All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

A big thank to Stephen Howard and the Haynes Saxophone Manual

half diminished

Locality
Buckinghamshire
I've had a rattly side Bb key for months and today I'd just had enough! So a quick strip, clean, oil, refit, tweak/bend, increase the spring tension, replace the little rubber tube, tweak again, close the 'end' gap slightly (and carefully) with pliers - et voila.... no more rattles!. :w00t:

Thoroughly good read too. Might even have a go at a full service when it's due, just before I take it to Griff to put right everything I have messed up! >:) Ah well, maybe I will and maybe I won't.

Still a good book though.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich
Have done that to a few keys. Big thanks from me as well. Saved me a couple of trips into Munich... So the book's easily paid for itself, but not for the spares/tools yet.

Andrew Sanders

Northern Commissioner for Caslm
Locality
Ilkley West Yorkshire
Hi Ian
Where did you get your wee bit of tube from? I've got the same rattle.
Andrew

Locality
kent
Can I add my own thanks too the list, I had problems with the lower notes on my cigar cutter alto which I could not figure out until my kids bought me this manual for fathers day.
as soon as I read that a leaking g sharp can cause the problems I was having I checked my sax sure enough the g sharp was opening very slightly, following the instructions, I adjusted the spring tension and problem solved.

Stephen Howard

Locality
UK
Cheers guys!

It's really heartening to hear of people using the manual to solve everyday niggles and problems that would only take a tech barely a minute to sort, but which make playing a horn a real chore.

Regards,

Saxissexy

Locality
Queensland Australia
I also would like to recommend Stephens Book. I also have purchased the book and have had instant success with doing a complete strip down of my alto sax. Many tips and serious info on tweaking and service your your own sax. Great pictures, excellent step by step instructions a must for any sax player interested in their instrument.
A big thumbs up Steve.
:welldone:sax:

SLoB

Locality
Bishop's Stortford
On the basis of these glowing references I purchased the book and it arrived today. Had a quick look through and it seems as if it could be very useful. I may well have a go at some basic maintenance soon on the strength of the tips and techniques, etc given in the book. I will however makes my first attempts on the least valuable of my instruments. :)

SLoB

old git

Tremendous Bore
Locality
The Palm Tree strewn Wandle Surf Beach under the o
I will however makes my first attempts on the least valuable of my instruments. :)SLoB

Only doctors are allowed to practise on their wives.

Staff online

Popular Discussions

London
Paris
New York
Los Angeles
Sydney
Moscow
New Delhi
Top Bottom