support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Beginner Mouthpieces... how???

eb424

Locality
london
Afternoon and happy bank holiday to one and all. I have been looking at the 2 mouthpieces
  • :yess:

I have a kanee tenor sax studio jazz which seems to have a longer table than others such as the 10m showtime i have just bought.. The kanee seems a lot freer blowing its a large chamber with a high baffle KANEE Wind Instruments.. I also have a Morgan Fry Vintage no 7 that plays great but being a relative newbie i like to have the option of going back to hr or abs lol

the beuscher seems to play well with the studio its punchier than the MF but its a bit bright so.. i also have a kanee Florida the table is a lot shorter and there is no baffle but it sounds a bit stuffy on the sax... I thought if i got a large chambered mouthpiece with the same length table just no baffle the dynamics and sound would be the same but darker... looking at the 2 different syos pieces they both sound similar (admittedly its on line) but the build is so different. My point is how... im a plumber and thought that a small chamber mpce would give you brightness as a jet of water out of a hose whilst a large chamber would give you depth but not so much projection. I also need an easy blowing piece and agin thought that a large chamber would be easier lowing but not according to the syos site..... any ideas greatly received... :confused2: :confused2: :yess:

Alphorn

Locality
South of Munich
You have already some decent mouthpieces. Stick with one and just play it. Your sound will develop. If your join date indicates how long you have been playing mouthpiece flipping won‘t do you any good at that stage. I have been travelling that road myself and know from own experience that adjusting to new gear only slows you down.

Alphorn

saxyjt

Saxus Circus Maximus
Café Supporter
Locality
France
Syos have a great concept. It's all things to all people. Many say they are very pleased with their mouthpiece and I believe them. I didn't go down the custom route with them. I'm not sure about what I really want, so I went for signature models and played the lottery buying halloween soprano pieces... So I currently have 5 Syos, none of them convincing to me. I find them poorly finished, due to the manufacturing process that in my own opinion is far from great. A manual finish is required as far as I can tell, but it's not part of the deal.

It's entirely up to you to give it a try. But I have been rather disappointed.

Fraser Jarvis

Yes it’s all to easy to get obsessed with mouthpieces, done it myself (to a lesser degree 4 in all) lol.

eb424

Locality
london
Thanks all... I'm quite happy with the ones I've got..i think I'm just preoccupied with tone and projection...dont seem to be able to get power and dark... guessing time huh..

Ivan

Undecided
Café Supporter
Locality
Peeblesshire
Thanks all... I'm quite happy with the ones I've got..i think I'm just preoccupied with tone and projection...don't seem to be able to get power and dark... guessing time huh..
Power is perceived more with brighter mouthpieces

You could take away some of the guesswork and have a word with Ed Pillinger who will try to match to your specification... and his mouthpieces play well, and they're hand made. What's not to like?

Phil

Locality
France
Post some links to the sound you are after. You can have power and darkness but it depends on how dark we are talking.

eb424

Locality
london
Hi phil

The 2 syos pieces above are similar to the sound im after..got a 10m fan showtime don't know if it needs time but the kanee with the bigger table blows easiest but is almost 1" longer than every mouthpiece I've got. Bang on tuning but a tad to bright..

jazzdoh

Locality
West Midlands
What Alphorn wrote is spot on, play what you have until you know for sure through experience what you are seeking.

A few decades ago when there were lots of music shops and trying and buying mpc's was easy especially secondhand there were lots of bargains and you lost very little money on moving them on, now mpc's are expensive, I know its your money and it can be fun but you will be chasing you tail believe me.

saxyjt

Saxus Circus Maximus
Café Supporter
Locality
France
Hi phil

The 2 syos pieces above are similar to the sound im after..got a 10m fan showtime don't know if it needs time but the kanee with the bigger table blows easiest but is almost 1" longer than every mouthpiece I've got. Bang on tuning but a tad to bright..

What's almost 1" longer? I have a Kanee Studio and it's dimensions are just like most of my other tenor mouthpieces!

eb424

Locality
london
Hi Saxy jt is yours the studio jazz it's different dimensions..honest..I have the Florida too and the jazz is longer..great piece on my old selmer ref 54 but a bit bright on the beuscher.. I've e. Mailed kanee to see if they can make a Florida the Same but without the step baffle and have a rollover instead...waiting for a reply..:banana:

saxyjt

Saxus Circus Maximus
Café Supporter
Locality
France
I just measured my Kanee Florida 8* and Studio 7. They are both exactly 99.9 mm long. Perhaps @Keep Blowing can shed some light here?

eb424

Locality
london
wow that's some accurate measuring.. Defoe longer think it may be the jazz..:rofl:

eb424

Locality
london
I just thought that more air would go through it...is it possible to get deep and powerful.. this whole mouthpiece malarkey is another world... very much like the sax; one I don't belong in..:rofl:

Keep Blowing

Locality
Bottesford England
I just measured my Kanee Florida 8* and Studio 7. They are both exactly 99.9 mm long. Perhaps @Keep Blowing can shed some light here?
All the lights are off in my shed, I have never actually measured one, if I get some time in the next few days I'll have a look

Top Bottom