Check the saxophones you own

• Tenor

• Alto

• Soprano

• Baritone

• Bass

• Sopranino

• C-Melody

• Saxophone not above (like EMI or rare)

Results are only viewable after voting.
If only a few more folk would own up to having C-mels, we would have close to a normal distribution, with a standard deviation of about 3 1/2 tones.

1574971068432.png

The C-soprano is between soprano and sopranino I think.
I seem to remember that @Nick Wyver once played an SOTM on one, and I bet @rhysonsax has one (or more) too.

I do have (just) one. It's a modern Eppelsheim & Reese and it plays pretty well with a Pillinger mouthpiece for C soprano. It's OK but no so well in tune with some Bb soprano mouthpieces.

And my sopranino is a curvie made by Orsi and reviewed (quite harshly) by @Stephen Howard here: Orsi sopranino saxophone review

Rhys

PS I've got Pillinger mouthpieces for every size of saxophone from 'nino down to bass and they're great ! Maybe that is for another thread though.

Last edited:
I do. It's a modern Eppelsheim & Reese and it plays pretty well with a Pillinger mouthpiece for C soprano. It's OK but no so well in tune with some Bb soprano mouthpieces.

And my sopranino is a curvie made by Orsi and reviewed (quite harshly) by @Stephen Howard here: Orsi sopranino saxophone review

Rhys

I particularly enjoyed his comment about the tone:
“Well, I like to think I'm broad-minded - almost every horn has something virtuous tonewise even if it's not to your personal taste, but I couldn't get away from feeling that what this horn lacked was not so much a tone but rather a red nose and a unicycle.”

Clearly you need another sopranino for Christmas. ;)

I have heard someone play a silver Yani that sounded very good, and looked very sparkly.

I particularly enjoyed his comment about the tone:
“Well, I like to think I'm broad-minded - almost every horn has something virtuous tonewise even if it's not to your personal taste, but I couldn't get away from feeling that what this horn lacked was not so much a tone but rather a red nose and a unicycle.”

Clearly you need another sopranino for Christmas. ;)

I have heard someone play a silver Yani that sounded very good, and looked very sparkly.

How very kind of you. It should be easy to wrap ...

Rhys

The C-soprano is between soprano and sopranino I think.
I seem to remember that @Nick Wyver once played an SOTM on one, and I bet @rhysonsax has one (or more) too.
Yes, I did, didn't I? It's a Chinese Aquilasax Celeste ii. Stephen Howard was given it to review, which he did and then sold it to me after tinkering with it a bit. Tuning's a bit iffy but livable with. It came with a couple of mouthpieces but I usually play it with a Brancher metal J17.

I own a Buescher TT C-soprano keyed to high E. The first sax that I bought from Paul Cohen, ("Vintage saxophone Revisted", Saxophone Journal,). Manufactored on September 10, 1923 and Buescher made approximately 500 C-sopranos before the stopped the production in the the 20's. The late C-sopranos are keyed to high F, so they made improvments on the the c-saxes to the bitter end. Paul Cohen gave me many tips to improve the intonation. I played a Bb soprano mpc from the 20's instead of the original mpc. My C-soprano and my C-Medody/Tenor is on a longterm loan to a guy who is into folk music. They sounds much better in his hands than in mine.

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom