That is what I gather. Here, we are speaking of small congregational churches. Even in the largest, they are lucky to have a Sunday morning attendance of 100. Worship band is more like a small club band, not a big city church production.
I appreciate it when one has a skilled drummer at the set. He/she plays smoothly, finese in drum rolls, and etc. But when dealing with amateur volunteers, yes, some seem to have their own mind set. That's why I say that maybe they ought to get an upcoming high schooler who is learning the art, can do a bit of justice at the trap set. Plus, make them feel appreciated.
And regarding Buddy Holly, back some 40 years ago with the 300th Army Band, Bell, CA (east LA area), we had 2 drummers. One was a gigger in the LA club circuits. He seemed to know only 2 drum volumes - loud, and louder. There was female that I enjoyed when she sat on the trap set during stage band. She had control and finese.
Left the area because of a job change. About a decade later, looked up their leadership on their webpage. She was now their first sergeant, the top sergeant, the enlisted bandleader. I felt that she earned and deserved it.