PPT mouthpieces

Ligatures Boutique ligs for PPT

Are you saying it works with a PPT?
No. I don't know if the PPT piece has standard dimensions. But I know that my optimum ligatures fits every HR piece I have for soprano, alto and tenor I have, and for a lot of different mouthpiece brands. For my baritone piece, I use a HR tenor optimum ligature. I also have a optimum for tenor that fits most of my metal pieces. What I meant, was that you have to check that you get the right size ;-)

Not like me but I am totally p***** off big time . Another day wasted trying to find something to hold a reed on : the silverstein slips ; back to the drawing board...
You need a ligature that is designed/shaped to fit a mouthpiece like PPT. The PPT and many other mouthpices are thinner closer to the beak and thicker to shank. Mesure the diameter on pst the result. I have some older Rovners that I don't use. You don't need the "clamp technology". An ordinary Rovner can work.

Here is a Rovner lig that works on my Rovner mpc.

rlig.JPG

rlig2.JPG

No. I don't know if the PPT piece has standard dimensions. But I know that my optimum ligatures fits every HR piece I have for soprano, alto and tenor I have, and for a lot of different mouthpiece brands.

Ah OK, it's just that this thread is about PPT compliant ligatures, I know that the Vandoren Optimum is not a great fit for these.

An ordinary Rovner can work.

Here is a Rovner lig that works on my Rovner mpc.
That is a Star I think. (Previously called "Evo." These are great and much more adaptable to different tapers than the Optimum for example. I also find that other Rovners are good, butfor bigger tapers it's worth drillout the hole that the screw goes through to abou 4mm. The extra slack allows better forming of the ligature to mouthpiece shape.

You'll also note that the Rovner instruction manual recommends oiling, and this can actually make a huge difference. But then, who reads ligature instruction manuals? :)

I'm sure we've both said it before, but the Syos at $12 work great, at least with my alto PPT. Pete do you know if they work for tenor, or is tenor PPT lig an issue?

I'm sure we've both said it before, but the Syos at $12 work great, at least with my alto PPT. Pete do you know if they work for tenor, or is tenor PPT lig an issue?

I need to do some more testing with different thicknesses of reed (waiting to get them back from Ed who is also testing them)

I'm a bit confused by what you say because I find the tenor fits but the alto is too big.

I need to do some more testing with different thicknesses of reed (waiting to get them back from Ed who is also testing them)

I'm a bit confused by what you say because I find the tenor fits but the alto is too big.

Yout think this is too far down? The wave is a little different in size.

IMG_20201119_121009__01.jpg

There is some wiggle room as the tables on these are designed and machined to be falt, but yes - it doesn't look ideal to me.
Obviously I'm no expert, but it's close enough for the blues. Feels fine, sounds as good as any. All I can say is that I had a lot of trouble finding a normal lig small enough to fit mine.

Obviously I'm no expert, but it's close enough for the blues. Feels fine, sounds as good as any.
I'm sure it is fine to play, as mentioned due to the flat table BUT I think if it was sold as compatible, people would look at it and thing that is wrong.

Last edited:
It's a low risk investment, $12! Plus they look nice, you choose the color.

IMO thats way too far back : the reed must flap about unless it is very hard and even then...noooo

Maybe we need to do a "show us your reed placement" post?

I think most people would put in equidistant between where the butt end and where shaved part ends (or in the case of filed reeds probably wher the filed bit is.

I think most people would put in equidistant between where the butt end and where shaved part ends (or in the case of filed reeds probably wher the filed bit is.
You should have realized by now... I'm not most people in any way.
<Cue the Larry Teal quote>

View attachment 16211
Just want to ask, is the reed held well in that position or can you move the reed side to side at the tip end.
One of the problems with this type of lig is the lack of adjustment you have with lig placement in other words you have to use it in one position only the place where it bites, but I do agree its a low cost option and will suit some players.

View attachment 16211
But you can adjust the tone/sound a little bit with your lig. I get a "darker, more mellow" tone if I place the reed back on the reed. And "brighter, more brilliance" if I move it forward.