Check the saxophones you own

• Tenor

• Alto

• Soprano

• Baritone

• Bass

• Sopranino

• C-Melody

• Saxophone not above (like EMI or rare)

Results are only viewable after voting.
I guess it's time to reconsider the material saxophones are made of. I can't believe we haven't seen any carbon fiber or other composite material made horns on the market yet. Is there a good reason?

Isn’t the Tarogato known as a Hungarian clarinet? I know that it’s a conical bore though the fingerings look a bit out there when I’ve watched a few vids. Overblown at the octave though you say? Dino Soldo makes it sound like a soprano sax..

Isn’t the Tarogato known as a Hungarian clarinet? I know that it’s a conical bore though the fingerings look a bit out there when I’ve watched a few vids. Overblown at the octave though you say? Dino Soldo makes it sound like a soprano sax..

I can't say I've ever heard it called a Hungarian clarinet. The only clarinet like thing is the fingering system, which is derived from a German clarinet, but it's unrelated acoustically. So: xxx x0x for F and xxx x00 for F#. It also has 2 octave keys and a right hand thumb key for low Bb.

The new Hungarian makers now make tarogatos with automatic octave mechanisms and "Boehm system" tarogatos with F/F# like a saxophone.

Of 60 respondents, Alto rules!

I'm actualy surprised that there is such a small edge by numbers. I would expect more members are alto players/owners than is represented here.

Now, saying alto rules may be slightly stretching the facts. Tenors are bigger, so 2 altos won't really tip the balance, IMHO. ;)

Bb rules! :confused: By numbers. Hmm, by weight, I'm not so sure...

I'm actualy surprised that there is such a small edge by numbers. I would expect more members are alto players/owners than is represented here.

Members of a speciality interest saxophone forum are quite likely to own more than one saxophone and probably the first two in a collection are likely to be alto and tenor.

This survey showing slightly more altos can be interpreted as showing that slightly more of the respondents (claim to) have an alto but no tenor than claim to have a tenor but no alto.

I don't find that surprising.

Rhys

PS A mathematician or logician could probably write a nice equation for this and a statistician could interpret it all for us.

Back
Top Bottom