All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

M/Pieces - Ligs Mouthpiece Size

EddieMichael

Locality
Portland
Hi everyone,

New member here, I'm in the process of selecting a new mouthpiece. My teacher recommended I get a mouthpiece with a step bafflr and in a 10* size for rock music, more powerful sound and altissimo.

I tried a Jody Jazz Superjet in size 10* and while the altissimo response is awesome, I'm having a really hard time with intonation on this piece everywhere I place it on the cork. I tried a Jody Jazz DV tenor in size 8* today and liked it much better! There are some deals online, both in size 8* and in size 10*.

My teacher likes 10* but there's no way for me to try this piece in that size without buying it first. The size is not a problem for me unless I have trouble staying in tune, that's a deal breaker for me.

Any players have you experienced intonation problems on a wider tip size mouthpiece?

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX
Locality
New Mexico, US
OK well more info needed here:

1) how long have you been playing ?

2) what is the tip size of the mouthpiece(s) you currently use ?

Looking at the Theo Wanne chart for Tenor pieces.....a Jody Jazz 9* = .125 opening....

o_O

that's a massive tip opening...not sure I wanna know what a 10* would be. :confused:

The difference between the 8* and the 9* alone is .115 to .125....if we extrapolate, the 10* would be well over a .130 tip. That's a pretty darn BIG jump from the comfy 8* which you say works well for you.

Off top of my head, a 10* sounds too big for you (unless, again, you have typically played 'pieces with a .120+ opening)

If you like the DV 8*....and it gives you nice altissimo and more 'punch'..why not just buy THAT one instead ????

Last edited:
OP
EddieMichael

EddieMichael

Locality
Portland
Thanks Jaye,

I've been playing for about 4 years but tenor for a little over one year. Started on alto but switched to primarily tenor in spring of 2019.

The mouthpiece I've been using since I bought my tenor horn is a 7*.

My gut tells me your conclusion is probably the same as mine.

OP
EddieMichael

EddieMichael

Locality
Portland
OK well more info needed here:

1) how long have you been playing ?

2) what is the tip size of the mouthpiece(s) you currently use ?

Looking at the Theo Wanne chart for Tenor pieces.....a Jody Jazz 9* = .125 opening....

o_O

that's a massive tip opening...not sure I wanna know what a 10* would be. :confused:

The difference between the 8* and the 9* alone is .115 to .125....if we extrapolate, the 10* would be well over a .130 tip. That's a pretty darn BIG jump from the comfy 8* which you say works well for you.

Off top of my head, a 10* sounds too big for you (unless, again, you have typically played 'pieces with a .120+ opening)

If you like the DV 8*....and it gives you nice altissimo and more 'punch'..why not just buy THAT one instead ????
Just out of curiosity - when you say the 10* size could be too big for me, which I agree with you on, do you think that factor could be contributing to my intonation issue?

Alexandra

Subscriber
Locality
London, Greater London
@EddieMichael Hi Eddie. When you say "intonation" are you referring specifically to tuning issues? A 10* is HUGE and I think that's your issue right there. Go smaller! That said...

I had serious problems with a JJ HR* on my Yany AWO10 alto. The MP was pushed so far on the cork with nowhere left to go and still the tuning was off.

I emailed JJ (friendly & helpful) and they confirmed I had the latest model (I sent detailed pictures and measurements). It's a great piece but I can't use it anymore, it required too much work to play in tune.

I agree with posters on the other forum who suggest some sort of database that lists potential incompatibility between specific sax and mouthpiece combos. Maybe one exists!

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX
Locality
New Mexico, US
Just out of curiosity - when you say the 10* size could be too big for me, which I agree with you on, do you think that factor could be contributing to my intonation issue?
I think a Jody 10* is an uncontrollable tip opening for probably 80% of sax players, if not more...so when any player doesn't have the ability to make the mouthpiece do what they want it to do, intonation can certainly be one of the resultant problems.

In some cases it'd be fair to say, when moving up in tip opening size "just work with it for a while and it will become controllable". But unless, as I said earlier, you are currently playing like a .120 tip....the 10* is still gonna be too big a leap....

Your 7*, depending on mfr, is probably sitting at around .095-.105, depending on who made it.

A .020 jump is a HUGE jump to make in tip for ANY player....so a .030 jump is arguably 'out of range' .....

