Dr G
Senior Member
- Messages
- 2,413
- Location
- Northern California
My imposter syndrome has been replaced by blagger syndrome - if in doubt leave it out, wiggle the fingers and pretend to blow![]()
Wouldn’t it be hilarious if everyone did that at once?!
My imposter syndrome has been replaced by blagger syndrome - if in doubt leave it out, wiggle the fingers and pretend to blow![]()
4’33”Wouldn’t it be hilarious if everyone did that at once?!
I learned early on, very few decisions in life are fatal. 😉and you suddenly find yourself sight reading a new piece that happens to have a massive Bari intro/soloCan't pretend to blow then
![]()
It only takes one.I learned early on, very few decisions in life are fatal. 😉
DS or DC al Fine means from the sign or head and play until the where it says 'fine' or to the end.If anyone here wants to offer advice I'm all ears.
I have asked my teacher and band mates and I know what they mean per se e.g.
DC (da capo) - from the head, repeat back from start. Al fine - after repeat start there.
DS (da segno) - repeat back to special sign ($) al coda - after repeating back, play to the coda mark, then jump to the coda (tail). etc
But in the heat of the moment I get muddled. I need to study it a bit more.
Off to bed, half midnight here.
Good night and thank you.
There's nothing wrong with that. Being in the right place is much more important than what notes you're playing. The wrong note at the right time is much less of an issue than the right note at the wrong time...Yes! I was lucky as there were only 5 new (to me) pieces to get under my fingers in a fortnight with one rehearsal.
My imposter syndrome has been replaced by blagger syndrome - if in doubt leave it out, wiggle the fingers and pretend to blow![]()
I had to g''''e "bobbing"! Nothing wrong with bobbing, floating .... Joe Liggings (early R&B) had a bass player in his band that was hard to hear. The bari player in the band reinforced the bass lines with his (riffing?) baritone saxophone. The bass player was important to the band. He shaked hands, talked with people around, keeping the band together ..... great musicians. So bobbing about is important.I must stop bobbing about though!
Thank you @Tenor ViolDS or DC al Fine means from the sign or head and play until the where it says 'fine' or to the end.
DS/DC al Coda means back to the head/sign, play until you hit the 'coda' sign, which looks a bit like a target, then skip to the coda.
I heard on the recording one phrase where I played the wrong eight note a fraction late (D1 rather than Eb1) but it sounded ok, like an echo.... The wrong note at the right time is much less of an issue than the right note at the wrong time...
nobody seemed to notice 
So bobbing about is important.


A few decades ago I played in a band that played for folk music dances. Due to the nature of the things the tunes would be repeated many times. To stave off fatigue/boredom you might drop out for a repetition or two. Very occasionally we’d all pick the same time to do this.Wouldn’t it be hilarious if everyone did that at once?!
I do try and play the 'right' notes, fortunately in this case my mistake passed unnoticed, almost an embellishmentThere are no wrong notes, just interesting harmonies. This doesn't excuse playing off key or out of tune. 😊
Haha, I had an interesting experience yesterday. There's a local "bard" with too much money (hanging out his instruments like it was his ass) and after years he's kinda ok listening to his three chord songs but ... it doesn't matter because everything sounds the same except when he tries to be funny and butchers the lyrics. His music is like "painting by numbers", he has absolutely no ear. All of that paired with the worst case of arrogance...There are no wrong notes, just interesting harmonies. This doesn't excuse playing off key or out of tune. 😊
Wait until you encounter Strauss waltzes... they tend to have complex navigation.Thank you @Tenor Viol
I'e been studying the notation signs and highlighted the lead sheets accordingly.
I can now follow commands such as 1st/2nd repeat, DC/DS al coda/al fine, to coda/coda, fine, etc.
Got 'lost' once yesterday, so waited a couple of bars, recognised the phrase and picked it up again.
I heard on the recording one phrase where I played the wrong eight note a fraction late (D1 rather than Eb1) but it sounded ok, like an echonobody seemed to notice
![]()
I missed da coda one time, and wound up in Saskatchewan. 🎶🏴☠️🎶
Missing a coda, continuing soloing until rest of the combo realises the mistake and continues unabated - is called, "artistic licencing". 😉I've blown through my share of codas. If they were stop signs and red lights, I would have lost my license.
If the band is good, they make amends, if not, fire them!Missing a coda, continuing soloing until rest of the combo realises the mistake and continues unabated - is called, "artistic licencing". 😉
