Supporting   special needs music

Beginner Learning when there's no teacher...

saxnik

Locality
Poole, Dorset, United Kingdom
Does anyone have a suggestion for a beginners book which also has a accompaniment for guitar/ base guitar and maybe drums

I think your 'Tune a Day' book should have chord symbols in concert pitch on most of the tunes - if your guitarist types can read them that should help...

Alternatively try Raphael Ravenscroft's book ('the Complete Saxophone Player') - think that has chords in too.

As for sax teachers - it seems I'm now available by Skype!
Most teachers like regular income (as do we all) but some, like myself, don't mind slightly haphazard lesson schedules. In my case I have to book them around gigging, so I'm just as likely as anyone to not manage a regular slot very easily.

Hope this has helped,

Nick

Last edited by a moderator:
Locality
Isle of Skye
[Hard to imagine anywhere so deprived that the nearest sax-teacher is 90 minutes drive away]

Try two and a half hours away. I live in the Isle of Skye and the nearest one is in Inverness 115 miles away. Add the cost of diesel at £1.23 a litre makes an expensive lesson.

Still can't get the hang of this quote thing.

thomsax

Locality
Sweden
I had a friend in Boston who runs a musicschool. He have been talking about doing lessions/instructions over Skype. A DVD camera, good microphone (like Röde NT 2) and a headset .... and a (A)DSL or better connection should work. I think Tim Price is doing lessions over Skype.

Thomas

tenorsaxman

Locality
I live on a catamaran currently splitting my time
I live in Cornwall and am having skype lessons with saxnik in Lichfield approx 170 miles! I'm sure he could manage another pupil. You could also use smartmusic which is helpful for self teaching and at only $30 dollars a year, its a steal. On the skype thing, I use a laptop with the built in speaker and camera and that seems to work ok.

Last edited by a moderator: