there a better MP out there for me? Maybe, but at present I'm in love... with my Poppet. :)

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
With the tenor PPT you need to squeeze in from the sides. Not sure about alto, but you don't need to on sop or bari.

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
After all these years of avoiding mouthpiece GAS, I guess I've struck lucky. Is there a better MP out there for me? Maybe, but at present I'm in love... with my Poppet. :)

I have a feeling a whole new world is opening up to you ;)

Jx

DavidUK

Strange isn't it, when a MP/reed suits a sax so well? Such is the case with the SDA, PPT & RJS 2S filed. On the 62 I'm still suffering a little with low C and lower. This will come with time, but the SDA is almost perfect. On both horns I can hit high F from standstill every time. Also, the SDA can be played SO quietly with the PPT it's sublime! Perfect clear stable notes too. Lesson next Monday so I'll see what my tutor thinks...

Ads

Agreed, I`ve thought before from things you`ve said that the horn could do with a trip to Yamaha Expert Stephen Howard .

I found the Tenor PPT 8* Onyxite was weird though when it comes to horn matching , it loved the G1 Necked YTS-62 Mk2 but sounded cold and almost "Digital" on the YTS-61 whereas the Yani 9 HR is perfect , the 32 and an old crimson logo 62 I tried it on were over bright too with the PPT hence why I sold it to someone with a less aggressive horn (Big martin for his Selmer-alike Hanson) .

Ads

Connollys are probably the No1 Dent pullers in the UK but from experience (4 horns to date) they`re more "get it running" than "fine tune and regulation" where sax setup is concerned .

jazzdoh

Connollys are probably the No1 Dent pullers in the UK but from experience (4 horns to date) they`re more "get it running" than "fine tune and regulation" where sax setup is concerned .
You have to be joking,Charlie has over 40 years experience as a tech his son and Matt have 30 years between them,there is no one best at all aspects of sax repairs and setup than Connollys,I've been using them for 25 years and they are some the best in the country and not just at dent removal.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Just a comment -

Even the best guys sometimes miss something, and also sax pads aren't stable. Another issue is a minor knock/bad handling can introduce a leak.

Funny thing is that I've seen some repairers praised in the forum, but other customers have had problems with the same repairers. Some of it has been public, some private. So let's keep an open mind.

There are no absolutes here.

jazzdoh

Just a comment -

Even the best guys sometimes miss something, and also sax pads aren't stable. Another issue is a minor knock/bad handling can introduce a leak.

Funny thing is that I've seen some repairers praised in the forum, but other customers have had problems with the same repairers. Some of it has been public, some private. So let's keep an open mind.

There are no absolutes here.
Yes Kev your 100% right i was just responding to Ads comment about Connollys being dent removal techs who in his words where tech's for getting things up and running and not tech's for fine tuning,which is a statement that is simple untrue, and in my opinion not fair to put on a public forum.
Also we all know some mouthpieces can be better suited to some horns and not others,also that mouthpieces can take a a while to get used to and that applies to experienced players as well as beginners.
Yes if there is a leak issue David needs to take it back,but I'm sure that other mouthpieces he has would have presented this issue.

Top Bottom