All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

M/Pieces - Ligs Hunting mouthpieces again

TimboSax

Deputy junior apprentice 2nd class
Café Supporter
A couple of weeks ago I went on an alto mouthpiece hunt at the local sax store and, after trying quite a few, came away with a luvverly Vandoren AL3.

Yesterday I returned to the store with my tenor, hoping to find a mouthpiece that would similarly grab me. Unfortunately, it didn't happen. I have a rather bright tenor, which works great with the band (last night we got together, I used my rico metalite M5, and it cut through brilliantly), but at home I would prefer something darker, smoother, richer. The AL3 gave me that for the alto, so I was hoping I'd find something that did similar for the tenor.

I have a budget up to about £150, and tried:

Vandoren TL3: still too bright, and in fact didn't sound that much different to my Yamaha 4c (at least, not different enough to be worth buying).

Otto link jazz: better, but still not different enough

Selmer s80: didn't like the tone in the upper octave at all, very stuffy sounding

Rousseau Classic 5: nearly there. Easy to play, darker (less "buzzy" if you know what I mean) but again, not enough of a difference to be worth spending my hard earned on

Yanagisawa metal jobby: Great tone, much more like it, but I did find it tricky to blow (particularly around upper G), so felt as if I wasn't in as much control. Also seemed to need a lot more puff to get going. I'm sure that that's all due to my chops not being any good yet, but at £215 it is also out of my budget - I don't want to be spending that money yet. Not sure I'm that keen on metal mouthpieces either, the ebonite/rubber/plastic ones feel much more comfortable.

There were other mouthpieces available to try, but your man at the shop said that there was nothing there that would provide the darker tone I'm looking for, they were all brighter.

So, I came away sans mouthpiece. I know that the tone I want is possible, 'cos the yani pretty much had it, but I'd prefer it in ebonite/rubber/plastic, easier blowing, and cheaper.

Not much to ask for ;}

rhysonsax

Café Supporter
I really love my Weinberg Zenith ebonite mouthpiece http://www.dawkes.co.uk/accessories/weinberg+zenith+custom+jazz+tenor+mouthpiece+outfit+-amw610.html

It is available from Dawkes Music with a 7 day home trial period and costs £193 with a Rovner ligature and about £20 less without.

Anton Weinberg also has a New York model at £130 http://www.dawkes.co.uk/accessories/weinberg+tenor+sax+mouthpiece+new+york-amw652.html which sounds a bit bright in the sound clip on their website, but may really be a bit darker.

Anton is very helpful and good to talk to, so he could advise you on what would suit you best.

Good luck.

Rhys

Last edited by a moderator:

ArtyLady

I'm really digging my Berg Larsen ebonite 100/2, easy to play and just the kind of smooth full bodied sound I've been looking but still edgy and loud when you push it. I'm also ordering the same in the grained Ebonite as they have a slightly deeper tone overall for acoustic and ballad playing - (I've tried the grained in 105/2 but it was slightly too wide tip opening). :thumb:

Profusia

I'd heard it said that metal pieces tend to be brighter than rubber. But then again I've heard/read a lot of things said so I'm not saying place any faith in that. But the metal Yani being dark is interesting and my initial thought would be to try an ebonite Yani although I dare say its not as simple than that.

Funnily enough I very recently bought S/H (ex-demonstrators) Yani ebonite pieces from sax.co.uk for both Sop and Alto and so far I think it was a good move, preferring the Yani over my Bari Esprit II on alto and over my Otto Link Tone Edge on sop. I looked only yesterday to see if they still had any for tenor but sadly it seems they've sold all those S/H specials. However they do have new Yani ebonites for tenor on special offer at £99 and I'm feeling very tempted. Bit of a risk I know but within your budget so one to consider given your experience on the metal.

I am currently going through a crisis of confidence on tenor struggling with different things on each of my mouthpieces. I have an old (not sure how old but certainly over 30 years and potentially MUCH older) Berg larsen ebonite 110/1 SMS piece which is my favourite for tone at the low end but which I go horribly out of tune on and get a thin tone on at the top end. The modern Bergs are probably quite a bit different though I would imagine.

Let us know what happens and if I go for the Yani I'll let you know how I get on.

jazzdoh

Bergs are very good on tenor especially the vintage ones but these can be pricey,the PPT is also good but maybe too bright but if you want dark and smoother then i would keep trying more Otto Links these generally play darker but do differ a lot from link to link.
Just to say a little on material because not all metal pieces are bright,it depends a lot on baffle and chambers,there are bright HR pieces and dark metal pieces.

TimboSax

Café Supporter
Interesting stuff guys, thanks.

I've ordered a few mp's from dawkes:

- Windcraft Etude (didn't really like the alto version, but I realise that it might be different for the tenor)
- Yanagisawa Ebonite (agree with Thomas that it's worth a look to see if it's anything like it's metal older brother, and the fact that the metal one was darker than my Rico agrees with what jazzdoh says about the materials)
- Jody jazz (just 'cos)

I've sent an email regarding the Weinbergs, thanks for the heads up Rhys. I'm wondering whether a 7* tip (which is what the website says) will be a bit much for me at the moment. Not sure where I could try a Ponzol vintage, Saxscape or a Berg Larsen?

TimboSax

Café Supporter
Thanks guys, they go on the list and I'll look for places to try them or get them on trial.

Fraser, I did get an eBay special a while back...a bit big for me at the moment, and I'm not too keen on metal at the moment. Looks nice though :D

Aldevis, yes, the Jody is a HR. I've just looked at the Pillinger website and, apart from thinking that I might offer to redesign his website for him, there's a lot of interesting reading there :thumb:

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
I might offer to redesign his website for him
it could be a huge improvement.
Maybe he could also add the dozens of models that are not listed, just to fuel more cravings.

Apart from jokes, he is very knowledgeable and not pushy. Worth talking to.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
+1 for the PPT, but mine's an older blue version. But they need a lot of side pressure in your embouchure.

I've also got a Morgan Fry 'Floridated link'. Plays easier than the PPT and is much darker, easier subtones. It's metal, but like the others, I don't buy the materials argument. But if you're looking for a darkish, smooth sound it's a good option. The PPT has more in all directions, though. You just need to learn it more.

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
+1 for the PPT, but mine's an older blue version. But they need a lot of side pressure in your embouchure.
Is it particularly open for you? The ones i tried were very easy to blow.

It's metal, but like the others, I don't buy the materials argument.

I do, but only after a certain level (I am building up quite a collections of pieces with the same facing curve). Can this forum please help me to stop thinking of having a custom metal blank from Mr. Fry?

This is supposed to be a "family friendly" forum, and I will never be able to start a family if I spend more than I can afford in mouthpieces.

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom