All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

M/Pieces - Ligs Mouthpiece Size

Nikki

Formerly SaxyNikki
Subscriber
Locality
Canada
What I was more leaning towards is that if there’s a general standard size for each type of saxophone neck as well as a standard size for the cork, then one would think it would be fairly easy to get a good mouthpiece fit, thereby making mouthpieces standardized. Maybe I expect too much.

randulo

Playing alto 2 1/2 years
Subscriber
Locality
France
I have 6 mouthpieces that are worth playing. One of them doesn't give a seal, it wobbles when not quite as far as it should be up the cork, but even when at the proper place it leaks and requires plumbers' tape to be airtight.

This is inadmissible for several reasons, the immediate one is, you shouldn't have to mess around every time you put on a mouthpiece. Maybe I g-can get the mpc bore adjusted. I should look into it. But what I wanted to say was that, on a recork job, the tech told me to bring in all the mouthpieces I'd be using. They do this to get the cork so some are tight, others less so, but they all fit. I didn't have the loose one at that time. In fact I only had two, and that was my old YAS-23 that rests in the case now waiting for full pad replacement some day.

I think I'll start a new post about how to adjust the mouthpiece for the cork. There may be suggestions from the techs and I think one of you did it already.

Nikki

Formerly SaxyNikki
Subscriber
Locality
Canada
I have 6 mouthpieces that are worth playing. One of them doesn't give a seal, it wobbles when not quite as far as it should be up the cork, but even when at the proper place it leaks and requires plumbers' tape to be airtight.

This is inadmissible for several reasons, the immediate one is, you shouldn't have to mess around every time you put on a mouthpiece. Maybe I g-can get the mpc bore adjusted. I should look into it. But what I wanted to say was that, on a recork job, the tech told me to bring in all the mouthpieces I'd be using. They do this to get the cork so some are tight, others less so, but they all fit. I didn't have the loose one at that time. In fact I only had two, and that was my old YAS-23 that rests in the case now waiting for full pad replacement some day.

I think I'll start a new post about how to adjust the mouthpiece for the cork. There may be suggestions from the techs and I think one of you did it already.
This is a prime example of what I was talking about. If mouthpieces aren’t made to any standard size, then you could have one that doesn’t fit while all the rest do and we don’t all have the patience to modify our mouthpieces to fit each time we go to play it. To me, I find it unacceptable. I’m glad you found a solution to yours though. A disposable wine pourer I would never have imagined working though. That’s a great idea by nigeld.
50pcs/set Foldable Wine Pourer Aluminum Foil Silver Disk Spout Party Bar Tools d | eBay

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Subscriber
Locality
Bristol, UK
What I was more leaning towards is that if there’s a general standard size for each type of saxophone neck as well as a standard size for the cork, then one would think it would be fairly easy to get a good mouthpiece fit, thereby making mouthpieces standardized. Maybe I expect too much.
Yes - Unfortunately you are expecting too much. As far as I know, there is no standard size.
I find it extremely irritating that mouthpiece bore is not standardised, but unfortunately it isn't.
What is remarkable is that most of the time this is not a problem. Cork is wonderful stuff!

In my experience bari sax mouthpieces are the worst.

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
It's very easy to ream out the shank of a mouthpiece to the size you want. Pick the biggest mouthpiece and ream the rest to that size. Simples.

randulo

Playing alto 2 1/2 years
Subscriber
Locality
France
It's very easy to ream out the shank of a mouthpiece to the size you want. Pick the biggest mouthpiece and ream the rest to that size. Simples.
Except if you resell the bored ones, it may not be good for the next punter. Best not to modify if you're not sure it's for life.

Nikki

Formerly SaxyNikki
Subscriber
Locality
Canada
Yes - Unfortunately you are expecting too much. As far as I know, there is no standard size.
I find it extremely irritating that mouthpiece bore is not standardised, but unfortunately it isn't.
What is remarkable is that most of the time this is not a problem. Cork is wonderful stuff!

In my experience bari sax mouthpieces are the worst.
So if I research all the mouthpieces, pick one out that I like, spend hundreds of dollars on it ...... only to discover it doesn’t fit, is considered expecting too much?

Personally I think that’s crazy. If I’m ever going to purchase a mouthpiece then I’ll go to the biggest music store in the world, pick one out and take my saxophone with me to make sure it fits before I leave.

randulo

Playing alto 2 1/2 years
Subscriber
Locality
France
If you have six...how will you know?;)
I have six wives and intend to keep them all. By the way, I only play three of the six mouthpieces and each is significantly different.
The other three are my very first Selmer, the 4C that came with the sax and a Vandoren that I never play, but might some day.

OP
EddieMichael

EddieMichael

Locality
Portland
Do report back with your impressions !
On day 2 of a trial of Jody Jazz DV 8*. The sizing is definitely something I could get used to and the intonation is way better than what I experienced on the Super Jet 10*. Perhaps my tuning would have improved on a 10* with lots of practice but my gut told me it wasn't the piece for me so I sent it back.

It seems like the Jody Jazz DV does accomplish some of the things it sets out to do. It's bright without being too shrill, strong projection, really easy to start notes even all the way at the bottom of the horn with the right reed. The amount of altissimo I can play is pretty easily accessible (usually most notes chromatically except G is a work in progress) .

Low notes are hard for me to play at softer dynamics. (Is that me the player, the tip size, or the mouthpiece? I don't know.)

I still consider myself a beginner so this is just my initial impression.

