• New!

    Try our new Social Feeds, look out for the navigation icon: . You can now set default social feed view in your account preferences.

Saxophone beginners Come on now, join the band....(Beginners blog)

As you get more experience playing in front of a crowd, the "butterflies" ( feelings of nervousness) will go away. Everyone goes through this.
Hmmm…. Nice thought, but not always true. Even the gods are nervous when something important is going on. Or someone important comes into the room.

@cappers - a couple of suggestions for next time.

1) Don’t use a new reed, but rather one you are familiar with and isn’t yet worn out. What if the reed had been really bad? Or worse, a mislabeled 4.5 strength…

2) As you practice, try to find a single thing to focus on that reminds you of how to make your best sound. For me, it’s the Clark Terry “soundpost in the belly” concept. If I focus on that, everything falls into place - breathing, embouchure, projection and attitude. In performance, remind yourself of that. This will take time. This helps with putting yourself in the zone, a concept I know you embrace.
 
A nice article by @Tenor Viol that is relevant to this discussion:

 
A nice article by @Tenor Viol that is relevant to this discussion:

Yes. I read this before joining and it was very helpful. Thanks to @Tenor Viol
  • The fastest way to improve your playing skill is to play in a group where everyone plays better than you.
  • Musicianship* is not something that can be learned playing as an individual, it requires an ensemble.
  • Aside from musical benefits, playing in a group promotes camraderie, espirit de corps, and forming new friendships
Some wise words from @jbtsax (RIP)
  • it is confronting and challenging but has accelerated my reading and playing ability far more than playing alone;
  • my timing, dynamics, blending and understanding of music have also improved;
  • the camaraderie and collective enjoyment is an added bonus.
When I started this thread I didn't imagine it would become some sort of mini-blog but joining a band even at the level of a novice has been such an enjoyable and beneficial experience I thought it might prove helpful to other beginners wondering whether or not to go for it.

Nothing to fear except fear itself :w00t::sax:
 
You have been playing sax for c 6 months and already playing in a band and on gigs. You should be proud of yourself.

To take the step .... it's important. I regret I didn't join a band in the in the mid 70's. Maybe things would be differnt today? My first attemps to play the music I liked, still like, was at rock - blues jam. The first years I was just playing easy riffs in the background. 10 years later I tried to play "cribbed" solos.

To go to a blues and rock jam is good because they were into the music I liked and tried to play. Safer (easier) than playing jazz.

I liked to play easy blues riffs shoulder to shoulder on a packed spot. Often a more experienced player to ask and follow. My long and slow start, and to crib saxparts was not all bad. I learned early to play/honk in concert A, D, E .... . On the other side I'm stuck in Rock and Blues styles. It was my way to start to play with others.

To go to to jam can be a good thing to put in between band rehearsals.

I play(ed) easy stuff like .....
View: https://youtu.be/iXPyPy2w0mo?feature=shared

or
View: https://youtu.be/_SZCx8BrpL0?feature=shared
 
Last edited:
I'm a very big believer in people joining groups as soon as possible. It's a lot easier in an urban area than in a rural one to find groups of all ability levels.

As a general rule, community music groups accept all-comers including absolute beginners. Even if all you can do at first is play the simplest parts and play the first note of the bar, that's progress.

I was fortunate when I started cello and sax back in 2011 that there was a community orchestra in Chester that initially I played cello with, then I played cello in the more advanced group and sax in the intermediate group.

When I started playing bass I found a local group. Unfortunately I have not found anything similar since moving.

Since my move, I joined a new community choir here that started last September. Yes, for me it's a bit basic as I'm an experienced choral singer, but it occupies a pleasant Wednesday afternoon and it's fairly sociable. We sang at the town's main VE Day commemoration.
 
Playing with others is good fun. I've taken a few solo's, I don't mind getting up and 'having a go'. I've done like you and lost where I was, practiced the solo over and over, but neglected the bars leading into it. I've respect for anyone who takes a solo... I've yet to find anyone thinks they played it perfect, and thinks they can do it better next time.

We had a sectional get together a few weeks ago and there was a soli in my part, and whilst I could play the right notes and rhythm, none of it was in the right place. I need to work on my timing.

Went to watch my fellow Bari player play in a soul band, and it looks great fun playing in a smaller group... not for me until I've improved my timing.
 
As a general rule, community music groups accept all-comers including absolute beginners. Even if all you can do at first is play the simplest parts and play the first note of the bar, that's progress.
To play "the tone at the right place" is just fine.

