support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Beginner Sax First sax: Yamaha YAS 280 or YAS 62III or Yanagisawa AW01?

I agree that this has been a trend nationally. I also believe that part of the reason some of the local stores go out of business is because of lack of support by local musicians who buy online to save a few dollars. FWIW I checked the "retail" prices the OP was quoted for those makes and models and they are quite competitive with the online prices I found, in some cases even less. ;)

Honestly, I didn’t intend for this thread to get controversial. I know what I’m comfortable with doing and that’s all that matters to me.

I feel like I should respond to the “buying online” concept. I’ll be buying online, but these online stores are local brick and mortar stores across the pond, Dawkes in the UK, for example, owned and operated by 3 generations of the same family. I don’t feel bad about buying from them (over my local chain store) whatsoever.

And as for pricing, I already mentioned that I will be saving CAD$1,000 on a Yani AWO1 by buying from the UK, such as Dawkes or Sax.co.uk (these are just 2 examples). This is partly due to the weak pound, and partly due to other factors, but I think $1k savings on a $4,425 sax is SIGNIFICANT. And yes, I’ve already included shipping and customs/brokerage fees.

And as for pricing, I already mentioned that I will be saving CAD$1,000 on a Yani AWO1 by buying from the UK, such as Dawkes or Sax.co.uk (these are just 2 examples). This is partly due to the weak pound, and partly due to other factors, but I think $1k savings on a $4,425 sax is SIGNIFICANT. And yes, I’ve already included shipping and customs/brokerage fees.
You have done your homework. I agree that would be the way to go with that amount of savings. I checked the AW01 prices in the US and they are comparable to prices in Canada. I am curious how Dawkes can sell them at such a low price.

You have done your homework. I agree that would be the way to go with that amount of savings. I checked the AW01 prices in the US and they are comparable to prices in Canada. I am curious how Dawkes can sell them at such a low price.

1. The British pound is weak right now due to Brexit, so North Americans will be getting a “deal” buying British until the pound bounces back.
2. Items sold to foreigners automatically get a 20% “discount”. This is not really a discount per se, but foreigners don’t have to pay the 20% VAT that locals have to pay for goods.
3. Canadian duties on saxophones are 0% (based on research). We still have to pay the HST though.
4. I believe UK dealers get volume discounts for Yani’s (and other saxophone brands), as compared to Canada, for example. Our dealers probably just don’t move that many units.

1. The British pound is weak right now due to Brexit, so North Americans will be getting a “deal” buying British until the pound bounces back.
2. Items sold to foreigners automatically get a 20% “discount”. This is not really a discount per se, but foreigners don’t have to pay the 20% VAT that locals have to pay for goods.
3. Canadian duties on saxophones are 0% (based on research). We still have to pay the HST though.
4. I believe UK dealers get volume discounts for Yani’s (and other saxophone brands), as compared to Canada, for example. Our dealers probably just don’t move that many units.
2. 16.67% "discount".
£1000 + VAT = £1200.
You get it for £1000 = 16.67% discount.

I'm back! And I still haven't bought my saxophone yet!!!

All this time, I was "waiting" and not in a hurry. Waiting for the GBP to come down a bit. Waiting for my school year rental contract on my sax to end (June 30). Then BAM! Coronavirus hit in March and I couldn't go try out the saxophones I wanted to try out. And now it's the end of May and I'm getting a little antsy that I will soon have no sax.

The thing is, I've been flip-flopping between the YAS 62 and AW01. And in the meantime, the local Yani price increased to CAD$4,999 (from CAD$4,425). I have absolutely no idea what happened there! It's ridiculously crazy. The prices in the UK shops have remained stable so that's good.

I really want to try the 2 saxes together. I wonder when that can happen. If I can't try them, I might just get the YAS 62, since it's a Yamaha and I'm familiar with it since my rental is a YAS 26. I can also get 1/2 of my rental fees discounted off the YAS 62, which is $180. Better than nothing.

Considering our circumstances right now, it would make sense (and safe) to rent my same sax for another school year, but they want to charge me the "new" rental price again (CAD$380). My sax was new when I first rented it so it was more expensive to rent. Since it's no longer new, I think they should charge me the "used" price ($299), but I was told that's not their policy so I'm a little irritated with that. :confused2: Maybe I should just let it go and rent for another year. $81 is too little to get fussed over in the grand scheme of things I guess. I worry too much about the insignificant. Tell me that is so.

