support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Mouthpieces Hunting mouthpieces

TimboSax

Deputy junior apprentice 2nd class
Café Supporter
Locality
Cambridgeshire
Couldn't help myself and bought a new alto a couple of weeks ago, so earlier this week I took it down to WWR in Cambridge (great shop) to see if I could find a mouthpiece that would make me sound awesome.

Unfortunately, such a mouthpiece has yet to be invented, but I did try out a few types and came away with a definite favourite:

IMG_20130403_174053-001.jpg

While they all sounded different, they also felt different, responding differently to my blowing, some more squeaky for me than others, some with different approaches to intonation than others...a couple of bright ones, some darker ones...

Well, there was one that I kept coming back to, and it wasn't one that I had considered (or even really heard of), but in the end it really was an obvious choice for me, on my horn, as it sounds good, blows easily, and is consistent in tone across the range of notes.

I now own a Vandoren AL3 :D

Give it a couple of weeks. It will sound rubbish and you'll need to start the whole process all over again. You'll find another, that will cost twice the price of the Vandoren, and that will keep you happy for a month or so. Then you'll be checking the prices of Guardalas and Theo Wannes because whatever you have just lacks that certain....something.

So begins mouthpiece fever. Be afraid.........

Good stuff.

I tried a friend's hard rubber mouth piece once and it was quiet comfortable, easy to blow and had a really sweet sound. (Otto Link or Meyer, cant remember).

Just waiting to save up to pick up one like that. Till then, along with my basic level, will stick to a Yammy 4c.

You on the other hand have been going up and up with your quality, so when can we expect your next piece on the recordings thread?

Give it a couple of weeks. It will sound rubbish and you'll need to start the whole process all over again. You'll find another, that will cost twice the price of the Vandoren, and that will keep you happy for a month or so. Then you'll be checking the prices of Guardalas and Theo Wannes because whatever you have just lacks that certain....something.

Obviously, you haven't seen his guitar collection yet, he's gonna have a wall full of mpc's and horns soon.

Guardalas you say...certain something you say...hmmm....interesting...

What am I saying? Pah! I shall resist temptation, and refuse shiny things that I don't need. Get thee behind me Santa...

(Theo Wannes eh?....)

Good stuff.

I tried a friend's hard rubber mouth piece once and it was quiet comfortable, easy to blow and had a really sweet sound. (Otto Link or Meyer, cant remember).

Just waiting to save up to pick up one like that. Till then, along with my basic level, will stick to a Yammy 4c.

You on the other hand have been going up and up with your quality, so when can we expect your next piece on the recordings thread?

I tried 1 Otto Link and 2 Meyers, but found that they all sound a bit muffled. The Otto Link was a bit squeaky with the high notes as well. Obviously it might be different for you though.

I have a Yamaha 4C, and tried a Windcraft Etude (now returned), but just thought I'd go along and see if I could notice a difference. I could, but only the AL3 felt better, the rest just felt different. If you can find a place to test out some different mouthpieces, I'd say do it :)

Thanks for your kind words, when I have another recording I'll inflict it on the beginners' thread :D

Obviously, you haven't seen his guitar collection yet, he's gonna have a wall full of mpc's and horns soon.

:))) hmmm, it's a thought...

What reeds do you use? The AL3 is considered a typical Classical mouthpiece (0.060") and would be ideal with French Cut reeds - such as Rico Royals/Vandoren Traditionals. You also need to bear in mind that not all mouthpieces are well made - Meyer, Otto Link and Selmer are all potential offenders here. Vandoren is a more reliable make of mouthpiece, it has to be said.

Guardalas you say...certain something you say...hmmm....interesting...

What am I saying? Pah! I shall resist temptation, and refuse shiny things that I don't need. Get thee behind me Santa...

(Theo Wannes eh?....)

These are toys. the real thing is something vintage, hugely expensive, to buy online without knowing how it will sound like.

What reeds do you use? The AL3 is considered a typical Classical mouthpiece (0.060") and would be ideal with French Cut reeds - such as Rico Royals/Vandoren Traditionals. You also need to bear in mind that not all mouthpieces are well made - Meyer, Otto Link and Selmer are all potential offenders here. Vandoren is a more reliable make of mouthpiece, it has to be said.

3, 2, 1... What about the Bari Esprit?

Disclaimer: I am being provocative, due to the insane love of Tom for the aforementioned mouthpiece.
Disclaimer 2: I have an insane love for Ed Pillinger's mouthpieces.

Hi there!

I have an insane love for Phil Engleman's mouthpieces, Marc Jean Ligatures, and Marca Jazz reeds.........anyway, have a lovely day!
Kind regards

Tom

Hi Tom. I'm using a legere signature 2 1/4 (same as on the tenor). I like the lack of fannying about that the plastic reeds bring, and it's one less thing for me to worry about. As I improve, I will try cane again, but I'm happy with the plastic for now :D

I'd read of different tolerances in manufacturing between mouthpieces (your posts and others on this forum and elsewhere are an indispensable source of info for a beginner like me), but I'm at an early stage and so was just looking for something that worked:
- for me at this stage in my playing
- for my current sax
- with my current reed
- present in the shop to try out

It may be that some of the examples of mouthpieces that the shop had for me to try weren't up to scratch, but I don't have enough playing skill to be able to tell that yet. If the AL3 wasn't such an obvious improvement, I wouldn't have bought anything.

I don't doubt that as my playing changes, and/or my sax changes, and/or my reed choice changes, that I may want to change mouthpiece (and indeed have a better idea of what I'm looking for), but right now it's the best of what I've tried, and so I'm happy with it :D

These are toys. the real thing is something vintage, hugely expensive, to buy online without knowing how it will sound like.

I am easily led, so stop it. Now.

:)

I have just settled on AL4 Vandoren after buying an Otto Link with a fabulous tone - but my squeaking on the highest notes detracted somewhat! I was surprised at just how nice the Vandoren sounded whilst being so easy to play. I tried some Vandoren blue box and they enhanced it further (used rico royals before - also filed).

I didn't have it in mind when I decided to upgrade from my Yamaha 4c either.

Now I'm going to sell my Otto Link and a couple of Yanagisawas so I can buy the Vandoren for tenor - it also sounded fantastic.

Well, there was one that I kept coming back to, and it wasn't one that I had considered (or even really heard of), but in the end it really was an obvious choice for me, on my horn, as it sounds good, blows easily, and is consistent in tone across the range of notes.

I now own a Vandoren AL3 :D

Now I'm going to sell my Otto Link and a couple of Yanagisawas so I can buy the Vandoren for tenor - it also sounded fantastic.

I wouldn't sell the link. Maybe in future it could come useful. Or maybe it could be worth having it perfected. They are interesting pieces also on alto.

Back
Top Bottom