• New!

    Try our new Social Feeds, look out for the navigation icon: . You can now set default social feed view in your account preferences.

Beginner recording From Russia with love

I'm going to presume that you would appreciate an honest assessment that's based on constructive criticism. There are people who post here to "share" who don't ask for feedback.

You play without vibrato, which is fine, and shows up any wavering in tone. Lots of good long tones that show good control. From a recording point of view you are blending so closely to the background that at times you almost disappear. That's fine if that's what you want. If playing the lead/solo it's good to sometimes "stand out in front". More volume and/or changing your tone characteristics can work (the tone quality can be changed in editing through equalization, reverb, delay, and effects).

Tuning and intonation are a little off with higher pitches going further sharp. This is a case of unnecessary tightening of the embouchure. It's a natural thing to do, but needs to be tempered with making sure that your pitch is accurate. For some this may be an extra critical comment as many relatively new players can't hear pitch very critically. Hopefully you can hear this ranging from 10c sharp in the lower notes to almost 30c sharp in the highs. It's just another one of those things to practice.

It sounds like you are reading the music, which is OK, but I can assure you that you will "own" this piece if you play it from memory and can then give it more feeling. Each note stands crisply, but in playing a melodic line it's often better to play lyrically and not have as much separation between notes. This is one of those situations where precise reading compared to how it's usually played can (or should) be different. Written music is a close guide when it comes to melodic playing, but don't expect it to be exact as the player's interpretation and feel for the melody is the part that communicates.

You're on a good trajectory as a player. Keep up the practice!
 
I’m new to this website, and was hoping to see a lot more feedback than this? especially for novices like you and me.

I think what Wade has said about 'owning' the tune is spot on. If you can play it from memory (which should not be too difficult after a few umpteen run throughs with the sheet) then you should find a natural confidence to add some expression and 'emotion' to the playing of it. I also think a some vibrato here and there (not necessarily a lot) would add considerably to the overall effect.
 
Hi Guys, I've been playing alto for four years and would appreciate any feedback. Thanks Jeff

Bond theme tune
First off, well done for posting and asking for feedback! This type of post brings (IMHO) life to the cafe.
@Wade Cornell gave some excellent feedback. Mine probably overlaps with his:
- Stand out a bit more (volume) in the mix as a soloist against the backing track. You're the star!
- Take more liberties (as a solist) with the timing - it doesn't matter too much if you're slightly ahead or behind the first beat as long as this is intentional
- I'm not sure whether I'm right but some of the longer notes sounded a bit on the short side - play the full durations except when you need to take a breath, Make notes on when you can best do this (this doesn't sound an easy piece to do that!)
- Relax and focus on the best tone you can produce. The backing track is there to support your solo. If it's too fast (or too slow), use something like Audacity to adjust the speed so that you can play comfortably and with feeling.

Hope this helps.

Mike
 
When playing a song, especially a familiar song, I feel it pays to respect the phrasing of the lyrics. I grew up with Matt Munroe's version from the film. It was a big hit for him. Very classy. Sometimes the musical notation is in a simplified form and doesn't convey the phrasing of the lyric. Have a listen to Matt's phrasing. Don't be satisfied with getting the notes in the right order. Give a little of yourself and perform it. Another couple of hundred times through and it should begin to take shape.
 
Ok, I don't want to repeat what the others have said. But for four years in you're doing well.

But I'll second most of what's been said. It co[BGCOLOR=transparent]mes down to playing the music, not the notes.[/BGCOLOR]

Also tone wise, very nasal, sounds as if you're very tight, almost strangling the reed. Try loosening up, especially opening your throat and breathing from your belly, not blowing hard through a tight embouchure to get some sound out. You should be breathing into the sax.
 
Hi @Sax-E,

Don't know what key this is in (and I don't play alto) but my guess is that a lot of the melody is played on the highest (palm key) notes. Nothing wrong with that and it's a good exercise. But given that, I think you did a great job. If was me, I would probably have tried to transpose it down it bit using Audacity. Just to make it a bit more comfortable to play,

Mike
 
Hi Kev, you are correct as I have just discovered after playing long notes with the DA Tuner lite app for the first time. I am having to loosen my embouchure to tune the notes properly. I tend to play the sax with puffs of breath instead of blowing through the sax, so this will be another issue I have to work on - thanks.

Hi Mike, the tune is in F Major (or D minor) and runs between A4 and D6. It is from Alfred's Ultimate Movie for Alto Sax book and comes with backtracks on a CD. I didn't realise I could transpose a backtrack down with Audacity, but I'll look into trying this. Thanks this feedback is excellent.
 
Now that's a performance with nice expression. It seems to me that the volume of the back-track is less than the Sax track. I made them roughly the same with Audacity. Another good tip. Thanks Spike
 
You seem to have understood what I was trying to illustrate.
To paraphrase what Wade, Colin, Mike and Kev have said, - make it yours make it sing.
O.T. "Sheet Music" is a term given by the French to music they dislike 😉
 
Hi Sax-E - looking forward to hearing your next upload:sax:

I use garage band for recording while practicing, cant be bothered to tinker with the settings as it’s mainly just to check back my playing, and then i use logic pro to do recordings when i want to tinker with the settings to make the overall sound balance out.

The comment about boosting the sax sound above the backing track in the recording software is useful , or move the sax a lot closer to the mike.
 
Hi Saxbin, I ruined my first recording (which was better imho) because I forgot to set my phone to airplane mode ( = horrible distortion ).

Test the water - Dive in - We're right out of our depth, but there's sufficient support to keep us swimming along nicely - LOL
 

Similar threads... or are they? Maybe not but they could be worth reading anyway 😀

Trending

Latest Song of the Month

Forum statistics

Topics
32,261
Messages
575,966
Members
8,083
Latest member
Reedswinds
Back
Top Bottom