SYOS

What should a beginner buy? Newbie advice needed please

Tarad

Hi

My 10 year old daughter is really keen to start learning to play the saxophone. She currently has lessons on the clarinet at school and at the local music centre. Her clarinet teacher said he could do some saxophone lessons in place of her clarinet lessons to get her started then I would look into additional lessons.

Am I right in thinking that she would be best with the alto? I have asked the local council subsidised music centre if they have any saxophones to hire but it doesn't look like they do. It is her birthday in a couple of weeks so I am looking at buying her a second hand one but don't really want to spend more than around £200 is this totally unrealistic? I have been looking at the jupiter 567 - 565 or have also seen a trevor james the horn classic 2 that I might put an offer on. Do these sound OK? Is there anything that I should be avoiding?

Any advice for a young beginner would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Tara

GCinCT

Seeker of truth and beauty
Subscriber
Alto would definitely be the best saxophone for her to start with. A tenor would be too big a horn for a 10 year old to handle comfortably. As to the horns you are considering, I have no experience with them. I only know what I have read about them so I will let others who know them answer that question.

hedgehog

I love singletrack.
Subscriber
Likewise, I have no experience of those horns, but as to the individual horn, it would be a good idea to have an experienced player check them for playability. Nothing would discourage a beginner more than a faulty instrument. Perhaps her clarinet teacher could check them, or recommend someone who could.

OP
T

Tarad

Thanks. Her clarinet teacher plays the sax so could definitely help out there. There is also a very helpful man in the music centre that fixes up the rental instruments, I spoke to him the other day and he said he would be able to do a bit of a service of any second hand instrument we bought for a small fee.

jonf

Hi Tara, I've owned examples of both these saxes,. and if they're in good playing condition should be a good first sax. It would be best if you could get someone to look at a sax prior to handing over the cash as it is of key importance that it works properly. . It should be perfectly possible to get a good playing sax for £200. Also look out for an Elkhard Series II or a Sakkusu, particualry the model with the black key touches. All these saxes are decent quality Taiwanses student saxes. If someon offers you an Amoon, Slade (or Lade) or Bently smile politely and walk away.

Whatever you get, make sure she looks after it. Eventually one of two things will happen. She'll either get bored of it and give up or love it and want something better. If the sax is looked after you should get your money back when you sell it on.

OP
T

Tarad

Thanks everyone. Good advice

Has anyone had any experience with these?

thinking it could be a good alternative. Hire for £10-15 per month for a starter instrument then have the option to buy minus the money already spent or send instrument back.

OP
T

Tarad

I'm getting so excited about all this I might have to start learning myself. Does a 43 year old with no musical experience at all stand a chance?!

GCinCT

Seeker of truth and beauty
Subscriber
I'm getting so excited about all this I might have to start learning myself. Does a 43 year old with no musical experience at all stand a chance?!
Yes, a very good chance. Lots of people start the saxophone much older than you are. You should give it a shot. It's fun!

Ne0Wolf7

Hi tarad,

The Jean Paul saxophones are quite cheap even new ( 250 USD where I live) and are supposed to be excellent saxes. They are cheaper because they are made in Asia, but each sax is checked and play tested before leaving the factory. I've never use one but they are very well reputed.

Especially when buying a cheaper or vintage instrument for a beginner, be sure to get a decent mouthpiece and good reeds. I would reccomend a Yamaha 4C to start on with Vandoren Juno reeds. You could use rico orange box instead reeds, but I think the junos are better. Most absolute beginners will be comfortable on a 2 or 2.5 strength reed, but her teacher might suggest something harder based on how developed her clarinet playing is.

And yes, you could absolutely start learning.

Last edited:

Mark Hancock

Hi

My 10 year old daughter is really keen to start learning to play the saxophone. She currently has lessons on the clarinet at school and at the local music centre. Her clarinet teacher said he could do some saxophone lessons in place of her clarinet lessons to get her started then I would look into additional lessons.

Am I right in thinking that she would be best with the alto? I have asked the local council subsidised music centre if they have any saxophones to hire but it doesn't look like they do. It is her birthday in a couple of weeks so I am looking at buying her a second hand one but don't really want to spend more than around £200 is this totally unrealistic? I have been looking at the jupiter 567 - 565 or have also seen a trevor james the horn classic 2 that I might put an offer on. Do these sound OK? Is there anything that I should be avoiding?

Any advice for a young beginner would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Tara
Check out the YouTube channel "Bettersax". He has done some good reviews of affordable saxophones suitable for beginners. Even if you don't go for one of the models he reviews, you will understand a bit more about what to look out for.

OP
T

Tarad

Does this look reasonable

We will be near the store early next week so I can pop in and have a look, although to be fair I wouldn't have a clue what to look for. Apparently they inspect all instruments before putting up for sale and their engjneer services them if need be.

Thanks for all your help, it's been great.

Top Bottom