Last edited:
then that's CAD $380 towards a new sax... don't know if its just me or not but i prefer the thought of getting my forever sax ASAP so I familiarise myself with it... Still looking :sax::yess:

then that's CAD $380 towards a new sax... don't know if its just me or not but i prefer the thought of getting my forever sax ASAP so I familiarise myself with it... Still looking :sax::yess:

I hear you! I want my forever sax ASAP too, but under the current situation I can't get out to try the saxes because the stores are still closed. :( If I buy sight unseen, I think I'd go for the YAS 62.

cant they extend your rental monthly in the current climate or get a 62 you can rent.....i've always found I get embarrassed in shops as a learner and end up buying anyway...lol theres nothing like a month indoors playing to get a feel...as someone previously said there a whole load of others out there... but if your'e good with a yam go for it..

cant they extend your rental monthly in the current climate or get a 62 you can rent.....i've always found I get embarrassed in shops as a learner and end up buying anyway...lol theres nothing like a month indoors playing to get a feel...as someone previously said there a whole load of others out there... but if your'e good with a yam go for it..

I can see if they do monthly rentals. They don't rent 62s, only student models. I do get embarrassed trying instruments in shops too as I'm also a beginner but I think it's still prudent to do so.

I can see if they do monthly rentals. They don't rent 62s, only student models. I do get embarrassed trying instruments in shops too as I'm also a beginner but I think it's still prudent to do so.
Don’t let your pride get in the way of making a smart decision. Checking the fingering and hearing the sound of the instrument and how it feels while playing is crucial to finding your dream saxophone. Asking others what sax is best is merely getting other people’s preference when it should be your own. Get over your fear. Go in and play a scale or two slowly one slow note at a time. You aren’t there to impress the sales people. You are there to find the best instrument for you.

I'm back! And I still haven't bought my saxophone yet!!!

All this time, I was "waiting" and not in a hurry. Waiting for the GBP to come down a bit. Waiting for my school year rental contract on my sax to end (June 30). Then BAM! Coronavirus hit in March and I couldn't go try out the saxophones I wanted to try out. And now it's the end of May and I'm getting a little antsy that I will soon have no sax.

I miss 1 big option, why not buy the school sax you have been renting? What is wrong with that sax for you? You know it and can read and write with it. I have friends who still play the student sax from 25 years ago and are perfectly happy with that.

If you are still set on buying a different one, go for the Yas 62 as the keys are in familiar positions and in my experience getting used to a slightly different layout can be annoying, time consuming process. Further a Yas 62 is as brag worthy as a Yani, if that is important in your school environment.

I miss 1 big option, why not buy the school sax you have been renting? What is wrong with that sax for you? You know it and can read and write with it. I have friends who still play the student sax from 25 years ago and are perfectly happy with that.

If you are still set on buying a different one, go for the Yas 62 as the keys are in familiar positions and in my experience getting used to a slightly different layout can be annoying, time consuming process. Further a Yas 62 is as brag worthy as a Yani, if that is important in your school environment.

I guess I just wanted to buy a long-term instrument that's a little "nicer". There's absolutely nothing wrong with the YAS 26. It's very good actually. No need for bragging in my environment. I'm an adult. But I do like "nice" things. I do want to treat myself though. ;)

I guess I just wanted to buy a long-term instrument that's a little "nicer". There's absolutely nothing wrong with the YAS 26. It's very good actually. No need for bragging in my environment. I'm an adult. But I do like "nice" things. I do want to treat myself though. ;)
Nothing wrong with that but make sure you at least try it first. Its essential. Edit: I guess if it’s a rental you’ve already tried it first. Doh. Lol

Last edited:
Ah, I read going to school so made a wrong assumption. In that case, just renew your rental contract and start testing in a shop after Covid-19. The more experience, the better you can make a choice, so an extra year of practice is not lost.

Get the YAS62. Ergonomics will be similar to the Yamaha your already familiar with. You get the discount from your rental. Any setup issues should be covered by warranty. And the Yani has gone up in price.
I love my YTS62. If you like your current rental Yamaha, you'll love the 62. I bought my 62 without trying it first. As a beginner trials don't mean much. In 3 months it will feel and sound completely different for you, rendering a playtest now pointless.

My advice is not on which to buy but on how to try them out......
refuse to be rushed, refuse to feel self conscious!Let them know you have been playing for a year and that you are there to buy "your forever sax" (at least the first of them anyway) and tell them what you want to try! a good sales person will let you try from a few feet back and let you make up your mind! A great sales person will listen to your test and give you an honest review of how you sound on each. They will point out intonation tone etc and probably point out which they think will suit your personal playing style more!

Being self concious could end up costing you alot of money if you buy the wrong horn and loose faith in your ability and fall out of love with the sax!!!! Take your time, dont rush into a decision! let them suggest other horns you may not have considered in a similar price range that you might have overlooked and would be surprised at!!!!

Back
Top Bottom