It surprises me a bit that a sax teacher of a Tenorist who has been on Tenor for only a year (even though you played Alto before it) would suggest a .130 tip mouthpiece....

randulo

Playing alto 2 1/2 years
Subscriber
Locality
France
I didn't even know they went to 10! To me, 7 is big. But the truth is, the mouthpiece is the most misunderstood element in wind instrument playing, AIR*? There are baffles, tip openings, and all kinds of messy stuff that are dripping the mysteries created by manufacturers. What mysteries? Well, what is this numbering system, 5, 6, 7...? They do not correspond between the makers. Tip openings are given in inches/1000 and millimetres to add to the pleasure.

* "Am I right?"

saxyjt

I have saxophone withdrawal symptoms
Subscriber
Locality
France
My teacher recommended I get a mouthpiece with a step bafflr and in a 10* size for rock music, more powerful sound and altissimo.
I tend to find it quite irresponsible for a teacher to recommend such an extreme tip size. I can understand the want for a screaming piece, but it still needs to be controllable. Tips above 8 are extreme and probably out of reach until you are a very experienced player.

just saxes

Commercial Supporter
Locality
Santa Cruz, CA
I don't know the tip opening for that make/model in that marked sizing, but IMO anything much over .105 for a tenor (usually a 7* for most makes/models) is probably too big for a beginner. But for jazz, IMO, 7*/.105 is usually probably OK. My own first teacher started me (tenor) on a 7*.

How much the beginner is going to practice and play is a big factor. 7* would probably be too big for a beginner that isn't dedicated (sounds like OP is dedicated). When I first started playing, I played the mouthpiece in the car, long tones and overtones for at least 1 hour every day, and was OK with 7*.

You just don't want a piece that is going to result in bad habits like constantly biting to effectively reduce the size of your tip opening. If the piece is a .105, but you're constantly biting, it's like playing a smaller opening, and the biting will become a habit that holds you back.

OP
EddieMichael

EddieMichael

Locality
Portland
Thanks everyone for your input. I actually tried ordering 2 of the JJ DV Tenor pieces in size 8* and 10* to try both and return the one I don't go with, but the 10* order got cancelled... So I guess that settles that. 8* it is.

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX
Locality
New Mexico, US
Mouthpieces can be compared to shoes. You need a good fit. Choose the size that fits. Big shoes don't help. The right size for you is what matters. Numbers are for comparison not status.
I can understand the want for a screaming piece, but it still needs to be controllable.
I have to say that 10* sounds outrageously extreme!
Yes and Yes ^^^^ and Yes....

I guess the thing I do not get is:

OK, so I, too, understand wanting to go to a wider tip, with a different baffle, maybe different facing, etc to get a different sorta tonal and blowing dynamic.

But it becomes sorta hard to wrap my head around WHAT, exactly, such an extremely open tip would be GAINING you.

I mean, if one is coming from a .100 tip, it is reasonable to make a suggestion for going to a .115 or so...but it'd be hard to make the argument that eschewing a +/- .115 in favor of a .130...GETS one anything "more", IMHO....

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX
Locality
New Mexico, US
Thanks everyone for your input. I actually tried ordering 2 of the JJ DV Tenor pieces in size 8* and 10* to try both and return the one I don't go with, but the 10* order got cancelled... So I guess that settles that. 8* it is.
Do report back with your impressions !

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
Just to be Devil's advocate, I was pleasantly surprised with a metalite M11 clarinet piece. So to be fair, it's always best to give a piece a try before rejecting it.

Having said that, I had been looking for decades for my sound on clarinet and would have tried anything to get rid of the squeak and poor tone.

thomsax

Locality
Sweden
I don't know what to say!?!?! I like openminded teachers. I'm on a Rovner Deep-V D 40 (0.130" tip opening and with rather high baffle). From the first day I started to play/blow I've been on big opening. Never a medium mouthpiece and reed guy. We are all differnt. So why not try a big mouthpiece.

I have Rovners mpc's from #8-10. I prefer the big open sound I get from a big mouthpiece. Even if I have to work hard to be able to get that sound. I play # 4 lasticcover reeds. When I'm the only hornplayer I use bartione reeds as well.

Insane says most saxplayers. Perfect says the guitar players and drummers, we hear you. I think it's good and fun that we have different types of players. So give it a try. Good luck.

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom
test6