Hi, and many thanks to any members who respond!
My question is whether I should give my Tenor Sax a complete overhaul (very probably!) and if so, whether I should look for a sax repairer who has specific knowledge, skills and reputation of overhauling 'vintage saxophones'.
TBH, I've asked questions on this topic to 'Google AI' and I've got some valuable responses. For example, the difference between 'regular sax maintenance' and 'complete overhauls'. Down to which local 'repairers' would be best qualified to overhaul my specific sax and the questions that I should ask them beforehand! All based on my specific Tenor sax model and year. Another 'Google AI' conclusion was that - on average - periodic 'minor sax maintenance' should be done every 1-2 years. And a 'major overhaul' might be needed every 5-10 years. My sax has had neither in 20 years!
So what I would like from experienced. informed and human sax repairers are their opinions on the answers that I got from Google AI based on the 'background 'below.
Background
I bought my 1961 'Buffet Crampon Super Dynaction' Tenor Sax about 20 years ago. At that time, it had been thoroughly 'checked out' and played easily in comparison to other 'vintage saxes' that I tried out. In the 20 years since, I've had a few minor 'playing problems' quickly inspected and fixed' by my local 'clarinet/sax' lady. Usually free of charge. But in these 20 years, my sax has never had 'periodic maintenance' or 'overhauls'
Lately (for the past 6 months or more), I've been really struggling to play my sax. With certain notes (G/G# in the higher octave) 'squeaking'. In my local sax lady's opinion (within 5 minutes) she said that the 2 octave keys worked fine mechanically. So that any 'squeaks' were probably due to my 'embouchure'. Which hasn't changed in many years.
A new Tenor Sax player recently joined my Big Band. He had sax that looked to me 'unusual'. I asked him what it what it was and said it was a John Packer JP042 Bb Tenor. He explained that it was a 'temporary sax' while he was getting his Yamaha 'restored'. He added that he wasn't yet sure which one he'd stick with. With his permission I briefly tried out his sax with my mpc and reed. TBH the 'playability' of his (new) sax with mine was a huge difference between day (his) and night (mine)!
Yes I fully realize that the 'ergonomics' of saxes has moved on significantly between 1961 and the first mention of the John Packer JP042 on the cafe in 2011.
I 'Googled (AI)' my problem and it's advice (with recommendations) was to have my Tenor Sax refurbished (overhauled) by someone who has the 'credibility' of restoring 'vintage' (1961) saxes.
My question is whether I should give my Tenor Sax a complete overhaul (very probably!) and if so, whether I should look for a sax repairer who has specific knowledge, skills and reputation of overhauling 'vintage saxophones'.
TBH, I've asked questions on this topic to 'Google AI' and I've got some valuable responses. For example, the difference between 'regular sax maintenance' and 'complete overhauls'. Down to which local 'repairers' would be best qualified to overhaul my specific sax and the questions that I should ask them beforehand! All based on my specific Tenor sax model and year. Another 'Google AI' conclusion was that - on average - periodic 'minor sax maintenance' should be done every 1-2 years. And a 'major overhaul' might be needed every 5-10 years. My sax has had neither in 20 years!
So what I would like from experienced. informed and human sax repairers are their opinions on the answers that I got from Google AI based on the 'background 'below.
Background
I bought my 1961 'Buffet Crampon Super Dynaction' Tenor Sax about 20 years ago. At that time, it had been thoroughly 'checked out' and played easily in comparison to other 'vintage saxes' that I tried out. In the 20 years since, I've had a few minor 'playing problems' quickly inspected and fixed' by my local 'clarinet/sax' lady. Usually free of charge. But in these 20 years, my sax has never had 'periodic maintenance' or 'overhauls'
Lately (for the past 6 months or more), I've been really struggling to play my sax. With certain notes (G/G# in the higher octave) 'squeaking'. In my local sax lady's opinion (within 5 minutes) she said that the 2 octave keys worked fine mechanically. So that any 'squeaks' were probably due to my 'embouchure'. Which hasn't changed in many years.
A new Tenor Sax player recently joined my Big Band. He had sax that looked to me 'unusual'. I asked him what it what it was and said it was a John Packer JP042 Bb Tenor. He explained that it was a 'temporary sax' while he was getting his Yamaha 'restored'. He added that he wasn't yet sure which one he'd stick with. With his permission I briefly tried out his sax with my mpc and reed. TBH the 'playability' of his (new) sax with mine was a huge difference between day (his) and night (mine)!
Yes I fully realize that the 'ergonomics' of saxes has moved on significantly between 1961 and the first mention of the John Packer JP042 on the cafe in 2011.
I 'Googled (AI)' my problem and it's advice (with recommendations) was to have my Tenor Sax refurbished (overhauled) by someone who has the 'credibility' of restoring 'vintage' (1961) saxes.