I still love my Otto Link STM 7* but starting notes above palm D is not consistent and my teacher told me Link's don't have a great reputation for that. It's simply not letting me do what I need to do in the high range consistently. Learning altissimo on that piece has been a ball buster. But I love it's tone and feel, out of the few tenor mouthpieces I've gotten to try it's still my fav despite it's weaknesses in the range above palm D. For the purpose of learning my altissimo range and cutting through the mix in a loud band, I'm looking for something that will be a good fit as a rock n' roll mouthpiece, and that's what started this whole search.

The Jody Jazz DV definitely has it's strong points. Maybe after a few more days I could decide I gotta keep it, but I've played so few mouthpieces for tenor I think the best thing is to just keep trying stuff out.

I have a Dukoff D9 coming in the mail tomorrow morning.

OP
EddieMichael

EddieMichael

Locality
Portland
More ideas of mouthpieces to try please!

Just to clarify, my teacher never insisted that I must play on a 10*, he just wanted me to try it, and has encouraged me to try as many mouthpieces as I possibly can, and to go with my gut. Although he did specifically also want me to try a Dukoff D in the biggest size available, he thinks I would love it but also emphasized to send it back if I don't. No stores in my area carry it so the only way was to ask the store I ordered from if I could try it and return if it doesn't work out. They gave me a two week trial period for the Dukoff.

The main thing my teacher wants is for me to have really strong, down and dirty projection, and solid command of the altissimo range, since I told him I wanted to be a rock player. I think he would love for me to be able to play on a wide tip opening for very specific reasons, but for me bad intonation is a deal breaker obviously. I'm still searching for what checks all or most of the boxes while being able to work on the stuff he is giving me.

thomsax

Locality
Sweden
Low notes are hard for me to play at softer dynamics.
Same for me. I think that's the price you have to pay for wide openings, baffle and maybe hard reeds.

I know a player that is on Otto Link STM and he sounds great. He played with Delbert McClinton Band, Ray Charles, Bonnie Riatt ....... R&B, Blues ... The last sample is Don Wise. First one Red Prysock second Gene Barge
View: https://youtu.be/jsJF2Arua7w

Pete Effamy

Locality
Hampshire
This is a prime example of what I was talking about. If mouthpieces aren’t made to any standard size, then you could have one that doesn’t fit while all the rest do and we don’t all have the patience to modify our mouthpieces to fit each time we go to play it. To me, I find it unacceptable. I’m glad you found a solution to yours though. A disposable wine pourer I would never have imagined working though. That’s a great idea by nigeld.
50pcs/set Foldable Wine Pourer Aluminum Foil Silver Disk Spout Party Bar Tools d | eBay
It is annoying, I've tried mouthpieces occasionally in a shop where they were not going on the crook unless I stripped off all the cork! However, to think that there wound be manufacturing standard measurements for mouthpieces, horns, parts etc doesn't make sense when you think about the process of R & D and innovation.

Nikki

Formerly SaxyNikki
Subscriber
Locality
Canada
It is annoying, I've tried mouthpieces occasionally in a shop where they were not going on the crook unless I stripped off all the cork! However, to think that there wound be manufacturing standard measurements for mouthpieces, horns, parts etc doesn't make sense when you think about the process of R & D and innovation.
Yes you’re right. My opinion was wrong.

OP
EddieMichael

EddieMichael

Locality
Portland
I wanted to add that I got a Dukoff D9 in the mail today.. The intonation is great. I think this size is around .125, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Both of the Jody Jazz pieces I've tried are brighter and would cut through the mix probably best.... But I think the Dukoff may be more consistent across the range. Who knows.. Maybe Jody Jazz is for pro players. Idk. The tone CAN be amazing, but also can be a little slippery. They advertise unbelievable altissimo response. True? Maybe. I can play most of the range except G. I feel like for the Jody Jazz DV's asking price of $600 it should simply be the knocking my socks off on all accounts, again correct me if you disagree! (I paid $479 for an open box on trial). The Superjet 10* I originally posted about runs $400 new.. I had tried a $250 open box deal but the intonation was awful.. For me. And that could have been my embouchure.. But the D9 is giving my chops a healthy workout and it sounds in tune to me.

I'm hoping the Dukoff can also be pushed for more punching power once I get used to it. If I can get to the point of popping that altissimo G I think we will have a winner. Also.. 9 is a great size for fluttertongue!

randulo

Playing alto 2 1/2 years
Subscriber
Locality
France
when you think about the process of R & D and innovation.
This is a job for Syos! They should get a database of sax neck cork diameters and make their products a perfect. Until you change instruments, that is :)

thomsax

Locality
Sweden
Just to clarify, my teacher never insisted that I must play on a 10*, he just wanted me to try it, and has encouraged me to try as many mouthpieces as I possibly can, and to go with my gut.
An openminded teacher, is a good teacher. :thumb:

The main thing my teacher wants is for me to have really strong, down and dirty projection, and solid command of the altissimo range, since I told him I wanted to be a rock player.
"Låter som ljuv musik i mina öron" (something like "sounds delightful to my ears")

Dukoff mouthpieces are good. And I would say Dukoffs are more a pro choice than JJ. Many good rocksax players been on Dukoff's. David, Sandborn, David Woodford, Kenny G, Gerald Albright, Boots Randolph (custom), Marc Russo ...... .

A player I listen to a lot is Jimmy Carpenter. He ws on a JJ DV before and no he is on a Lawton. I don't kow what models/chambers. Sax Gordon was on Link before now he is on SYOS. Andrew Clark was on a Dukoff D8 and are nowadys playing a Peter Ponzol ...... we all change/replace mouthpieces. The mouthpiece is just helping you .....

I would like to hear more ....

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom
test6