All profit supporting   special needs music

Haynes Saxophone Manual - an update

Gadcheto

Locality
Madrid- Spain
Yeah, I'm thinking about it - or at least adding to the existing chapters. Thing is, I don't want to turn it into another year-long+ project...but then again it's better to do it now rather than later.
Better as soon as possible!

Tenor Viol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Café Supporter
Locality
Whitchurch, North Shropshire UK
I've got CS5...but went back to CS3 as I found it easier to work with.
Looks like I'll need InDesign - but that's available on subscription for £20 a month.
I've used Indesign for a few photobooks as part of my university course. It has a few foibles as do all DTP packages. At least there's a decent number of YT videos you can look at for assistance.

Stephen Howard

Locality
UK
Latest news...

I've signed off on the rights to both manuals and have paid for the 'films' of the books (the InDesign files used for publishing). Should be getting my hands on them any day now.
According to Haynes I need only remove any references to them and obtain a new ISBN number and I'm good to go.

I'm currently looking into InDesign compatibility with Affinity Publisher - which'll be a lot cheaper to run.
Once that's in place I can start to think about swapping out chapters and putting new content in.

So, no great deal of movement as yet - but certainly a big step in the right direction.

spike

Old Indian
Locality
Half way up a hill
I use Affinity Publisher - I'm not sure if it can now open recent versions of InDesign docs but it will open .pdf's no problem.
I changed to Affinity when Adobe went down the subscription road. I find it much better, and considerably cheaper of course, done loads of print docs - magazines, books, handbooks, flyers etc. with it.
Have fun . . . P.S. Your publisher will have made .pdf's from InDesign for the pre-press so those docs must be available

SaxBoss

Café Supporter
Locality
Australia
What is the cost of a subscription of inDesign for an entier year? What does it cost for the whole Adobe subscription?

PigSquealer

Connoisseur of applesauce
Café Supporter
Locality
Los Angeles
Latest news...

I've signed off on the rights to both manuals and have paid for the 'films' of the books (the InDesign files used for publishing). Should be getting my hands on them any day now.
According to Haynes I need only remove any references to them and obtain a new ISBN number and I'm good to go.

I'm currently looking into InDesign compatibility with Affinity Publisher - which'll be a lot cheaper to run.
Once that's in place I can start to think about swapping out chapters and putting new content in.

So, no great deal of movement as yet - but certainly a big step in the right direction.
It could be worth contacting a couple of potential on-demand / printers / publishers. Ask what programs they use.
It could save you some money in the long run.

sax panther

Café Supporter
Locality
UK
Exciting news that you've paid for the films of the book. Who will be playing Stephen Howard? George Clooney? Brad Pitt? Ryan Reynolds?

PigSquealer

Connoisseur of applesauce
Café Supporter
Locality
Los Angeles
Exciting news that you've paid for the films of the book. Who will be playing Stephen Howard? George Clooney? Brad Pitt? Ryan Reynolds?
I vote for Rowan Atkinson. I’d like to see him test drive a sax like he drives his race cars. Maybe an episode of the proper math geometry of a saxophone. Key heights math and why it does not play in tune. Oh my I’m having visions of a street busker (Pete) and Rowan giving a curbside tuneup.

Stephen Howard

Locality
UK
I've been told that I have more than a passing resemblance to Matt Damon...though I'm not sure how we'd work a car chase and a couple of full-on punch-ups into the story.

nigeld

Too many mouthpieces
Café Supporter
Locality
Bristol, UK
I've been told that I have more than a passing resemblance to Matt Damon...though I'm not sure how we'd work a car chase and a couple of full-on punch-ups into the story.
You need a plot line involving an international conspiracy to steal a rare saxophone, which is rescued by the hero (you) just in time to save it from being forced to play Baker Street. I’m sure @ProfJames Moriaty could play a role as the villain.

Jimmymack

Locality
London
I see Johnny Depp is back in the frame, for now at least. It’s a pity that Schwartzenegger is probably too old now, he’d have been a good fit 20 or so years ago. You’d probably do best to get Clooney. You would have to have a guest appearance for the cognoscenti.