• New!

    Try our new Social Feeds, look out for the navigation icon: . You can now set default social feed view in your account preferences.

Saxophone beginners Come on now, join the band....(Beginners blog)

If the brain has something to play, it tells your fingers etc etc, what to do.
The ears are just the receptors, that advise the brain, if the transmission, to the body, got it right.
A compilation of licks, memorized or thought out, is a first step.
Thinking/writing an original solo, that starts with a first note/tone, and continues, melodically, until you end it, whether over a given set of changes, or just solo, is an "important step forward."

Just ask Cole Porter, Gershwin, etc etc etc.
Write it down, and become,
a composer. 😻
Compose a melody, to a poem, was a fun chore for my high school students.
Once they turned 16, fell in love, that was what the boys and girls were eager to learn.
Most any instrumentalist can teach someone to play an instrument.
Teaching composition/improv, is another skill.
 
Your class @cappers reminds me of an undergraduate jazz combo lab in 2020 at Eastern New Mexico University that I did. It was a fun class, your description sounds familiar.

Personally, I feel jazz can be fun, is fun, never a dull moment. You have a good band leader, who helps to build excitement, spur one on to play better.
 
................ You have a good band leader, who helps to build excitement, spur one on to play better.
Yes, the band leader Andre is a great inspiration. I thought he was a jazz guitarist but last night he bought an alto along and played that very well too.
He provided handouts for the session and will be doing more workshops and some mini sessions in rehearsals, taking a section and working with them.
This in conjunction with TTS Vol 2 Beginners Impro should help me along. 🙂
 
...
I must stop bobbing about though!

View: https://youtu.be/VpPvuLn46QE
Two months ago, I had a back injury (lumbago). I didn't play sax for 2 weeks. TBH, during the 1st week, I could only only walk (very slowly) to my local supermarket with a stick. The 2nd week, things started day-by-day to gradually improve. So much so that I decided to attend my 'Blues/Rock' band's rehearsal at the end of the 2nd week, Mainly for the 'social contact'. But I took my sax along anyway without any confidence that I could play it. It turned out that I could (with some back support while 'sitting out'.

During the 3rd week, I decided to re-join my 'jazz improvisation workshop' on Monday and - if that went well - my Big Band rehearsal on Wednesday. My back was still 'injured' and would quickly stiffen up if I sat for more than 15-30 minutes (even with 'back support'). So for a couple of weeks I stood during both band rehearsals while all other sax (and other players) were seated.

I really enjoyed standing and 'bobbing about'. 'Movement' initially helped my back from stiffening up but I quickly enjoyed 'movement' just for its musical advantages. I found that it was a much better 'playing experience' when my whole (moving) body dynamically responded to the music than in a 'static' standing/sitting position.

So my humble advice is that you just let yourself go (without any 'internal constraints'), including 'bobbing about'.

IMHO (with very little practical performing experience) audiences respond to (relative) musical quality but much more to 'engagement' (communication/interaction), enthusiasm and authenticity. Having a few players 'bobbing about' adds IMHO to the audience perception of 'enthusiasm' and 'authenticity'.
 
IMHO (with very little practical performing experience) audiences respond to (relative) musical quality but much more to 'engagement' (communication/interaction), enthusiasm and authenticity. Having a few players 'bobbing about' adds IMHO to the audience perception of 'enthusiasm' and 'authenticity'.
I think there is definitely something to that. I try not to move while playing, but I've seen video where I do bob a bit while soloing. I even kicked out a leg once. During long rests, I tap my thumb on the bell of my horn and I can't help moving around. When we played "Oye, Como Va", I was moving a lot during rests. It's such a great Latin groove. After one performance, an audience member commented on how much she liked the way I got into the music.
 
....................I really enjoyed standing and 'bobbing about'. 'Movement' initially helped my back from stiffening up but I quickly enjoyed 'movement' just for its musical advantages. I found that it was a much better 'playing experience' when my whole (moving) body dynamically responded to the music than in a 'static' standing/sitting position.

So my humble advice is that you just let yourself go (without any 'internal constraints'), including 'bobbing about'.

IMHO (with very little practical performing experience) audiences respond to (relative) musical quality but much more to 'engagement' (communication/interaction), enthusiasm and authenticity. Having a few players 'bobbing about' adds IMHO to the audience perception of 'enthusiasm' and 'authenticity'.

Firstly I hope your back improves soon. I suffered from sciatica for years because of a twisted vertebra resulting from a herniated disc. I had an intensive course of physiotherapy a couple of years ago because I was getting numbness in my nether region (!) and was scanned for cauda equina syndrome Cauda equina syndrome. Fortunately it wasn't that and the improvement has been remarkable. Still get tweaks if I overdo it though.

Back to 'bobbing', I found a pdf of Universal Method for the Saxophone by Paul de Ville and he states:

Screenshot 2025-07-10 at 14.24.59.webp

Larry Teal also states:
1. Stand or sit erect, but relaxed.
2. Keep both feet flat on the floor
etc.

I'm just a bobber! The other tenor player stands stock still and I think he doesn't like my swaying to the music, but I don't feel, no disrespect, any emotion or passion even though he is technically a good player.
 
View: https://youtu.be/5twANQ7S050 :rofl:

According to this video our armpits act as resonators, so I wonder if deodorants and antiperspirants might have an effect on the sound output?

Go 'au naturel' or apply Dove for a sweeter tone? Sanex for a fresh airy sound? Old Spice for that oriental feel? Brut for tenors? Givenchy for Selmer owners :rolleyes: .....
I guess I'll have to dig up an 80-year-old deodorant for my vintage horn.
 
Yes, obviously it’s the brain. I was stating it that way to reflect playing by ear. We use that term but the brain takes the input from the ears and transfers it to the parts that play the horn.
If there was an album titled, "beyond the sheet music" your post would be the
A side, and after studying that, my post would be the B side.

Just before I made that post, I was harassing a fine West Coast guitarist, about never writing a tune.
An ongoing battle for several decades. 😜
Maybe this time. 🎶🏴‍☠️🎶

I called him about his Acoustic Image amp and Raezer's Edge speaker cab.
I told him that Dr. Rick Jones has passed, and the company closed.
 
I seem to recall the more classical mob have a bit of a 'thing' about not tapping your feet for some reason..
It is IMO passed on from teacher to student. I recall being told that. Yet watching videos of "celebrity" pro singers, some tap the foot.
It you bob people will know you are a beginner.
We are all perpetual beginners, some pros do it.
Just before I made that post, I was harassing a fine West Coast guitarist,
I think saxists do that to a certain extent. 😉
 

Trending

Latest Song of the Month

Forum statistics

Topics
32,260
Messages
575,955
Members
8,083
Latest member
Reedswinds
Back
Top Bottom