Check the saxophones you own

• Tenor

• Alto

• Soprano

• Baritone

• Bass

• Sopranino

• C-Melody

• Saxophone not above (like EMI or rare)

Results are only viewable after voting.
So nearly 9 out of 10 voters have at least one tenor and 9/10 have at least one alto. No surprise there! In fact, I put the top four in the order I expected. For the two who have bass saxophones, what do you do with them? Any recordings?

I had a Selmer MkVI sopranino and a Selmer MkVI bass as well. I sold bot h of them. I sounded terrible on the sopranino and the bass was really beaten up. I had to put in a lot of money to make it a good player.

So these are saxinettes or clariphones of sorts?

Again, amazing what we learn here. I had no idea these existed! o_O
'Saxinettes'.... c'est troooop mignon ! (soooo cute !)

Ok these tarogatos (tarogati ?) sounded nice, but my guess is that if you're Scott Robinson many woodwind instruments sound nice...

And it looks like the chase between tenor and alto have come to a tie. From there anything goes... rien ne va plus !

So these are saxinettes or clariphones of sorts?

Again, amazing what we learn here. I had no idea these existed! o_O

No, they are not related to clarinets. They overblow at the octave and the bore is similar to saxophones in size and taper. The main difference is that the tone holes are smaller than in the corresponding saxophone.

I just found a picture of myself playing with Scott Robinson in the International TárogatóEnsemble 2015.

img_7879.jpg

No, they are not related to clarinets. They overblow at the octave and the bore is similar to saxophones in size and taper. The main difference is that the tone holes are smaller than in the corresponding saxophone.

Sorry, maybe hophone or saxboe would be more appropriate, but they don't sound so good.

Now, I still find the likeness to clarinets rather striking, even if the genealogy says otherwise.

Hmm, no bis Bb, no front F ... not too sure about the RH pinky keys, either... doesn't look awfully practical to me!
True enough ... but it is pushing a century old, and whatever else it might be, it's certainly intriguing.
And the fact that it's high pitch is probably the most impractical thing about it.

I don't have one of these in my collection but wish that I did. It is a very old (c 1890) Buffet Crampon soprano saxophone made of wood ! The picture was on an advertisement for a book about the history of Buffet Crampon and I scanned this image.

BC Wooden Soprano.JPG

Rhys

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom