All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

What should a beginner buy? Newbie advice needed please

Pete Effamy

Thanks everyone. Good advice

Has anyone had any experience with these?

thinking it could be a good alternative. Hire for £10-15 per month for a starter instrument then have the option to buy minus the money already spent or send instrument back.
Edit - replied to wrong message, below is an answer to saxes only.
Yes, a school I taught at 10-15 years ago had Jupiter’s, Elkhart’s and Yamahas. They were all very good, the first two excellent for their price. The mouthpieces weren’t great, but for £30 a Yamaha 4C is a good swap.
As said, in my teaching experience there has rarely been a student big enough for a tenor until their teens.

Pete Effamy

Does this look reasonable

We will be near the store early next week so I can pop in and have a look, although to be fair I wouldn't have a clue what to look for. Apparently they inspect all instruments before putting up for sale and their engjneer services them if need be.

Thanks for all your help, it's been great.
I went there years ago - it’s a proper sax shop in my opinion not just a shop selling saxes. If he’s saying that the sax is in full working order I think it’s a good buy.

jonf

The Jupiter JAS767 is a good sax. At £229 including a warranty I think it's a really good deal. I have also had some dealings with UKSaxHire as well, and found them good to deal with, but of the two options I'd go for the Jupiter. If I was in your position at the moment, buying a sax for one of my kids, I'd buy it, assuming it lives up to the advert.

OP
T

Tarad

The Jupiter JAS767 is a good sax. At £229 including a warranty I think it's a really good deal. I have also had some dealings with UKSaxHire as well, and found them good to deal with, but of the two options I'd go for the Jupiter. If I was in your position at the moment, buying a sax for one of my kids, I'd buy it, assuming it lives up to the advert.
Great. Thanks. That's really helpful. I will go in on Tuesday and see what I think.

JOESAX

Hi

My 10 year old daughter is really keen to start learning to play the saxophone. She currently has lessons on the clarinet at school and at the local music centre. Her clarinet teacher said he could do some saxophone lessons in place of her clarinet lessons to get her started then I would look into additional lessons.

Am I right in thinking that she would be best with the alto? I have asked the local council subsidised music centre if they have any saxophones to hire but it doesn't look like they do. It is her birthday in a couple of weeks so I am looking at buying her a second hand one but don't really want to spend more than around £200 is this totally unrealistic? I have been looking at the jupiter 567 - 565 or have also seen a trevor james the horn classic 2 that I might put an offer on. Do these sound OK? Is there anything that I should be avoiding?

Any advice for a young beginner would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Tara
Alto sax is the best for younger sax member you say you have looked at a trevor james there very good starting point also if you can get your hands on a selmer alto beginner sax would be good
Good luck all the best joe sax

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Subscriber
I've never been but @MandyH has I think. He's a bit of a character I believe...

Jx
He is indeed!
A pleasant man, with stories about great sax players he has worked with over the years.

and possibly a story about the sax (my sop, which I bought there, has a whole back story of its own, apparently!)

edit ... just saw the comments & possible mistaken ID ... I am also on about Allegro in Oxford (wrong place??)

Jazzaferri

I'm getting so excited about all this I might have to start learning myself. Does a 43 year old with no musical experience at all stand a chance?!
Depends on how you define chance. If you mean to have a lot of enjoyment and as an added bonus ward off mental decline with age absolutely. Always keep in the back of your mind that it is the journey that counts not where you end up.

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom