• New!

    Try our new Social Feeds, look out for the navigation icon: . You can now set default social feed view in your account preferences.

Saxophone beginners Come on now, join the band....(Beginners blog)

...and I'll raise you, baritone on unicycle...
That gentleman on that unicycle wheeling around playing an expensive bass sax is a bit more bold than I'd ever be. 😱 It doesn't take much to do unrepairable damage to one. 😛

Of course if he is one of those who is well off and basically writes such off as business entertainment losses, drops a note to his secretary to order another, then I might understand. 😉
 
My fourth gig with the band this afternoon at a beachside cafe, and I played my first solo.

We had chosen Oye Como Va for our next gig and have been rehearsing it for today. At the rehearsal last Thursday in a moment of madness I volunteered to do one of the solos...what was I thinking?!

This was recorded on a 'phone but that doesn't excuse my poor tone, like a strangled duck.
I blame using a brand new reed! It was OK at first but after about half an hour it just sounded odd, just in time for the solo. I was better at rehearsal.

About time I posted an example of my progress to date, warts and all; don't worry it's not long!

View: https://youtube.com/shorts/YivGdTRRm-s?feature=share
 
My fourth gig with the band this afternoon at a beachside cafe, and I played my first solo.

We had chosen Oye Como Va for our next gig and have been rehearsing it for today. At the rehearsal last Thursday in a moment of madness I volunteered to do one of the solos...what was I thinking?!

This was recorded on a 'phone but that doesn't excuse my poor tone, like a strangled duck.
I blame using a brand new reed! It was OK at first but after about half an hour it just sounded odd, just in time for the solo. I was better at rehearsal.

About time I posted an example of my progress to date, warts and all; don't worry it's not long!

View: https://youtube.com/shorts/YivGdTRRm-s?feature=share
You’re doing fine! Pretty soon they will let you on the stage…
 
My fourth gig with the band this afternoon at a beachside cafe, and I played my first solo.

We had chosen Oye Como Va for our next gig and have been rehearsing it for today. At the rehearsal last Thursday in a moment of madness I volunteered to do one of the solos...what was I thinking?!

This was recorded on a 'phone but that doesn't excuse my poor tone, like a strangled duck.
I blame using a brand new reed! It was OK at first but after about half an hour it just sounded odd, just in time for the solo. I was better at rehearsal.

About time I posted an example of my progress to date, warts and all; don't worry it's not long!

View: https://youtube.com/shorts/YivGdTRRm-s?feature=share
Rock on! You look like you're really enjoying the music!
 
Rock on! You look like you're really enjoying the music!
I enjoyed it, not sure about the audience!
You’re doing fine! Pretty soon they will let you on the stage…
🤣 Brilliant!
The only way to do it is to do it, you're doing fine. We all start that way, keep up the good work!
First steps……
Must do more long tone practice, my sound wasn’t good. Not sure if it was nerves, the reed or what but I was quite squawky 🦆
 
Last edited:
Bravo! I like your courage and enthusiasm.

Must do more long tone practice, my sound wasn’t good. Not sure if it was nerves, the reed or what but I was quite squawky 🦆
Long tones and feet shoulder width apart, hipster forward, belly in (you have no belly), chest out fix your gaze on something you want to dedicate your tone to. Correct breathing. Open your chest and blow.

I'm a curious person ...

Did you had some kind of feedback (speaker...) to hear yorself?
 
Bravo! I like your courage and enthusiasm.


Long tones and feet shoulder width apart, hipster forward, belly in (you have no belly), chest out fix your gaze on something you want to dedicate your tone to. Correct breathing. Open your chest and blow.

I'm a curious person ...

Did you had some kind of feedback (speaker...) to hear yorself?
Thanks @thomsax
I agree my posture needs work, as does my tone 😱

There were two PA speakers on stands facing the audience but I couldn't really hear them.
Just heard a Zoom recording of the gig and it doesn't sound as bad as the one above.

After today's practice I asked MrsC if I sound as squawky as the recording and she said no.
She told me to stop fretting and putting myself down as I've been learning for only six months. But I'm a perfectionist :rolleyes: my parents were very much of the mindset 'if you are gong to do something, do it properly or don't bother' and I think that has become my mantra too!

This is the Zoom recording, a bit more flattering!
View: https://youtu.be/Kfn037Ujhgs
 
Dear all,

I would be grateful for some advise please as I won't see my teacher for over a month.

Is my poor tone as exemplified above due to......

a) poor embouchure e.g too tight due to nerves?
b) incorrect mpc position e.g. in/out too far?
c) a need to do more long-tone work?
d) a dodgy/unbroken-in reed? it was a brand new Alexander DC 2.
e) I need to 'upgrade' my Yam 5C mpc?

Thank you in advance.
 
Is my poor tone as exemplified above due to......
It isn't a poor tone
a) poor embouchure e.g too tight due to nerves?
It doesn't sound nervous
b) incorrect mpc position e.g. in/out too far?
That's impossible to tell, but doesn't like it's too far in
c) a need to do more long-tone work?
That's always a thing to do
d) a dodgy/unbroken-in reed? it was a brand new Alexander DC 2.
Doesn't sound like it
e) I need to 'upgrade' my Yam 5C mpc?
Only if you find something that you prefer.
 
Is my poor tone as exemplified above due to......
It isn't a poor tone

Thank you @Pete Thomas, your comment makes me feel a bit better.

I'm not fishing for compliments, I prefer the truth even if it hurts!

I know I have a long long way to go; people say I sound OK but I don't think so.
Maybe that's a sign of a budding saxophonist....never happy with the sound they make :rolleyes:
 
As you get more experience playing in front of a crowd, the "butterflies" ( feelings of nervousness) will go away. Everyone goes through this.
I wasn't particularly nervous initially - years of lecturing and conference proceedings got me over the fear of performing in public.

I was a bar late into my solo (lost track!) and in a panic just blew a B2 to get going but I don't think my embouchure was quite right. That put me off my stride and as I tried to adjust I got tense and made more mistakes.

Never mind, just random notes in a sea breeze and a learning experience for me.
Icarus comes to mind
:optimistic:
 
Never mind, just random notes in a sea breeze and a learning experience for me. Icarus comes to mind
It is your playing in front of a crowd, not lecturing, that is new. This is what makes the difference, a change to a new routine.

It is just like your first day on the job with chalk in hand speaking to students.
 
Post a recording of you playing the same thing, at home.
Most likely nerves, but let's get empirical. :popcorn:

I remember my first solo, as we came up on a rising stage, as it topped out, I stood up and played my memorized solo, followed by my tenor buddy's solo, and down the line, it went.
While we all played well, most of us, only remember, about 3000 shiny, smiling faces.
All almost 15, in '62, and all had been playing 3-5 years.
We were followed, by a well known, NYC, symphony orchestra.
We were young and hot.
Great teachers/Maestros. 🎶🏴‍☠️🎶
 

Trending

Latest Song of the Month

Forum statistics

Topics
32,260
Messages
575,954
Members
8,083
Latest member
Reedswinds
Back
Top Bottom