I try to start a "parrish-band". I found 3 drummers in a small village along the valley/dale! My neigbours are playing bass (vocal) and guitar. My wife can play keyboard if she have the sheet music! The guy who is making fine soups down by the lake, is a good singer. I can honk sax and do some hollerin' ...... .
 
My fifth gig today at the same beachfront cafe as last month (booked for next month too 🙂).

Despite my previous squawky attempt I did Oye Como Va again and I think I sounded better this time........thanks to @Pete Thomas' Soloist E 😉. I was down to solo on 'Green Onions' (our finale, 2x12 bars for those who want to) and was asked at the last minute if I'd like to do 'The More I See You".

Joining a band has been the best thing I've done for my musical development and has really improved my reading and playing skills. Obviously a long way to go but for the first time I feel 'at home' with my horn and a player, albeit a novice.

I didn't intend this to turn into a blog but I hope it may be helpful to other beginners wondering if and when they should join a band/group or jam with others.

I won't post further updates. Thank you for reading this far!
 
I've posted this because I was asked to continue my bluffing-it-in-a-band saga. Read on if interested.

Played at beach front cafe nearer home a couple of days ago. Only about a dozen in the audience but they were bobbing along and gave genuine applause after each number. Some came over afterwards to chat with us and said they enjoyed it.

I soloed to Summertime, Oye Como Va, Moanin', and Green Onions. As usual I hated my sound but felt comfortable with my simple improvs. To me I sound nasal. I usually use 2.5 Alexander DC but used a 2 for some reason, would that make it sound nasal?. The high notes sound a bit strained so wondering if it's me perhaps biting a bit? It was the finale so maybe my embouchure was tired?

Comments welcome. Thank you.

 
I've posted this because I was asked to continue my bluffing-it-in-a-band saga. Read on if interested.

Fake it ‘til ya make it! I love this story.

As usual I hated my sound but felt comfortable with my simple improvs. To me I sound nasal.

“Sounds nasal”: Does it sound that way to you in real time or just in the recording?
 
@cappers I wouldn't be so hard on yourself. You're showing a lot of progress in the short time you've been playing. It takes a while (years) to develop a good sound. That said, I think if you're not specifically addressing air support and voicing in your practice routine it would be good to work that in.
 
As usual I hated my sound but felt comfortable with my simple improvs. To me I sound nasal. I usually use 2.5 Alexander DC but used a 2 for some reason, would that make it sound nasal?. The high notes sound a bit strained so wondering if it's me perhaps biting a bit? It was the finale so maybe my embouchure was tired?
There is nothing wrong with your sound. Didn't notice any straining of high notes, but did notice at the 43 second mark you went a touch flat. Is this perhaps what you were referring to? Personally, I would have tuned a touch sharp, so I would have more leeway to pull that note up to tune. But, your embouchure fatigue may have contributed to that.

Considering that you are a relatively new player to sax, I think you are doing great. I bet one year from now, going back to this recording compared with the future, you will then realise how much you have grown in your sax playing.

We all go through this. Keep up the good work!
 
When you consider the lad's been playing a matter of months, doing great I'd say. as ghostler observes you could maybe push the mouthpiece on a teeny bit further another time ?
also in the recording you can't hear the band very well, which was likely just down to the way it was recorded, in the flesh with the levels a bit more even I suspect Mr C's sax would in fact blend in and I'm sure the whole picture was very acceptable.
Well done that man :thumb:
 
Thanks all for the feed back.

“Sounds nasal”: Does it sound that way to you in real time or just in the recording?
Just the recording. I don't really know how it sounded to me at the time but not that bad! MrsC says I don't sound like that. It was taken by the proprietor on her phone.
That said, I think if you're not specifically addressing air support and voicing in your practice routine it would be good to work that in.
Thanks @wakyct Something I am aware of and do address, but I think in the intensity of the moment it may not have been adequate enough.
Personally, I would have tuned a touch sharp, so I would have more leeway to pull that note up to tune. But, your embouchure fatigue may have contributed to that.
Hmm. As you know from my Soloist thread, it's taken me a while to find the sweet-spot. It was a few mm further out than normal because I though I was sounding sharp. Not usually a problem so maybe fatigue, it was the twentieth song in about ninety minutes.
When you consider the lad's been playing a matter of months....
:rofl: It's been a long long time since I've been called a 'lad' :old::mrcool Thank you anyway :thumb:
 

Trending

Latest Song of the Month

Forum statistics

Topics
32,260
Messages
575,961
Members
8,083
Latest member
Reedswinds
Back
Top Bottom