support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Bye Bye Blackbird

Ivan

Undecided
Café Supporter
Locality
Peeblesshire
Hi Peeps

This month say 'farewell' to Turdus Merula. Frankly, I think blackbirds ought to unite against taxonomists and have the latin name changed. If you are a dead language biologist 'turdus' is supposed to mean thrush. In my household a blackbird eats worms but a turdus feeds the septic tank

I have long had a fondness for Miles Davis doing plaintive like there's no tomorrow. I don't know how he put up with John Coltrane planting his size twelve boots all over this and other gentle numbers

But that's jazz

View: https://youtu.be/KV2lNHfSXBQ

And a rather enchanting recording of Nina Simone winging it

View: https://youtu.be/BNozTrgq_Kc

The redoubtable @nigeld has done the hard graft on our behalf. Backing track-wise he has created a more sultry 125bpm, an upbeat bossa at 140 bpm and a geetar version at 140 bpm for those with a country leaning

Sheets and backing here

I can visualise this tune being a good un for our cuddly bear :)

I’ve not yet got a clip to put here but when I saw this I just had to post as I’m covering this tune as part of the ABRSM grade 3 syllabus, this may be the first time I post a recording if I can get it to sound reasonable in time :)

This is the kind of tune that appears to be very easy, but is not!

I had a go at it earlier today and although I could play the notes, it didn't sound like it. :confused:

I guess I need to listen to it more and take it in. I've known that tune from Miles Davis' version for years, but never tried to play it. So it's not yet in my musical brain. At least not as a player.

And by the way, it's a great tune @Ivan . Thanks!

Wonderful version with the great Joe Henderson on Tenor:

By the way.

Ain't that Sarah Vaughan rather than Nina Simone?

Found that other video of the same recording here.
Well spotted

I don't know... but, yes sounds less Nina and more a.n.other now you've pointed out. Sarah Vaughan gets my vote too

Even though it isn't September yet, maybe I can start things going with an old recording
It would be nothing without bari

Do you ever unleash the bass in that band?

Hello! :)

I recorded that song about two weeks ago...

There is still much to improve, but it's a beginning. :)

Cheers

last
Fortuitous

Thanks for kicking off the solo contributions

It would be nothing without bari

Do you ever unleash the bass in that band?

I did try on one occasion but it wasn't a big success. We have a couple of people in the band who do arrangements so maybe I could get one of them to do a special feature for the bass sax. But I'm not sure my neck and back would survive - at the moment I'm have moved to a harness because of neck pains with bari.

Another thought is that the bass sax might not cut through the ensemble sound well. Any ideas for a good bass sax feature ?

Rhys

Are we talking about a Bb bass or an Eb Bari. My yearning for a Bb bass subsided when I realised it only goes four semitones lower than an Eb Bari. That would be about £4k per semitone. In the early (C1930's) Dance bands, the Bb Bass was ubiquitous. No electric and so much cooler than a Tuba. You can see one stood on the end in some Fred and Ginger films. play on a stand. No problem.

For baritone Harry Carney and Gerry Mulligan have it covered.

Back
Top Bottom