All fees from subs and sales are given to special needs music education charities

What should a beginner buy? First sax: Yamaha YAS 280 or YAS 62III or Yanagisawa AW01?

OP
C

ChampagneBears

I agree that this has been a trend nationally. I also believe that part of the reason some of the local stores go out of business is because of lack of support by local musicians who buy online to save a few dollars. FWIW I checked the "retail" prices the OP was quoted for those makes and models and they are quite competitive with the online prices I found, in some cases even less. ;)
Honestly, I didn’t intend for this thread to get controversial. I know what I’m comfortable with doing and that’s all that matters to me.

I feel like I should respond to the “buying online” concept. I’ll be buying online, but these online stores are local brick and mortar stores across the pond, Dawkes in the UK, for example, owned and operated by 3 generations of the same family. I don’t feel bad about buying from them (over my local chain store) whatsoever.

And as for pricing, I already mentioned that I will be saving CAD$1,000 on a Yani AWO1 by buying from the UK, such as Dawkes or Sax.co.uk (these are just 2 examples). This is partly due to the weak pound, and partly due to other factors, but I think $1k savings on a $4,425 sax is SIGNIFICANT. And yes, I’ve already included shipping and customs/brokerage fees.

jbtsax

Subscriber
And as for pricing, I already mentioned that I will be saving CAD$1,000 on a Yani AWO1 by buying from the UK, such as Dawkes or Sax.co.uk (these are just 2 examples). This is partly due to the weak pound, and partly due to other factors, but I think $1k savings on a $4,425 sax is SIGNIFICANT. And yes, I’ve already included shipping and customs/brokerage fees.
You have done your homework. I agree that would be the way to go with that amount of savings. I checked the AW01 prices in the US and they are comparable to prices in Canada. I am curious how Dawkes can sell them at such a low price.

OP
C

ChampagneBears

You have done your homework. I agree that would be the way to go with that amount of savings. I checked the AW01 prices in the US and they are comparable to prices in Canada. I am curious how Dawkes can sell them at such a low price.
1. The British pound is weak right now due to Brexit, so North Americans will be getting a “deal” buying British until the pound bounces back.
2. Items sold to foreigners automatically get a 20% “discount”. This is not really a discount per se, but foreigners don’t have to pay the 20% VAT that locals have to pay for goods.
3. Canadian duties on saxophones are 0% (based on research). We still have to pay the HST though.
4. I believe UK dealers get volume discounts for Yani’s (and other saxophone brands), as compared to Canada, for example. Our dealers probably just don’t move that many units.

DavidUK

1. The British pound is weak right now due to Brexit, so North Americans will be getting a “deal” buying British until the pound bounces back.
2. Items sold to foreigners automatically get a 20% “discount”. This is not really a discount per se, but foreigners don’t have to pay the 20% VAT that locals have to pay for goods.
3. Canadian duties on saxophones are 0% (based on research). We still have to pay the HST though.
4. I believe UK dealers get volume discounts for Yani’s (and other saxophone brands), as compared to Canada, for example. Our dealers probably just don’t move that many units.
2. 16.67% "discount".
£1000 + VAT = £1200.
You get it for £1000 = 16.67% discount.

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!

Latest posts

Top Bottom